*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792777
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#792777 added September 30, 2013 at 8:52pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6: Nick - Duty
Nick sat, his back against the fence on the platform. It was late and he was tired. His shift was ending soon though, Brandon would be coming to relieve him. It had been two hours since Brad had fired the shot, and Nick was prepared to call off the guard, let people finally go to sleep.

As he sat there, he thought things over. Was Brad really a stable leader? The incident at the barn and this recent shooting made Nick think maybe he wasn’t. But who could replace him? Monica definitely wasn’t strong enough, she just wasn’t the leader type. Brandon, Ray, Annaliese, Matt, basically every one else on staff was out. They had been taking orders from Nick, Monica, Brad, and Andrew. Andrew maybe? No, Nick loved Andrew like a brother, but he wasn’t leader material either. He wasn’t tough enough, Nick didn’t think he’d be able to make the tough decisions if presented with them. No, no Andrew wouldn’t make a good leader. Only Nick was a possible candidate, probably the best candidate, even with Brad around. Nick started planning about talking to Brad about it, just talking, not doing anything, that’d be for the best.

As Nick sat there, planning his conversation with Brad, he noticed movement down the road in the moonlight. He stood up and walked over to the opposite edge of the platform. Whatever it was, it was too far away and to dark to see. Nick took a telescope out of his pocket, and flipped on the floodlights in the front of the platform.

As the lights went on, they illuminated a horde of at least one hundred undead, all shambling towards the platform and the camp. Nick, startled, backed away from the edge of the platform. On the other side of the platform, the lights illuminated at least another fifty walkers moving towards the camp, and as Nick turned towards the ladder, he could already see undead walking through the main gate and into the camp.

“Oh f***!” Nick shouted, scrambling for the radio, he immediately shouted into it “All militia, all militia! A horde is attacking the camp, I repeat a horde is attacking the camp! Report to the north side immediately!” He then set the repeating alarm to blare over the Radio. Nick, helplessly, with no way down, grabbed his shotgun and began firing over the sides, hitting anything he could.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792777