*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793813
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#793813 added October 9, 2013 at 1:03am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 31: Gabi - A Hero's Thank You
Gabi walked into the cabin. She had been watching the place all day, watching people go in and out. She was waiting for a chance to come in and talk to Andrew. Now that his friends seemed to be done talking to him, and his group was off at dinner eating, it seemed like a perfect chance to speak to him. Andrew was lying down on his bed, face in his pillow. There were several empty beer bottles all over the floor, but there was a notably uncapped but full one right next to the bed. As Gabi walked farther into the cabin, the floor creaked and Andrew turned and looked at her.

“Why would they send you here?” Andrew asked, confused.

“No one did. I came on my own.” Gabi said, approaching the bed.

“Why?” Andrew said, sitting up. He now really did look confused.

“To say thank you. I wanted to wait for everyone else to be done though, I have a feeling they don’t want kids running in here just to see what you looked like. I didn’t want to get denied.” Gabi said. She sat down on one of the boys beds.

“What are you saying thank you for?” Andrew asked.

“You saved my life. Without you I would have died, you know that.” Gabi said, almost happily. She found it strange that Andrew didn’t seem to realize why she was thankful.

“You wouldn’t have died.” Andrew very quickly said, Gabi rolled her eyes.

“I know I would have died. I’m not stupid just because I’m a girl you know?” Gabi quickly responded, feigning offense.

“No, you’re stupid because you’re a kid, Miss Sassmaster.” Andrew responded jokingly. Gabi let out a loud laugh, and Andrew laughed aloud with her. It then got quiet again.

“Only three people came to see you, why?” Gabi asked.

“After Brandon came I told my group to tell people not too come, specifically Annaliese. No one should see me like this, especially not her.” Andrew said rather quickly. Gabi heard a hint of regret in his voice.

“You shouldn’t be like this anyway, you’re a hero, not a bum.” Gabi said.

“I’m no hero. Just a kid who managed to do the right thing at the right time, and the questionable thing at the questionable time.” Andrew joked. His voice became weak and hushed.

“You killed Zach, but you saved me. Without you, neither of us would be here right now, not just one. I’m a smart kid, Andrew, this camp needs you, I can tell.” Gabi said. Andrew sighed, stood up, and walked towards the mirror hanging on the wall.

“And why would they need me, they have a leader. And they have all the miny leaders.” Andrew said, straightening his hair with his hand while he looked in the mirror.

“Because they need a strong leader. They need a hero, just like I did.” Gabi said. Andrew shook his head.

“Well maybe that hero will come a long someday.” He said, with a forced smile on his face. Andrew went back and sat on his bed as Gabi sighed, stood up, and walked too the door. Just as she reached the door though, she remembered something.

“Andrew, who was that man talking to one of your campers today?” Gabi asked, curiously.

“What man?” Andrew asked.

“I don’t know. He was tall, had a lot of facial hair, wore dress clothing which was dirty and worn out and stuff. Plus he had no shoes. He was really dirty too. I think I saw him talking too... Seth? Just outside the cabin, near the fire pit.” Gabi said. Andrew seemed to freeze for a moment, then got up and walked straight into the bathroom. Gabi smiled.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793813