*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797331
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#797331 added November 9, 2013 at 2:58pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 50: Andrew - Clean Up Crew
“Nick’s gonna search outside, me and you are gonna find whoever we can inside.” Andrew said, passing the newly clothed Stuart a pistol.

“And what about those other survivors?” Stuart asked.

“Nick’s gonna tell ‘em about the camp, but whatever they do is up to them.” Andrew said. He raised his shotgun into a ready position, resting it on his shoulder. “Now, let’s go save your family.”

Andrew and Stuart walked out of the basement, guns at the ready. They slowly crept around the ground floor of the house. Andrew could hear Belinda making sobbing sounds in the other room. He tried to block it out, but the eerily disturbing sounds kept permeating his ear drums. But he had to find this girl and this kid, he had to concentrate, so he shook it off and kept moving. Andrew and Stuart walked up to the stair case and stopped.

“Wait, wait. We can’t go up there yet.” Stuart said.

“What do you mean? Why?” Andrew asked.

“The guy has traps all over the second floor… he has to disable them to get down here but I don’t think we’ll be able to get back up there while they’re in place.”

“What do we do?” Andrew asked, concerned. Stuart looked around nervously, gulped, and then tilted his head toward the room Belinda was sitting in.

“We need to make her scream.” Stuart said. Andrew shuddered, but the two walked into Belinda’s room. She sat their sobbing in her chair. They had to do it, it was the only way to get the Madman to come running. Andrew intended to cause her as little pain as possible, and knowing she screamed just from being touched, he intended to do just that.

Andrew walked up to Belinda and touched her bruised, scarred, burned skin. She didn’t react, just continued her silent sobbing. Andrew poked her, slightly forcefully, but all she did was squirm around uncomfortably. She wasn’t gonna scream from this. “s***.” Andrew said under his breath.

“It needs to be worse.” Stuart said, gravely.

“f*** man, she flipped a s*** when I touched her earlier.”

“Well it’s not going to happen now. You need to actually cause her pain.” Stuart said. Andrew gave him a disgusted look, but relented and looked back at Belinda. He sighed, and took a small pocket knife out of his jacket. He opened up the tiny, dull, but clean blade and wrapped his fist around it.

“I’m really sorry for this.” Andrew said, even though he knew she couldn’t hear him. He walked around behind her and stabbed Belinda in the back, hoping it would take the Madman a little while to find the wound.

Belinda screamed a bloodcurdlingly smothered scream. Andrew’s chest heaved, the sheer gravity of what they were doing was making him sick, but Stuart quickly grabbed him up and they rushed back to the staircase, hiding behind it.

It wasn’t long before they heard the telltale footsteps of the Madman rushing down to the first floor too see what was wrong. The second he was off the stairs and in Belinda’s room, Andrew and Stuart rushed up the stairs. Andrew still managed to hear the Madman say “Belinda, my dear, what are you doing?” In a calm voice that made Andrew’s skin crawl.

The second floor was a mad house. The floor was littered with bear traps, knives standing up on their own, glue traps, blood, and what appeared to be human entrails. The smell alone was almost over powering, and Andrew lifted up his shirt to cover his mouth as they made their way around. An axe hung from the ceiling and was tied to a tripwire, which would release it and kill whatever came close to it. Andrew and Stuart carefully tip-toed around the second floor to get to the first door. There were three rooms. Andrew opened the first door, closest to the stair case and on the right. Nothing special here, it was just an office and it appeared to be completely untouched. It was dusty, but there was no other signs of abandonment or apocalypse in the room. Andrew quickly shut the door and the two moved on to the next door.

Andrew stepped into the room, clearly built for a child. This was James old room. Toys were still spread around the floor, a small TV and a Nintendo Wii were in the corner, a bunk bed was pressed up against the window, and a small desk was pressed up against the was pressed up against the wall. This room, like the last one, seemed completely unused. Andrew walked inside and walked over to the desk. There he found a picture of James with two adults, his mother and father. Andrew picked up the picture and smiled ever so slightly before slipping it into his coat pocket.

“You done shopping? We don’t have much time.” Stuart said. Andrew snapped back to reality and the two left James’ room, closing the door.

