*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793053
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#793053 added October 2, 2013 at 7:56pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 11: Andrew - Chaos
Outside was utter chaos, there was no other way to describe it. The dead were flooding the big field and the area in between it and Peninsula Ventura. Survivors were either scrambling up trees or on to rooftops or were trapped inside their cabins. Few brave people remained outside, fending off as many zombies as they possibly could. Though the remaining survivors weren’t suffering many losses, if any, there efforts almost appeared to be in vain. There were at least one hundred more undead left, and they were all moving towards the small squads of survivors bravely fending them off. Some undead were distracted however, feeding on the flesh of recent kills out in the middle of the field. The floodlights illuminated these grisly scenes, almost as if they were spotlights for a horribly disturbing play Andrew was being forced to watch. Try as he might, he just couldn’t break his eyes away from what they were seeing, even as a walker slowly made it’s way to Andrew from the side. It inched closer and closer, growling and baring it’s teeth. It got close enough to nearly touch Andrew, when a shot rang out right in his ear. Andrew briefly got on one knee, covering his ears before standing back up. He looked for the source of the gunshot and saw his friend Brandon standing there, a bewildered look on his face, holding a still smoking handgun.

“Sorry, thought your life might be a bit more important than your ears right there.” Brandon said.

“No worries.” Andrew said, half-sarcastically as he stood up. He lifted his gun back up and then turned toward the chaotic battlefield. “Let’s go.” He said quickly, motioning Brandon with his head.

Brandon and Andrew were sprinting onto the field at this point. Andrew was shouting orders into  his radio while Brandon reloaded his handgun. “All militia in the cabin area and big field!” Andrew shouted into the radio, “Nick has gone radio silent, you’re taking orders from me now.” As Andrew shouted he and Brandon arrived at the edge of the horde. They slowed themselves down and began firing into the massive collection of lumbering corpses. “Johanna where are you!” Andrew shouted into his radio in between shots.

“Me, Delvyn, Caroline, and Justin are trapped in the dead center of the horde. We’re holding them back but more keep coming.” Johanna said, desperately.

Andrew looked around at the cabins. One stood just on the edge of the horde and Andrew thought he recognized someone standing on top of it.

“Kyle! Kyle!” Andrew shouted into the radio. A Zombie lunged towards him and Andrew swiped it’s head with the butt of his shotgun.

“What?” Kyle asked back into the radio.

“Are you the one standing on top of a cabin with a rifle? I can’t see in the darkness.” Andrew asked, desperate.

“Yes I am, whaddya need?” Kyle asked. Andrew saw Kyle’s shadow take the rifle off his back.

“Johanna and her squad are stuck in the middle of the horde, can you support us in getting them out?” Andrew asked.

“Sure can!” Kyle said. Bending down on one knee and aiming his gun towards the horde.

“Johanna, fight your way in the direction of Peninsula Ventura, we’ll fight towards you and lead you out!” Andrew said.

“On it!” Johanna said.

“Good luck.” Andrew said, before turning to Brandon and saying “Watch you’re fire.” Brandon nodded, Andrew turned back towards the horde, and the three darted in.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793053