*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799242
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#799242 added December 3, 2013 at 1:17am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 58: Gavin - All Variables
“Sorry, old friend.” Gavin said, placing Brad’s body on one of the tables in the mess hall “It’s hard to see you go.”

Gavin walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, grabbing an old beer out of it. He walked over to a window in the kitchen, sat on the counter, and sipped his beer as he looked out the window.
“I really wish it happened some other way man. I really wish this never happened.” He said, reflecting as he looked out the window. “Why can’t we go back to the days when everything was so simple. The dead didn’t rise from their graves to kill us, our fellow man didn’t kill us over food and shelter…” Gavin took a swig of his beer, “Our own people didn’t turn out to be psychotic murderers.”

In the other room, Brad’s finger twitched.

Gavin stood up and walked back into the main room, “It really is sad my friend. You had such high hopes for the boy. But what I tell ya? He’s just not leader material.” Gavin walked over to a table and grabbed a tablecloth off of it. “Nick is though. I’ll talk to Monica about it tomorrow when everything settles down.”

A breath struggled it’s way down Brad’s throat. His pale eyes fluttered open.

“I’ll probably off the kid tonight though.” Gavin said, walking up next to Brad’s corpse and preparing to cover it with the table cloth. “No sense keeping a murderer around too long.” Gavin flung the table cloth up in the air and began to lower it down onto Brad. Brad’s eyes shifted towards Gavin.

Prey.

The monster that had once been Brad lunged up at Gavin’s arm, sinking it’s teeth straight into the large mans flesh. Gavin screamed and reeled back, pulling Brad off the table as he did so. “f***ing s***!” Gavin yelled as he reached for his gun, but just as he grabbed it, Brad sunk his teeth into Gavin’s leg. Blood spurt out of it, and the pain of the bite caused him to drop the gun. Brad ripped muscles and tendons out of the leg with his teeth, as tears formed in Gavin’s eyes. Brad stretched his arm to grab the gun, kicking Brad wildly in the side of the chest to no avail. Pinned by Brad to the ground and unable to reach his gun, Gavin spent several agonizing minutes as Brad clambered up his body and sunk his teeth into Gavin’s neck. Gavin screamed a bloodcurdlingly loud scream that echoed through the dining hall. Blood spurted from his neck as he slumped over, passing into shock.

Moments passed, and Gavin’s life drifted from his body. Brad continued to gnaw at his bones for a couple minutes, but then stood up and looked around. Seeing the door, Brad lunged at it and began throwing all his weight on it.

As he did this, Gavin’s finger twitched. A breath made it’s way down his throat and his pale eyes fluttered open.
© Copyright 2013 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799242