*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/801533
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1969314
My first novel, written for NaNoWriMo, 2013. It's unedited; preserved as it was written.
#801533 added December 31, 2013 at 5:39pm
Restrictions: None
Moving In
         The next few weeks flew by. Sabastian was busy working and training in the mornings, and soon was working Monday through Friday. He still worked with Jenny a couple days a week, but the rest of the week he was on his own. She helped out with scheduling and some of the other tasks since he also had school work and classes to finish.
         They went by fast, too. He had a new outlook on things and life was finally turning around. He had a nice promotion, even though it didn't pay much more. It did pay a little higher, and once he was done with school and doing all the management tasks, Jenny said she give him a little more per hour. She was still going to do the books, and oversee things, but she was looking forward to not working all the time and being semi-retired.
         On his days off, Sabastian spent his time visiting Janie, or she would come visit him. They often spent the entire weekend together, sometimes three or four days. Sabastian was lost in all the changes, and had little time to think about anything other than how good life felt right now.
         School was soon done, and Sabastian didn't sign up for any additional classes. He had a degree now and that was enough. He had earned his Associated in Science for Entertainment Design and Technology. He didn't have a clue where he would ever use it, but he had not thought about that when he started. Back then he had visions of going to Hollywood or Broadway and directing movies and plays.
         Now, looking back, it was kind of funny. He had never acted in his life. In fact, he had always been shy and could barely give a speech for speech class. Oh, well. The course included a little of everything about entertainment design, the science of putting it all together, and had not focused on the acting side of things.
         By midsummer, he was working five days a week, sometimes filling in for other workers and even working a weekend here and there. He didn't mind the extra work, he enjoyed having his time filled. When he wasn't working he found himself lonesome and longing to be with Janie. Of course, many days they did spend together, but many they didn't, and those were the days Sabastian liked to keep busy.
         He was managing the store now, full time. He often worked over forty hours, but since his promotion, he didn't work on the clock and he was a salary employee getting the same size check if he worked thirty hours or fifty. Most of the time it was closer to fifty, but there were a few times he had everything done ahead of time and took an extra day or two off to stay over with Janie.
         It was during one of these extended stays that Janie told him she wanted more. They had spent a great weekend together, and Sabastian had arranged for another two days off. He planned on staying over one more night, then driving over to visit his mom and dad. He called them quite often, but he had not seen them in quite some time. He wanted to share his promotion and his love with them in person, not over the phone. He had asked Janie to come with, to meet them.
         "I'd love to, but will they even like me? I mean, I don't care and I know you don't, but I am quite a bit older than you and they may not like that."
         "They won't care, as long as I'm happy and have a good woman in my life. Besides, what difference does it make even if they don't like it? It's my choice to make, and they respect my decisions, even if they don't always agree with them."
         "I will but only if I can be honest with them, and with you."
         "Of course you can. I want you to honest about everything, just like I am honest with you. I wouldn't say something that wasn't true and expect you to lie and make excuses to them. What would I tell them that wasn't true, Janie?"
         "I know, Sabastian. It's just that they are going to want to know what we, or I intend for us. What do I tell them if they ask about our future? I want to be able to tell them we have a future planned. I want them to know I'm not just enjoying their son and planning on dropping him when another good looking guy comes along. Sabastian, I'm still married, even if I am separated and have started the divorce papers. They will see me as someone who cheated on her husband, and think I'm using you."
         Sabastian kissed her, pulled her close under the heavy quilt until he could feel her tight up against him. "I know better. We talked about all this, and that's why we are here right now. It takes time for the legal part to go through, but it doesn't mean anything other than it takes time. I know you won't do the same again, it's different now, right?"
         He hadn't actually meant that as a question, but it came out that way, and Janie answered him directly. "No, it's not like that at all, I mean, yes it's different. Oh, I don't know how to say it, Sabastian. It's not anything like the past, I am separated and filing for a divorce. I want to be with you, and that's what I don't know how to explain."
         "Well, Janie, just say what your think, it's the best way."
         "Ok, but I just don't want to say or do anything to lose you, but I want something more for us. Sabastian, I want to spend more time together, I want to live together. I get so lonesome when we are apart, and I practically hold my breath until we are together again."
         "I know, Janie, it's the same for me. I love being together, and it passes by so fast. I get lonesome and miss you so much while we are apart, but soon enough we are together and life is wonderful again. I know it's just for now, things will work out better for us soon enough."
         "Will they, Sabastian? I mean, if we don't make things work right, will they? I don't think so. I have thought about it so much, and I think we have to make things happen or they don't. That's why I moved in here, so we could be together, that's why I'm filing for divorce, because I want to be together, and now, well, I want you to move in here with me."
