*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796594
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#796594 added November 2, 2013 at 2:04pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 47: Brad - Lead us to Grace
When the Earth is but dust
And the Dead walk this place
The Regulator will arrive
And lead us to Grace
The Patriots will fight
And the Angels will cry
But it will be hell on Earth
Should the Regulator die


Brad stared at the writing on the rotten wooden wall. It seemed to have been written in some kind of marker, and very recently. “He really is obsessed with the idea of this Regulator guy, huh?” Brad said to himself. It was a curious thing. Did the Bedlam actually believe Andrew, of all people was the savior of the world? Brad had watched Andrew grow up. Sure, the kid had risen above the bullies and the oppression he’d faced and become a strong young man, but he was no leader. He could handle a bunch of eight year olds, but Brad was sure he couldn’t even handle leading the camp, let alone the world. Brad turned away from the wall and began inspecting the rest of the lodge.

Old, unmarked cans were strewn around the ground. The Bedlam had been clearly eating raw food out of the cans for several days now. Some mostly devoured carcasses of squirrels were also strewn about. They were uncooked, eaten raw. A dirty, ragged old beach towel was laid out on the ground in the “center” of the lodge, just in front of the fire place. Brad assumed this was both his bed and his blanket. Brad could see what appeared to be a lump in the middle of bedding, so he knelt down and pulled back the towel.

Laying on the ground in front of him now was an old, three ring binder. Curiously, Brad flipped it open. There was no paper inside, but their was some writing. In the same black marker.

The Regulator must rise
He needs the Regulator
The Regulator must no him


That was it. Brad was starting to get an eerie vibe from all this. It was just a very weird feeling, the Bedlam was clearly obsessed with Andrew fro some reason. He was delusional, crazy, and dangerous. Brad flipped it over and closed it, only to find one last message on the back.

The Regulator must know
The flock must be thinned


Brad gulped hard, he tried to think what The Bedlam meant by flock, but nothing came to mind.

“Curious one, aren’t you.” Brad heard a raspy voice say behind him. Shocked, he spun around and held his shotgun out in front of him. The Bedlam stood their looking at Brad, un-phased by the gun in his face.

“You make one f***ing move and it’ll be your last.” Brad said, trying to sound tough and keep control of the situation.

“Waited a long time to say that, have you? hmmm?” The Bedlam asked, still un-phased.

“What do you want with Andrew?”

“The Regulator has a very important role to play in this world. T is not one that anyone else can play, I will lead him into that role.”

“You won’t lead him anywhere.”

“Do you really believe you still have time to stop the key from turning? No, no it was already unpreventable. Maybe if this wretched plague hadn’t taken our land, stripped us of our homes and our modern comforts, than maybe the key wouldn’t have fit in the lock. But their is no longer time for that, or to dwell on how we could have changed the past. He, your “Andrew”, must become The Regulator. He has seen it and foretold me. This world is full of trials. The meddler, the mad man, the angels and the demons. I know of this. I have no interest in the old world, but I also do not want a new world run by these fools who will just repeat the cycle and plunge the world into an ever lasting abyss of darkness and despair. I do not come as a friend, nor am I an enemy. Your people will feel my influence radiate into their lives, but it will not be pain and it will not be relief. My plans for the Regulator will end up being neutralizing to your people in the now, but in the future they will see all the benefits. The Regulator is the savior, but I must give him that push.” The Bedlam ranted. Brad got the message, but also recognized that the Bedlam was not exactly in a healthy state of mind.

“You’re crazy.” Brad declared.

“Yes, but to do the things I’ve done and the things I must, you can not exactly stay fully sane.” The Bedlam said, stepping towards Brad. Brad tightened the grip on his gun, but didn’t pull the trigger.

“Fire on me and there will be no future.” The Beldam said in a completely declarative tone. Brad took a deep breath and re-tightened his grip. The Bedlam walked right up to the barrel of his gun.

Brad lowered his gun. “You stay away from my people, I will kill you the second you get close to me. I’m telling Andrew where you’ve been living the second he gets back too.” Brad said, trying to sound tough even though the situation was clearly out of his control. The Bedlam just stared at him as Brad slung his rifle over his shoulder and left.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796594