*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792743-False-Extroversion
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1411600
The Good Life.
#792743 added September 30, 2013 at 3:05pm
Restrictions: None
False Extroversion
The most interesting revelation solidified in my mind yesterday:

Being a public figure and performer does not necessarily make one an extrovert.


I think I'm more of an introvert than I ever realized. A recent article about the surprising traits of introverts (because I believe everything I read on the Internet) and a false-extrovert employee of mine who declared himself actually an introvert got me thinking about my own possible false-extroversion. It gelled at the grocery store when, like always, I headed straight for the self-checkout with my overflowing basket of goods. Why would I deliberately do all that work myself? I'm not faster at it than the cashier. In fact, the thing usually pisses me off. But self-checkout, like Internet shopping and email, allows me to avoid talking to anyone.

That got me thinking about how I hate talking to strangers, how I'm downright rude to telemarketers and door-to-door salesmen, how I can't stand being hit on at bars. People probably think I'm a bitch, if not just aloof.

Could it be that I'm an introvert in disguise?

It also got me wondering if the Electronic Age isn't creating a new generation of introverts, or at least encouraging the natural introverted tendencies in all of us. But then, at Keith's mom's 75th birthday party on Saturday, I hid inside with the 15-year-old and played video games while everyone else sat on the patio and deck drinking and watching the ball game. I only came out when Keith asked me to break out the guitar and play for the crowd for an hour or two. I was all about that, and I had fun doing it. I didn't just sing, either. I cracked jokes and interacted with the crowd. I've always liked to be the center of attention. I just don't like talking to people one-on-one, I suppose.



© Copyright 2013 Brandiwyn🎶 (UN: tuozzo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Brandiwyn🎶 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792743-False-Extroversion