Andrew and James moved towards the last door, towards what Andrew assumed would be the master bedroom, and pushed it open. What they found was a nightmarish sight. Blood covered every inch of the room, with bits of entrails and meat scattered all over the room. The smell of rotten flesh was nearly unbearable, and Andrew could feel his body trying to reject everything about it. Maggots crawled along the floor and flies buzzed around the room. The room was a horrific site, but their, in the middle of the room, on the blood soaked master bed, laid a young, naked woman. She was untouched, breathing, and strapped to bed.

“Emmy!” Stuart exclaimed unable to keep to a whisper. He rushed to her side in the blood covered room and Andrew followed him in.

“Stuart…” A dazed and confused Emmy asked as her eyes fluttered open. Relief swam through Stuarts body and he quickly kissed her, relieved to have found his partner no matter what the scenario was.

“I’m so glad you’re alright.” Stuart said, “I thought you were gone for good.”

“I’m so glad too see you too.” Emmy said, smiling. Andrew quickly began un-tying her while Stuart talked to her.
“Babe, please tell me you know where Jackson is.” Stuart said, desperation returning to his voice.

“No… no I have no idea. After he brought us out of the basement, he drugged us both. I haven’t seen Jackson since.” Emmy said. “Oh I hope he’s alright.” She exclaimed, tears welling up in her eyes. Andrew finished untying Emmy and she sat up and hugged Stuart, who embraced her.

“It’s okay, it’s okay. We’ll find him.” Stuart said. As he did, Andrew draped an old shirt from one of the dressers over Emmy.

“Who’s your friend?” Emmy asked as she regained composure.

“Andrew Stark.” Andrew said, walking around the bed, smiling, and extending his hand. The introduction was interrupted by Emmy gasping, and Andrew and Stuart turning around to see the Madman standing there, a large revolver in his hand and aiming straight at them. Andrew raised his shotgun quickly, but the Madman had no reaction.

“Stark, hm? That crazy hobo was actually right. I thought he was just rambling.” The Madman stated calmly.

“Where’s the boy.” Andrew demanded, he wasn’t going to play games.

“Hmm? The little one? Oh he was a fine toy, he’s next in line for experimentation too. Hmmm I had a plan for him, but maybe… maybe I can use you too. Yes, include you both in the same project…”

“I’m not gonna be one of your freak monstrosities. No one is.” Andrew said, un-phased.

The Madman laughed, “You honestly see a way out of this, that’s…” He began saying before a “FTWANG” sound tore through the air. An arrow suddenly burst into the Madman’s chest, he collapsed onto one knee and grabbed the arrow with both hands, only for Ivan to burst into the room and use his whole body to knock the Madman into a wall, knocking him out. Ivan stood up off the floor, covered in rotten blood, took a look around the room, and quickly emptied his insides onto the floor.

“I told you to stay in the car.” Andrew said, walking over to Ivan as the stunned Stuart and Emmy collected themselves and walked out of the room.

“What?” Ivan said, wiping his mouth, “No thank you?”

Andrew smiled, “It was coming, eventually.” He then helped Ivan to his feet and they walked out of the room, but not before Andrew reached down and scooped up the Madman’s revolver. He liked the look of it.
Downstairs, Andrew’s radio began going off. “Andrew.” Nick said, “I found the kid, get this, he’s buried up to his neck out in the back yard with a makeshift dog house built around his head. What the f*** is up with this guy?”

“You don’t know the half of it.” Andrew replied. “Dig the kid up and get him to the car. I’ll get some of James’s clothes for him.”

“Got’cha.” Nick said. Andrew turned to Emmy and Stuart.

“How old is he?” Andrew asked.

“He said he was… six?” Stuart answered, sounding unsure of himself.

“You don’t know?”

“We met him during zero hour, took him in as our own. He’s not our son, but we treat him like he is, as best we can.” Emmy said. Andrew nodded an approving nod.

“I think an eight year olds clothes will fit him. Go up to the kids room and get him some.” Andrew said, turning and walking away.

“What are you gonna do?” Ivan asked.

“I have a little plan for the Madman.”
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797331