*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796820-Swap-Meet-at-Manitowoc
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#796820 added November 4, 2013 at 10:19am
Restrictions: None
Swap Meet at Manitowoc
Yesterday Roger and I went to Manitowoc, which is over by the Great Lakes. There was a swap meet being held there and some great RC Model Airplane buys were to be had. It’s a buyers market these days and some great stuff was going for fire-sale prices.

I bought a nice looking sixty-sized model for $35, three sixty-sized engines for about thirty dollars each, and a wing for $1. There were also some mystery boxes full of old components I bought for $5 dollars each. My friend Roger tried to sell his plane and didn’t even bother to approach the auction table as the day came to a close. Nobody was bidding and he wanted a couple hundred for his model.

However, it was the $1 wing that fascinated me. It must have come off something that crashed and it is beautiful. It was designed to attach to a mid wing fuselage. It had flaps as well as ailerons and an expensive coating. I have no idea what it came off of except it was BIG. Each half were close to 3 feet in length and with the space for the fuselage it must have been on an airplane that had a wingspan of 100 inches. A tree trunk cut to cord size is a hundred inches in length, so you can imagine how big the airplane must have been. It looks to me almost like a drone wing, but it might have been one off a crop-duster (CD) model. It had the struts like a CD so that might be what it came off of.

It took three hours each way so I was glad we had the Prius. The cost of gas was just over ten dollar each. It’s hard to imagine what a 50 mpg car translates to at the gas pump. The same trip in my truck, hauling the trailer, would have cost us over $30 dollars apiece. Plus, in the back of the Toyota was room for 3 airplanes.

Well, the Exploratory Writing Workshop is over and I will need to get started updating all the lessons learned and revising the course plans (pages). When I designed the course I took it as a “Shadow Student” the first time through to get a first hand feel for how it would flow. I never showed the material to the students but perhaps I should have because it shows examples of what I was looking for. I think I’ll find ways to integrate that file into the syllabus. One student I showed it to really found it useful.

If anybody wants to check out the file it is at...

 Volusia  (E)
This novelia is a series of short episodes on Rindar and Volusia, a prehoristic couple.
#1797844 by percy goodfellow


© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796820-Swap-Meet-at-Manitowoc