*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793800
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#793800 added October 8, 2013 at 8:44pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 27: Nick - No Friend of Mine
“Toughen up the wall right here. There’s a gap in the tree line behind it, so more undead could potentially stack on it and beat it together. Let’s put one or two more layers of wood on it.” Nick said, pointing to a finished spot of the under construction wall. The workers happily nodded their heads and obliged.

“Good catch Nick, we need a sharp eye like that if we’re gonna get through this thing.” Gavin said, walking by to grab a tool of the workbench.

“No problem, happy to help.” Nick said. He was proud of himself, he had been giving a lot of orders on how to construct the wall, and he felt he was doing a damn good job of it too. Brad was on the platform thinking things over, while Nick was down hear organizing construction. They were a great team. His quiet reflection was soon quickly interrupted however.

“You’re turn.” He heard Monica say as she patted him on the back and walked right past him.

“I’m not going.” Nick said, completely calmly. He had thought it over and was confident in his decision. Monica stopped.

“What do you mean ‘Not Going’?” she asked.
“I mean exactly what I said. I’m not going.” Nick said again, just as calmly.

“He’s your friend, he could use your support.” Monica said, frustrated.

“Ummm, he yelled in my face when I told him to kill my camper that I was basically a disgusting asshole for thinking that, and then killed my camper. Oh without letting me say goodbye too. So yeah, I don’t know if that’s part of the definition of friend.” Nick said, sounding almost uninterested.

“You could of done it yourself, hell I’m pretty sure he offered it too you, but you had him do it.” Monica said, now she was getting angry.

“That’s beside the point.” Nick said, trying to shake it off. “He’s too weak anyway. If he’s gonna survive, he’s gonna see a lot worse things than what happen to Zach. If this happens every time, I mean damn, he’ll be a liability.” Nick said. It was true, what was the point of carrying around dead weight? “If you ask me, i’d rather he stay catatonic, stay out of everyones way. Maybe even drink himself to death. Who knows?” The lack of empathy in his voice even shocked himself a little bit, Monica just stood there, staring at him with her mouth wide open. Nick wasn’t even phased by it. “If you’re looking for someone to save, save someone who’s worth the time.” Nick said, before walking away and leaving a stunned, speechless Monica behind, as if nothing had happened.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793800