*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793798
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#793798 added October 8, 2013 at 8:42pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 25: Jaxon - Halloween Decorating
“What do you think they’re building?” Jaxon asked.  He, Niko, Danny, Anthony, James, and Seth were all pressed against a chain-link fence watching the older survivors build multiple contraptions out in the middle of Hollow Road. For the past couple of days the boys had watched the survivors construction, but they had just been building walls and guard platforms, what they were building now seemed incredibly strange.

“It looks like a spider. Halloween is coming up anyway.” Seth said. Jaxon gave him some credit. The things they were building looked like big spikey balls just laying in the middle of the road. They didn’t look too much like spiders, but Jaxon could see the resemblance.

“Don’t be stupid, Seth.” Anthony said, mockingly. “That doesn’t even look like a spider.”

“Well what is it then?” Seth asked. Anthony smirked.

“It’s clearly a weapon. I bet you they’re gonna roll those things around, knocking down every monster they hit!” Anthony proudly declared. Jaxon and the other boys all stared at him. He was so wrong, Jaxon had to suppress his laughter.

“I don’t... I don’t think they’re weapons. Weapons are like guns and knives and stuff.” James said, giving Anthony a straight up confused look.

“And Ak-47’s!” Danny shouted, he quick;y held his arms like he was pretending to hold a rifle and then made a motorboat sound with his mouth. Now all the boys were staring at Danny, bewildered.

“Danny... you’re a dunce.” Niko said, straight faced. Danny’s expressions completely changed from one of fun to one of anger. He jumped forward and shoved Niko.

“You’re a dunce!” Danny screamed. Niko shoved him back.
“No you!” Niko screamed back. Niko and Danny went at each other, but Anthony and James quickly pulled them apart. Jaxon stayed out of the conflict, not wanting to get involved in anything to rough.

“Danny knock it off!” Anthony shouted, pulling Niko back.

“He started it!” Danny said, pointing at Niko. Niko shook out of Anthony’s grasp.

“I did not!” He shouted at Danny.

“I’m telling Andrew!” Danny threatened Niko. Niko seemed stunned for a moment, but then Anthony looked at Danny. Jaxon began to walk away. He wasn’t interested in the fight or how it turned out. He was just going to go to the basketball courts and play Knock Out or something.

“Andrew’s not gonna do anything about it.” Jaxon heard Anthony say as he walked away. Jaxon turned back and watched the fight take place.

“Why not?” Danny gulped.

“Yeah, why not?” Jaxon asked, curiously, as he began walking back to the group.

“He hasn’t done anything since the monsters attacked. He doesn’t even play with us anymore. He just sits in the cabin and drinks. All day, every day. He doesn’t talk to anyone and he doesn’t do anything. You think that’s really gonna change cause your sad you got into a fight?” Anthony said, looking at Danny.

“Anthony don’t be mean... stuff happens.” Jaxon said. He didn’t know what else to say. It was all he could come up with.

“What? What does that mean?” Anthony asked, his anger clearly being turned onto Jaxon.

“A lot has happened over the past couple of days, give Andrew a break, he’s probably just tired.” Jaxon said, trying to defend Andrew. Everyone had noticed that Andrew changed, and not for the better. But Jaxon like to think he didn’t mean to be different... he just was.

“Being tired isn’t an excuse to let us fend for ourselves doofus.” Anthony said. He moved towards Jaxon and leaned over him. Anthony was a taller than Jaxon, and Jaxon didn’t like being looked down on.

“We aren’t fending for ourselves. He still keeps us safe, he stills give us a place to sleep. That’s what’s important.” Jaxon said, getting angry now.

“Whatever.” Anthony said, turning and facing away from Jaxon, “I heard Monica and Brad talking about moving us all to a new cabin anyway.”

“Wait, what?” James asked quickly.

“Yeah, what are you talking about?” Seth asked. Jaxon was just stunned, why would they move?

“Andrew can’t take care of us, so they’re talking about moving us away.” Anthony declared almost triumphantly. Jaxon heard the other boys all start shouting arguments about why they should move, why they shouldn’t, where they would go... but he wasn’t paying them any mind. He was already halfway across the field, running back to the cabin.

“Jaxon? Jaxon where you going?” He heard a voice call from behind him, James. Then he heard someone panting and running up behind him. He looked back, and James was following him to the cabin.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793798