*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793377
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#793377 added October 5, 2013 at 5:55pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 24: Stuart and Emmy - Bedlam
Stuart stood in the kitchen, the dim light of the candle dancing across the silverware and the appliances on the counters. Emmy sat at the kitchen table, eating the last of some canned beans out of the can. Stuart turned on the sinks water and washed his hands. Even in the dim lighting, he could see how much dirt was washing off of them and into the sink. When he was done, he joined Emmy at the other side of the table.

“Jackson’s asleep?” Stuart asked, sitting down.

“Yeah. He’s wiped out after today, we walked a lot farther than we normally do. He was excited to find out there was actually a kids room in this house though.” Emmy said. Stuart laughed.

“Lot’s of toys, I assume?” Stuart asked, amused.

“You’re gonna have to take a look at it before we leave in the morning. He’s in heaven. I’m gonna let him take a couple with us when we leave. Is that okay with you?” Emmy asked. Jackson was so excited when he saw the room earlier that night, more excited and happy then she had seen him in a long time.

“As long as it doesn’t weigh us down too much, I don’t have any problem with it.” Stuart said, still smiling. As long as Emmy and Jackson were happy, he was happy. “Yeah, it was a whole twelve hours of just walking. It was pretty brutal.” Stuart thought out loud, referencing the walk of the day. They moved from house to house every day, sometimes every two. They didn’t like to stay anywhere for too long, didn’t want to give anything a chance to jump them or trap them. Living or dead. Stuart grinned, “Just a good thing we didn’t run into any walkers I suppose.”

“Weird too, you think we would have seen more than the usual number given how long we walked.” Emmy noted, spilling a little bit of bean on the table as she did.

“Thor would have picked up on something.” Stuart said. Thor was the dog that had been traveling with them. A big, yellow lab. “Where is he right now?”

“Sleeping, in the living room. Are you picking up on the trend here?” Emmy said, sarcastically.

“Hmmm, I’m guessing it’s sleep?” Stuart jokingly responded.

“Mmhm, Law School taught you well.” Emmy said, standing up and moving her can and spoon to the sink.

“Law School had nothing to do with that.” Stuart said, doing the same. The two briefly kissed, after which Emmy began walking towards the staircase while Stu quickly tidied up the kitchen and snuffed out the candle.

“BANG BANG BANG” a pounding suddenly came from the front door of the house. Emmy was just getting to the master bedroom and Stuart was just getting to the foot of the stair case when it happened. Stuart turned to face the door, which was across from the staircase, while Emmy grabbed his rifle from in the bedroom, ran back out to the staircase, and tossed it down to him. Stuart held his rifle close, while Emmy took out a small pistol and held her position at the top of the stairs. Stuart slowly inched towards the door as another “BANG BANG BANG” occurred. Stuart got to the front door and, breathing slowly, peeked through the doors peep hole.

Outside on the front steps appeared to be a man, just standing there. He was wearing what appeared to be an old, worn out suit jacket but with no shirt underneath. He had some kind of garment on so he could pull a hood over his clearly greasy hair. The garment seemed to flow over most of the suit jacket itself. The man reached forward again and banged on the door another three times “BANG BANG BANG”. Stuart could tell he was alive, not undead. He looked up at Emmy on the staircase and nodded his head to say, “I’m going to open it.” Emmy tensed up, but nodded back.

Stuart opened the door and could now see that the man was absolutely filthy. In addition to the suit jacket, the man was wearing dirty and worn dress pants, no shoes, and seemed to be caked in a mixture of blood, dirt, and general grime. He gave off a scent that, while not unbearable, was not by any means pleasant. He smelled like a mixture of undead, body odor, and garbage.

“May I have some supper?” The shape suddenly asked in a raspy and deep voice. Emmy shuttered ever so slightly from shock, Stuart was temporarily stunned to hear a strangers voice.

“I don’t think so sir, we really need the food.” Stuart responded.

“The cogs are turning, young one. Do not let them stop before their job is finished.” The shape responded. Stuart gave him a confused look and then looked back at Emmy. Emmy gave him a disapproving look.

“Sir, I’m sorry, I really can’t give you any food.” Stuart said, a slight stutter in his voice. He was trying to be strong in the face of this... thing.

“The fiends walk these desolate plains.” The shape said. “You, you have killed many a fiend. Your loved one as well, even the boy you work so desperately to protect has killed fiends.” Stuart and Emmy both gulped. How did he know that the two were married? How did he know about Jackson? “I kill fiends, my friend. But it is all for naught. The Regulator is the only thing that kills them all. The Regulator is salvation. But the Regulator will not come to fruition without my escort!” The Shape lifted his arms wide, and Stuart could clearly see a large handgun and knife being kept in his pants. Emmy heard Thor getting up in the kitchen, the jingling of his collar. Thor appeared in the doorway, and growled at the Shape. The Shape looked at Thor, and then back at Stuart, and quietly whispered, “You will feed me. Or you will be made to suffer.”

Stuart swallowed hard again, but didn’t look up at Emmy. “What do I call you?” He asked.

“I? Who I am? It’s not important. The things of the old world, names, formalities. They aren’t needed anymore. You need not know my old world self, just my new self.” The Shape replied.

Stuart became more defensive, “I will not feed you if you don’t tell me who you are.” He declared. The Shape smiled, then appeared to be lost in thought for a moment.

“I am... The Bedlam. Ah, yes. Such a perfect name. So fitting.” He said, grinning at Stuart. Stuart had had enough of the man, but not wanting the man to become violent, he motioned for Emmy to get a can of beans.

“You’re not coming in, but I’ll give you food.” Stuart said to The Bedlam. Thor stopped growling, but quickly moved to Stuarts side. The Bedlam just grinned. An awful, awful grin of yellowed teeth.

“You’re loyalty to the Regulator begins here.” The Bedlam said, but Stuart brushed it off and turned away from the man just as Emmy handed him a can of beans and a spoon and shut the door. The Bedlam turned and walked away down the streets. Undead were walking along the road, but didn’t seem to pay him any mind. Hollow Road was a long one, but The Bedlam was not far now.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793377