*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792768
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#792768 added September 30, 2013 at 7:37pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3: Brad - No Half Measures
Brad held his breath as he aimed down the road. He could see the walkers head bobbing around in the shadows. He was trying desperately to keep the head in line with the sights on his shotgun until it got close enough. The head kept bobbing, slowly getting closer and closer.

“What are you doing?” A voice rang out behind Brad. It wasn’t a shout, but it was loud enough and startling enough to break his concentration. Brad turned around to see his assistant director, Monica, standing behind him.

“Just trying to take out a walker?” Brad said, annoyed. He turned back to aim down his sights.

“You realize if you take that shot, every dead guy within earshot will come shambling this way?” Monica said, matter-of-factly.

“And that’d be so horrible, cause you would bitch and moan about every one we killed anyway.” Brad remarked.

“Are you kidding me? Would you get over it?” Monica responded, offended.

“I did what I had to do.” Brad said, "I don't care if you don't appreciate it but at least get off my f***ing back about it."

"You, and about ten others, killed 30 people in five minutes." Monica said, stone faced. She was clearly trying to remain calm as Brad got angrier. Brad couldn't stand the smug look on her face. She wasn't in charge, who did she think she was?

"They would have killed us!" Brad said. He wasn't whispering anymore, but he was still trying to stop himself from screaming. He couldn't believe she didn't understand the gravity of the situation.

"We could have helped them." Monica said, just as calmly as before.

"You. Don't. Know. That." Brad said, forcefully and loud, through gritted teeth.

"You don't know either." Monica said. A little grin appeared on her face. She had beaten Brad. She hadn't won anything, but she'd proved him wrong. The grin sent Brad over the edge. He turned and began firing his gun wildly at the single ghoul, pumping it so rapidly he felt as if he was gonna rip the pump right off. Monica stood there dumb founded.

"I hope you know what you just did." She said as Brad's shots finally made contact with the ghouls head.

"I hope you leave." Brad said, not turning to face her. Monica's mouth dropped, offended that she was being shooed away by someone who made such a stupid move.

"Oh grow up, I was here to tell you that Nick and I raised a militia. Armed everyone above the age of 16. Good thing we did too. We're probably gonna need it after some s*** like that." Monica said, clearly angry at this point.

“Leave.” Brad said. His tone commanding and angry, but not yelling or even loud for that matter. Monica’s mouth dropped open, but she promptly closed it, turned, and walked away. “You’ve changed, Brad. You’ve already changed.” She said, coldly. Brad was taken a back, but before he could respond, Monica had turned and left.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792768