*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/794978
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#794978 added October 19, 2013 at 2:06am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 39: Ivan - Skills You Already Had
The Walker was tied to the stake by the neck, like some kind of animal. Eight of them stood in a line, each tied to a stake by the neck. Each one had their hands outstretched towards the kids. Each one was snapping their teeth together, gnawing at the sight of the young flesh standing in front of them. Ivan could see frost that had built up on the walkers dead skin overnight, now melting in the rising October sun.

“This isn’t normal target practice, is it?” He asked. He knew the answer, but he also knew Andrew was waiting for the question. A question no one else was gonna ask.

“No. It’s not.” Andrew said, coldly. The happy demeanor from earlier at the cabin was now gone.
They weren’t at Fireside, they were at the peak of Mount Tempest, in a small field like clearing. It was a small hike from the camp to get to the peak, just about twenty minutes. Andrew had the kids do it every other morning to build up their physical stamina. Ivan actually liked the hike, it was one of the only things that made him feel normal, like they were just taking a hike at camp or something. They would laugh and joke the whole way up there. Andrew would always have his gun at the ready, but they’d only seen a walker one time, and even then Andrew killed it with his knife, away from all of them.

“What are we gonna do.” Ivan asked. The crossbow felt heavier in his arms all of a sudden. He looked around and could see that the other boys were trying to look away from the Zombies, Gabi even seemed unable to stand the sight of them. Jaxon looked like he was gonna be sick, poor kid had a weak stomach.

“Each of you needs to kill one, from the usual shooting distance. They won’t be moving in anyway, and their head is pretty much fastened in place. You all know what to do, and I know you’re all capable of doing it.” Andrew said.

“I’ve.... I’ve never killed a person before...” James said, distantly. He was looking down at the ground, kicking a rock back and forth with his foot.

“I’ve never killed anything...” Anthony said. Ivan looked over at Anthony, who seemed genuinely upset with the idea of killing something.

“I know, I know. But I need to know you’re all capable of doing what you need to do. I need to know you can do what you need to do to survive. These aren’t people, not anymore. They’re monsters. And monsters have to be dealt with.” Andrew said. Ivan looked at the face of the Zombie most directly across from him. It’s face was wrinkled and decayed, missing half it’s jaw. It’s eyes seemed locked on Ivan. It bared it’s teeth and swung it’s arms wildly at him, but to no avail.

“How long do we have to kill them?” Ivan asked, glancing at Andrew. He heard Jaxon take a big gulp.

“As long as it takes. But no one leaves until each one is dead and every ones killed one. And sound isn’t an issue. We’re far enough away from camp that walkers won’t be drawn to it.” Andrew said, crossing his arms. Ivan could tell he wouldn’t budge. Ivan eye’d the walker across from him one last time, then he lifted the crossbow.

“Why wait then.” Ivan said, quickly centering his shot and firing. The crossbow made a quick swishing sound and the bolt flew through the air, hitting the walker right between the eyes. It slumped over, dead. Ivan had done it before, killed a walker before. Failed to stop one from killing Zach. This wasn’t hard for him, but he heard Jaxon throw up, turned around and saw him on the ground. Ivan lowered the crossbow, slinging it back across his back, and walked over to Jaxon. Andrew was visibly surprised, as Ivan beat him to the kid.
“Come on, you’re fine. Get up. Don’t be a baby.” Ivan said. He crouched down, pulling out a plastic bag of tissues he had in his pocket and wiped Jaxon’s mouth. He made sure not too kneel down in the pile of throw-up. He turned slightly too see Andrew’s reaction, Andrew just had an impressed look on his face. Ivan turned back to Jaxon, grabbed the younger boys hand and pulled him up. “You’re good.” Ivan said. Jaxon looked at Ivan, and shook his head in a silent “Thank You.”

A gunshot rang out. Ivan snapped his head around to see Gabi aiming down her sights at a now dead walker, slumped over with it’s arms dangling towards the ground. She looked over at Ivan, her reaction was some kind of twisted mix of pride, success, disgust, and sadness. But she didn’t cry. And she didn’t throw-up. Ivan heard a safety click, and then saw Anthony sim his gun down range. The gunshot rang out, and the walker in front of him slumped over just like Gabi’s. James was next, then Seth, then Niko and Danny. Soon only one walker remained.

Jaxon took his pistol out of his holster and held it with both his hands. Ivan patted him on the back, and Andrew gave a re-assuring nod. Jaxon took a deep breathe, walked until he was directly in front of his walker but behind the line of fire, aimed his gun... and hesitated. Ivan looked at him, confused.

“I can’t do it.” Jaxon said. Lowering the gun, a tear started running down his face. A tear that soon became many as he collapsed to the ground on his knees.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/794978