*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793062
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#793062 added October 2, 2013 at 8:04pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 18: Brad - Shady Dealings
Brad surveyed the Camp. He stood up by the gate, elevated on a hill that let him scan the whole front area of the camp. Bodies littered the field. They were mostly the bodies of the undead, but at least two or three of them had been living earlier that day. Though Brad mourned the loss of them, he thanked God none of the dead were kids. He’d seen more of that in the last couple weeks than he’d ever wanted to see in his lifetime. Brad his eyes watering. He sniffled just a bit and tried to maintain his composure. His people needed him. They needed him to be strong.

“Monica.” Brad called out. It was weak, moderate. It wasn’t a command, nor did it sound like a plea. “Did you send some men to Andrew, in north camp?”

Monica looked back at him, she gave him a sharp glare, “I did. Knew you wouldn’t.”

Brad lost his cool, his mouth hung open for a moment before he blurted out the words, “How could you say that? I would have sent them I just asked you too while I took care of other things.”

Monica walked over to him, got up close and in his face. “This. Is. Your. Fault.” She said through gritted teeth. Tears welling in her eyes. “If you hadn’t fired those stupid f***ing shots, none of this would have happened! Our people would be alive god dammit!” Monica was now screaming loud, loud enough for the surrounding survivors to hear. “This is your fault! This is your fault they’re dead! You lead hundreds of walkers here, but you can’t be bothered to give enough f***s as to how many of our kids, our kids Brad, tons of them, under our protection, are okay. It only comes to you as a passive f***ing thought!” Monica shouted, tears streaming down her face.

“I have a job to do! I have people to protect! I shot that bullet to protect them! I wanted none of this! None of it!” Brad shouted back.

“Well look, you f***ing killed them. All three of those dead men down there. You killed them. You’ve been a monster since the barn and look what it leads too.” Monica said back, notably calmly.

“Oh what the f*** do you know, you didn’t kill a single one of these disgusting f***s before tonight. Don’t give me a speech about my crappy survival leadership when you couldn’t bring yourself to do the first step!” Brad shouted. Monica stared angrily back at him. There people stood in a circle around them, glaring at them. Glaring at him. Judging him. Brad knew it, they were all questioning him. With a loud and aggressive Grunt Brad marched away at a quick pace, no intention and looking back into that group of doubters.

As Brad stormed away, he heard footsteps running behind him and then a hand on his shoulder. “Boss,” Gavin said, “What’s up?”

“Nothing, Gavin. Just... Monica’s words struck a chord.” Brad said, visibly shaken. they really had struck a chord with Brad, but he didn’t want to admit what it meant to him.

“Really, she’s your second in command though, you’re co-leader. Why’s she gotta go and doubt you like that? Right man?” Gavin said, laughing. He gave Brad a light tap too the stomach, Brad laughed a little awkwardly.

“What do you mean?” Brad asked, uneasy.

“Well, maybe it’s just time for a new second in command. I mean, Monica’s great and all, don’t get me wrong, but she’s clearly not cut out for survival.” Gavin said, still grinning.

“Well, I suppose I could use Andrew or someone as a second opinion but...” Brad began to say.

“No, not Andrew man. Kids good but he’s soft, he’s like Monica. So soft he may swing the other way if you know wha i’m sayin.” Gavin said, the grin became a slight chuckle after the second sentence. Brad didn’t laugh this time, but he gave an uneasy smile. “I’m thinking more like Nick, ya know. He’s strong, he knows what needs to be done. And he’ll do it too. You need someone strong in leadership, you just need to get rid of Monica.”

Brad paused for a moment, contemplating, but quickly snapped back to say, “Monica wouldn’t want to be replaced, and she’s doing fine for now.”

“It’s not like it has to be her choice.” Gavin said. Brad was struck. He didn’t say this in a jokingly or friendly manner. He said it cold, unsympathetic. Brad hesitated, but it wasn’t out of shock. He was contemplating again.
“Good night, Gavin.” Brad finally managed to say, “I’m gonna go check on everything up at North Camp.”

“Night, sir.” Gavin said, tipping his hand, walking back and turning around.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793062