*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/800221
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1967120
A story set in the 1960s about a young witch willing to sacrifice for her true love.
#800221 added January 26, 2014 at 11:33pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 4: The Truth Comes Out
I walked down the hall from the dining room where I’ve been trapped during the past five days as calmly as I could manage toward the stairs to my bedroom.  I need to collect some herbs that can help me if Carter was really in danger. 


I went straight to my closet once I got to my room and got my satchel.  Very quickly, I collected the ring and my journal on my desk as well as a variety of herbs from my herb collection and placed them in my satchel. 


Then I changed my outfit and made my way downstairs toward the front door.  “What are you doing?” Tom asked as I was about to turn the knob.


“I need to go out.  I’ve been stuck inside for five days, Tom, I need to get out and get some fresh air.”


He nodded, “as long as you’re not breaking father’s promise to see that human.” He pinched his face.


As soon as I got out the door and around the corner, I sped into a run toward Carter’s house in the neighboring town of Noverton.  My heart beat faster and faster as I ran through the streets, worried that I might be too late. 


Three more blocks, I counted.  Carter’s house was right by the border of New Janestown and Noverton.  Two more blocks.  When I got to the last block, I knew I was too late.  As I approached the corner, I could hear punches being thrown and loud groaning and moaning followed by a loud cracking I’ve never wanted to hear in all my life.


I rounded the corner and I saw a group huddling over one individual, Carter.  “Carter!” I screamed and began to run toward the gang.  When I got close, however, a searing pain suddenly began in my head, like it was going to split open.  I screamed and fell to the ground, clutching my head in pain.  This was the spell’s doing, it’s keeping me away from Carter. 


I raised my head and saw the gang hasn’t paid any attention to me as they continued killing Carter.  It was like they cannot stop until he’s dead.  Mary Jane must have put a hex on them when she made the deal with them. 


No, I cannot let the pain take over.  Moreover, I cannot let them kill Carter.  Clenching my teeth, I stood up and faced the gang.  I closed my eyes, summoning all the power I’ve got behind the splitting searing pain in my head, I stretched my hand shakily out to the gang. 


Giving all my want and desire to Carter, the pain in my head slowly receded as I felt power flowing and circulating my body.  I opened my eyes and grinding my teeth, I approached the gang with power surrounding me. 


I kept repeating the thought of protecting Carter over and over in my mind and the spell gave way to my lips.  As I said it, I could feel a blast of power coming out of me and onto the affected men. 


As they were hit by the power, they moved aside and let me through.  It seem like the pain has intensified as I got closer and closer to Carter, especially now that I’m standing over his brutally beaten body.  I managed to ignored it, right now, Carter is more important, I told myself.


I went straight to Tyrone, who I recognized from my dream.  He was the only one who came in contact with Mary Anne which means he’s the only one that’s hexed and the others are just following his lead.  I forced his eyes to meet mine and I muttered the counter-hex as I thought of it. 


His eyes became blank and slowly, he came back.  Dazedly, he looked at me and asked, “What’s going on? Who are you?”


I didn’t want to be the one to answer any questions, not when Carter is in this state and my head is about to split open. Slowly, I raised my arms and sent out another blast of power sending the gang leaving, away from this area.


I got down on my knees and checked for Carter’s pulse.  It’s weak. Shakily, I got up again.  Then summoning every last drop of power I had left, I levitated his body off the ground and walked into the nearby woods. 


When I got to the point where I exhausted all my power, I set him down on the damp forest floor, built a fire, and got to work on his wounds.  It wasn’t easy working in this condition.  At times, the pains got the point where dark spot appeared or all I see is blurriness.  After what felt like an eternity, the wounds were treated.  I casted a spell to protect both of us and then I settled myself at the foot of a tree some 40 feet away.


*****



I woke with a start as the dim forest sun light hit my eyes.  My spells had worked, we’ve survived the night.  “Hello, is anybody here?” I heard Carter calling from a distance. 


The herbs must have worked, he must be nearly healed.  I made my way down a distance and stopped at the point when my head would start hurting again.  Carter looked up and saw me, “Lil, what’s going on? How did I get here?”


“Carter, do you not remember anything?” I asked.


He shook his head, “Lil, what’s going on? Why are you standing so far away from me?”


He walked toward me and almost immediately, the searing pain began again.  It was somehow different than last night’s, more intense or was it because I’m weaker this morning? I fell to the ground clutching my head, screaming in pain. 


“Please, just don’t stay where you are.” I managed as loud as I could. 


I turned my body around and began crawling the other way.  Finally, the pain receded.  I sat against a tree, closed my eyes and breathed.  “Lil, what’s going on?” He asked again.  “Wait, have you been avoiding me? Why do you suddenly get headaches just looking at me?”


“I think it’s time to tell you the truth.” I took a deep breath.  “The truth is I am a witch.  I’ve been trapped in a room by a spell my father has casted for the past five days.  The only way I got out was to promise father that I would forget about you.  I’m sorry but that was the only way I could come save you.  Unfortunately, I don’t have his trust anymore.  He put a spell on me so that I can’t be near you.  Anyway, I completely understand if you never want to see me again.  I’ll leave.”


I stood up and turned around.  “Hey, look, Lil, don’t leave.  Stay.” He pleaded.  I turned around and saw his face, he was frowning and his forehead was creased with worry. 


“I’m sorry, I have to go.  They would be looking for me soon now that I’ve told you what I am. You better go too.”


“What, why?”


“We are not supposed to reveal ourselves to humans.  If anyone tells a human, the head of the coven will know and will hunt them down and kill them.”


“Stay, if they are coming for you, they are coming for me, too.  We need to stay together.  We need each other.” He started to come close again.


I growled in pain, “Could you please just stay where you are? I can’t protect you when I can’t even get close to you.  Don’t you understand? They broke us up, WE CAN NEVER BE TOGETHER.”


He didn’t listen or argue but continued to come nearer and nearer.  My hands clutched the side of my head while I screamed and sobbed in agony.  He got down on his knees and wrapped his arms around me. The pain was becoming unbearable and I fought to get out of his grasp but it was no use.  I screamed as I heard him, “Shh, we can help each other.  I love you.  Just forget the pain. I’m right here.”


“I can’t make it stop.” I sobbed as I had no choice but bury my head in his chest.


“You can, just believe.” He said calmly.  “You saved me, didn’t you?”


I never thought he be so calm even after I told him what I was.  He didn’t care at all, I don’t think he would’ve loved me any less even if I wasn’t human.  Believe, he said.  I chanted in the midst of the agony in my head. 


He kissed my forehead while I laid there helplessly in his arm.  Suddenly, as if a miracle, the pain dulled but darkness began to engulf me as I quickly lost consciousness. 


© Copyright 2014 Y. Zheng (UN: yzheng at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Y. Zheng has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/800221