*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793058-Chapter-16-Brandon---A-friend-in-need
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#793058 added October 2, 2013 at 8:02pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 16: Brandon - A friend in need...
With their backs to the water, their guns to the horde, and Kyle’s eye in the sky, Brandon was leading Johanna, Caroline, Delvyn, and Justin in wiping out the horde as they approached Peninsula Ventura. Unlike what he expected, the strategy was actually working really well. The horde was thinning out fast with no casualties on the side of the living. While the horde had strength in numbers, they had to funnel themselves significantly to move down the thin peninsula and Brandon and his survivors simply had to much ammo and just the right amount of people to hold back the horde. They were like a stone wall, unmovable. Brandon lifted his Radio off of his belt to quickly call Andrew.

“Andrew, Andrew are you there?” Brandon asked.

“Yeah, I’m here.” Andrew said.

“You good?” Brandon asked, concerned.

“Yeah, I found one survivor in the cabin. She’s a little girl and she.... oh I’m sorry she’s not little she’s twelve. Anyway, she’s okay, not bit. I’m gonna bring her out. Whats the situation outside?” Andrew asked. Brandon smiled a little bit, it was a nice funny moment in an otherwise horrifying situation. Brandon aimed and blew the face off of a walker before responding to Andrew.

“We’ve got the horde funneling to Peninsula Ventura. Literally, we almost have the situation under control. The horde has thinned significantly and in 5, maybe 10 minutes, they should have all been dealt with.” Brandon said, notably proud.

“Is a path to my cabin clear? I need to get this girl to safety.” Andrew said, Brandon could hear a bit of desperation in his voice. Brandon stepped back behind the line of fire and looked out over the horde. He could make out Andrew and the Girl standing on the deck of the wood shop cabin. He scanned across the big field, littered with bodies but mostly empty of all threats, and then his eyes settled on the nature cabin, Andrew’s cabin. The front of which was absolutely covered with walkers and zombies pounding against the walls and doors.

“Andrew, we have a problem. But I need you to be calm about this, or you’ll get yourself killed.” Brandon said. He knew Andrew too well, always thinking on his feet and not planning anything out. It worked most of the time, but Brandon wasn’t interested in seeing his friend die after all they’d been through today.

“What’s wrong.” Andrew’s voice, cold and stiff, came through the radio.

“Walkers are all over your cabin man. They haven’t gotten in yet, but there’s a small horde, at least twenty of them, all at your front door.” Brandon said. There was silence on the radio.

“I’m going.” Andrew said. Brandon looked over at the Woodshop Cabin. Andrew sprinted down the stairs and then across the field towards his cabin. Brandon felt panic was over him. He couldn’t get through the wall of walkers in front of him just yet, but his friend was about to stupidly get himself killed. Brandon looked to his left and right, considered his options, dropped his gun, and then ran and dove into the lake, intending to swim to shore and stop Andrew from doing anything completely stupid.

Brandon clambered out of the cold, muddy water on shore and instantly began sprinting across the field towards Andrew. The field was a gory and disgusting massacre, covered in body parts, blood, and half eaten bodies. Brandon did his best to look away, but occasionally stepped on a hand or stumbled over a body. Brandon managed to catch up with Andrew, but not before Andrew was at the steps of his cabin. Brandon grabbed him, and pulled him and the girl back behind a tree near the cabin.

“What the hell are you doing?” Brandon hush-shouted in Andrews face.

“Why are you soaking wet?” Andrew asked, ignoring Brandon’s question.
“I had to dive into the f***ing lake to stop you from killing yourself. Look, we don’t have much time and this is a high stress situation, but i’m not just gonna stand by while you get yourself killed for no goddamn good reason!” Brandon said, raising his voice just a little bit out a whisper. He looked over at the girl, who was standing a little ways behind Andrew, “Hello, I’m Brandon, nice to meet you.” He said.

“Gabi.” The girl responded, staring into Brandon’s eyes. Brandon felt like she was judging his character.

“What do you suggest we do then?” Andrew asked Brandon angrily, “I’m not gonna sit here while a bunch of undead monsters break into my home, kill my girlfriend, and kill all the kids under my protection.” Brandon could sense the desperation and confusion in Andrew’s voice. He was trying to sound tough and confident, but Brandon could tell he had no idea what to do right now. Brandon was about to respond when he saw Movement from the other side of the cabin that peaked his interest.

“You wanna know what we do, Andrew? We wait to see what he does, and then we help from there.” Brandon said, pointing back to the cabin. Andrew and Gabi turned around to look where he was pointing and saw a boy, Ivan, standing there holding a Bow with a quiver of arrows fashioned out of a drawstring bag on his back.

“You serious? We using him as bait?” Andrew asked, disgusted.

“No, the fact that he’s doing something means we have no time to plan. We need to help him.” Brandon said.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793058-Chapter-16-Brandon---A-friend-in-need