*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797197-Changing-the-Subject
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#797197 added November 8, 2013 at 8:50am
Restrictions: None
Changing the Subject
Yesterday, after the chores, Linda and I went up to Warren’s, (Pope’s Hobby Land) in Wausau. He’s closing out his store this month and it is sad to see a lifetime’s work coming to an end. He gave me a plane a customer never finished with an engine missing a muffler. It was a nice gesture. I’m a good customer but he didn’t have to do that.

When we were leaving the wing was too large for the trunk and it had to go on the floor in the back seat. The dog stepped on it and cracked the balsa on one of the ailerons. I freaked out and Linda got on my case.

“Remember when we were in Germany,” she asked?

“What about it?” I replied.

“The time we went to the auction and stayed all day because you just had to bid on that stain glass window?”

“Seems I remember.”

“How our daughters were really upset because they wanted to be home with their friends?”

“Yeah, Leigh was really ticked off.”

“How you told her to carry it out to the car and put it in the trunk?”

“Don’t go there.”

“How she threw it inside, slammed the lid and the glass shattered?”

“I hate flashbacks!”

How you lashed out..., “That window had class, once graced a fine English home, survived the Blitz, and was well over one hundred years old.”

“I remember she started crying.”

How you hollered, “… and in your hands it lasted less than two minutes before it was smashed to smitherines.”

“Okay, Okay,” so what’s the point?” (As if I already didn’t know.)

“The point is,” she answered back, “…who is more important, that damned airplane or our sweet and wonderful dog, cowering in the back seat?”

“That damned dog,” I replied, trying to sound contrite. “Want to go to Olive Garden for lunch?”


© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797197-Changing-the-Subject