*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/801210-Having-the-words-for-a-Come-back
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#801210 added December 28, 2013 at 1:43pm
Restrictions: None
Having the words for a Come-back
I just made a reply to the Tinsel Blog on Patheos regarding some discontent about the new movie, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tinseltalk/2013/12/review-secret-life-of-walter-mit...

This was my comment:

Since you're the one that brought up the hurdles needed to help an audience relate, consider that factor alone as a reason this movie is neither James Thurber's or actor Danny Kaye's Mitty. Quoting The Hollywood Reporter: "Stiller says, What I liked about Steve's script was the idea that Walter wasn't really imagining himself as someone else, he was imagining a better version of himself. It's a very relatable idea."

We are neither a homogenous society trying to all dream the same dream and declare ourselves "inscrutable to the last," as the literary Mitty seems. And we are also not the bored Post-WWII Americans in the midst of McCarthyism seeking escape from over-protective mothers.

And I'm glad this movie is exactly the family movie for me. My husband and I, plus my fourteen year old daughter and twenty year old son really enjoyed it. We all recognize the changes in the world. Now we also see how we must better ourselves to meet reality with a good dose of imagination.

© Copyright 2013 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/801210-Having-the-words-for-a-Come-back