*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796379-Similar-experiences
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#796379 added November 1, 2013 at 3:27am
Restrictions: None
Similar experiences?
California experiences every national holiday differently than other parts of the country; I just have this feeling, there's little scientific evidence to back my hypothesis. Due to our tropical/desert weather, one would expect that means the experience is better. But that depends which ideal holiday setting one prefers. Is Christmas brighter when the snow drifts heavily outside your home's bay window? I would not know -- never experienced it.

I have only experienced a Times Square New Year's Eve because I can see it unfold on television. I only have a vague idea of the amount of layering to allow for on a New York city street at 11:59 p.m. intimately surrounded by hundreds upon thousands of other people. I can estimate the bodily preparation required by having spent a four hour evening shift in late December of 2009 doing the volunteer floral assembly on a Tournament of Roses Parade float in 45 degree Farenheit still air. I also expect as uncomfortable as I was in that temperature, it's hardly comparable.

I see pictures of one of my Midwestern cousin's clan out for Halloween Trick or Treatin' and wonder if curfews are followed just so children return without frostbite? And yet I also know their tolerances to cold are set at a higher bar than mine as well. I'm only just pulling out sweaters and putting away shorts and sandals having reached November.

I'd like to know if any readers that come across my blog have similar stories to tell --- How does living in a particular area of the world color your understanding of people in different circumstance?

On a more serious, but related tangent, I made a personal note to my government today, at the urging of the group, ONE. I want the U.S. to guarantee this year to put forth an impactful amount to hammer away at AIDs, Malaria and TB across the globe. Diseases I know of, but have little fear of contracting due to all that I have been provided in my American life. And I'm grateful -- so very grateful -- Suddenly being aware enough to see how the economic strength of this country, and of others allows us to have a needed, active, compassion in the world.

And feeling just a bit of shame for what I complain over at times, or what my children mightily fuss about that they go without. I know there are nice treats that I allow myself more often than a body needs. If I could just let some of my life's necessities become the donations that make this guarantee happen consistently, And a bit hopeful that because not everyone is aware, that so by speaking these words, I direct others to the words of ONE.org.

© Copyright 2013 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796379-Similar-experiences