*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796736
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#796736 added November 3, 2013 at 7:32pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 48: Brandon - One Shot, Two Shot
“You aren’t very good at this are you?” Brandon taunted, dribbling the basketball between his legs.

“It’s just really cold, that’s why! If it were warmer we could easily take you guys!” The twelve year old boy, Jake, shouted.

“Yeah, it’s just too cold!” Another boy, Elijah, followed up.

“Oh come on. You’re playing a team that consists of your counselor, Andrew’s eight year old campers, and a girl. I’m wearing shorts and a t-shirt for christ’s sake!” Brandon exclaimed jokingly. Andrew’s group giggled, but Gabi shot Brandon an annoyed glance. Brandon playfully brushed it off.

“You shouldn’t even be playing for their team, you should be playing for us!” Elijah exclaimed.

“Yeah well, maybe when Andrew’s back I will. But until then…” Brandon said. He quickly passed the ball to Anthony who dribbled it up the court and passed it to Gabi as she ran by him. Gabi passed it to James, who passed it to Jaxon. Jaxon dribbled up the court, went to take the shot, and was immediately shoved onto the cold hard pavement by another of Brandon’s kids, Matt. Jaxon slid on the ground, scraping up his arm real bad. He stood up and a long scrape along his entire forearm began to bleed ever so slightly.

“Ow!” Jaxon screamed, but he didn’t cry. “What was that for?”

“Oh, shut up.” Matt said, blowing him off and turning back to the game.

“No, Matt.” Brandon asked, “What was that for? That’s not how you play the game, you don’t shove players on the opposing team.”

Matt laughed slightly, “Like I care about the game, I just took an opportunity to shove him cause he’s a little bitch.” Matt turned and began to walk off the court, Gabi and James led Jaxon off the court to get a bandage while the rest of the group followed them. Brandon followed Matt.

“We don’t call names here. Nothing changed just cause we’re in a crisis.” Brandon declared.

“Calling names? I was just stating fact. The kids a bitch, can’t even kill a Zombie that’s restrained by the neck.” Matt said, continuing to walk away.

“You’re gonna apologize.”

“No I won’t. The kids weak, he’s not meant for this world and he’s not gonna live much longer here. I’m not gonna be nice to someone who can’t help me survive.”

“No you are. Surviving isn’t just about you pulling through this, it’s about working together to survive. It’s about keeping your humanity while doing so. Humanity isn’t lone wolfing it and letting the weak crumble under your feet.”
“So you admit that he’s weak? And I’m all for helping each other out, but he’s not going to help me out, so I won’t help him.” Matt said, a sort of anger in his eyes. Brandon was about to respond when an alarm went off. They both turned to see that the camps main gate was being opened from the outside. In wandered a man who appeared disheveled and homeless, like he had been running around the apocalyptic world for a long time now. And as he swung open the door, in poured a horde of zombies.

Brandon quickly turned to Matt and said, “We’ll talk about this more later, go get back to the cabin. Now!” Brandon tore out his pistol and began running towards the gate, his campers running back to his cabin. It wasn’t until he was half way there that he realized Andrew’s campers were with him. “Go back to your cabin!” Brandon screamed.

“No!” James shouted, sprinting past Brandon and taking a spot on the fence that overlooked the driveway. The rest of the boys followed James and Brandon ran into the parking lot.

“Get back!” Brandon shouted, the man looked at Brandon, shocked, but then ran behind him. Brandon began shooting at the horde that was pouring in through the open gate. It felt like, for every walker he shot to the ground, another two came through the gate. What’s worse, Brandon was all alone in this endeavor. Whoever had been on guard duty must have been skipping, cause no one was on the platform or in the gates guard tower. The horde was growing larger and larger, and Brandon couldn’t do anything to stop it.

BANG

Brandon saw a zombie in front of him go stiff and fall over, blood flowing out it’s head.

BANG BANG

Two more zombies fell over onto the ground.

BANG

A zombie flinched as a bullet hit it’s shoulder. Brandon finally turned around and saw Jaxon, standing up on the fence and reloading his gun. The other kids were standing around him, looking dumbstruck at the sight. Starting with Gabi though, they all drew their weapons and climbed onto the fence themselves. “Brandon, go!” Jaxon shouted. Brandon smiled, turned around and held out his gun.

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

Brandon sprinted forwarded into the masses, Zombies were dropping left and right, though some of the shots were just knocking walkers back or hitting the dirt in the driveway.

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

A chorus of bullets was streaming over Brandon’s head as well as from his own gun. Walkers all around him were dropping to the ground dead as Brandon sprinted towards the gate.

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

Bullets flew gracefully through the sky, clearing Brandon’s way to the gate. Brandon grabbed the gate, shot a walker as it reached for his hand, and slammed the gate shut. Breathing a sigh of relief, Brandon turned and killed one final walker before it lunged at him. Blood spurted all over him, and Brandon took a deep breathe and looked up at Andrew’s group, still standing on the fence with their guns drawn. Brandon nodded a nod of gratitude, and the kids stepped down.

“Who the f*** are you!” Brandon said, storming up to the drifter, gun at the ready.

“Please, please don’t hurt me! Me and my friends, there’s four of us, were just looking for some shelter.” The man said, cowering away from Brandon’s gun. Brandon sighed, and lowered the gun.

“Come with me.” He said.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796736