*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797952-Low-Information-Followers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#797952 added November 16, 2013 at 11:41am
Restrictions: None
Low Information Followers
I can’t for the life of me figure out why the Insurance Companies decided to get in bed with the Government on Health Care.

Clearly they were afraid of a single payer system that would have cut them out of the market. One would have thought they would have thrown their support behind the Republican candidates and fought the efforts of the government to socialize healthcare.

Instead they opted to support the middle of the road, Affordable Healthcare Act. Maybe they saw a socialized healthcare system as inevitable ... that half a pie was better than no pie at all. I can almost imagine the conversation taking place between some high salaried insurance executives on a company owned golf course.

“Hmmm,” someone might say between putts. “The handwritings on the wall. We can either get on the bandwagon and influence our destiny or Uncle Sam will become a “Self Insurer.” That will cut us totally out of the action.”

In the pause between putts another offers. “This self-insuring mechanism that many companies use these days, is really cutting into our profits. They actually choose to self-insure and hire us to manage their programs. This really sucks.”

“Yeah,” another chimes in, “and there is an exemption in the current law that gets self-insured companies off the hook. How many young workers, working for a self-insured company, are going to sign up for Obama-Care?”

Finally, and perhaps the most telling argument surfaces on the next hole. “Hey, I've an idea. Why not let the government become the bad guy and start making all the tough decisions on who is going to live or die?”

“Hell,” another responds, "they’re politicians. They’d never be stupid enough to sign up for that.”

“They’re pretty stupid,” another replies. “As the population ages there’s going to be more and more old people screaming to share in these high cost medical interventions. We already have a bad name, along with the lawyers, so why not let the government run the death panels and take the heat while we rake in the profits?”

“He’s right. If the country goes to a single-payer system, that leaves us out in the cold.”

“Bingo!” another answers, “and the country winds up with another one of those crapola health care systems, like they have in Canada and Europe.”

“Yeah,” comes a sigh, “In the end that’s what the Socialists always foist off on their low information followers.”

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797952-Low-Information-Followers