         Sabastian didn't know what to say. "Um, move in? I thought we.... I mean, I have work and you have a new job, how can we?"
         "I know, I wondered the same. But look, I have a nice size place here, I have a lease coming up to sign and then it will be locked in for the next two years. It's all set, and I have the money set aside from savings, I'm just waiting for the papers to get drawn up. I also have the job working at the school as an assistant librarian. It's only four hours a day, three days a week once I get done with training and stuff, but it pays really well. It would be silly for me to move in with you, your place is so small, and I would have to start all over looking for work and stuff, then to meet the lawyer and stuff."
         "I know you just got going as a manager, and I'm happy for you, but they don't pay you anywhere what they should for what you do. And, you're a great worker, I know you can find another job here real fast. Not that you have to find work before you can move or anything; move in then you can look for work. And, Sabastian, there's no hurry, take your time and find the right job that will reward you and challenge you."
         I suppose I could, I mean, I would have to give Jenny notice and time to find someone. Oh, she's going to be upset she just got set to work so little and enjoy an early retirement, or semi-retirement, anyway."
         "That's just it, she is taking advantage of you so she can. She should be paying you at least twice as much, plus benefits, too. Oh Sabastian, she can find someone to take over, and I know you have to give notice. I wouldn't want anything else, but to just know we are going to be living together soon would make it all so much easier. Don't answer, not now. Just think about it, and when you're ready then we will decide, for now, let's just enjoy another night together; I love you so much."
         They agreed and snuggled closer under the quilt and made love before falling asleep. In the morning Sabastian got up and showered, then cooked up a couple of eggs and toast for both of them. "Rise and shine, Janie."
         "Oh Sabastian, you're so sweet." Janie sat up and enjoyed breakfast in bed with him. While they ate she informed him, "I thought about what you said last night, and yes, I want to meet your mom and dad; if you still want me to come with."
         "Yes, of course I want you to come with."
         In the end, Sabastian rode with Janie, showing her around the little town he had grown up in, then directing her to his parents. The visit was short, but pleasant. "Sabastian, you should have called we could have changed plans and had the whole day to visit with you and your lady friend. But, we have plans to go with some friends for the day, and it wouldn't be fair to cancel out on them on such short notice."
         "That's alright. We should get going soon, too. It's a long drive back to Janie's, and then I have to go back to my place from there."
         They talked and enjoyed a light lunch, and just as they were finishing the question came. "So, how serious is this, Sabastian? I don't mean to pry, but it sounds like your spending a lot of time together, and I'm kind of curious, as a mother should be."
         Janie blushed a bit, and was genuinely surprised when Sabastian provided the answer without hesitation. "Mom, I'm just finishing my last two weeks, then I will be moving in with Janie and looking for a new job over there. We want to be together, and this is just the next logical step. I don't expect you to understand or agree with our choice. But, we want to live together for a while, and then in time, well in time I want," Sabastian turned to Janie and directed the rest to her, "I want Janie to be my wife. Will you marry me, Janie?"
         "Yes, you know I will. Oh Sabastian, I love you so much."
         "Congratulations, son." Both his parents spoke at the same time. "But, don't rush. I know you expect us to say just the opposite, but times are different, and it's important to take your time. So, when you work out the details, and have a date set, well, it looks like we'll have us a wonderful daughter as well as a son."
         Janie smiled, "Thank you both so much. Yes, we will take some time and make sure everything is right. But, I'm sure it will only prove further how right everything is and soon enough we can tell you when we will be taking that next step."
         They enjoyed the early afternoon, but then around two it was time to leave. They exchanged goodbyes and then then Sabastian drove Janie back home. She insisted he drive, "It will look better for your mom and dad to see you drive and me riding beside you. I don't think they were very excited over your proposal, Sabastian."
         "No, they did take it better than I thought they would, though. It doesn't matter, they will understand in time and we have some time to show them just how much in love we are, right?"
         "Yes we do, and even though we do have to wait, I'm so excited. I'm excited to have you all to myself every night and soon enough, we will get married. Oh thank you, Sabastian, I love you so much. I just wish we could spend the rest of our lives, every minute of every day together."
         They spent another loving night together, then the next morning Sabastian went home, and prepared for his big move. Jenny wasn't very excited, but took the news pretty well when he explained it to her.
         "I knew I should have fired you for missing work, you bum. No, I'm kidding, Sabastian, I'm really happy for you. I kind of figured something like this was on the horizon when you missed work that day. I can't say I think it's the right thing to do, but then, it's not my call. You have to do what you believe is right. I'll get by, and I am thankful you are staying on until I can get someone else hired."
         "It just seems to be the right thing to do, Jenny."
         "Well, since you are the manager, I suppose it shows responsibility and thoughtfulness. I'll post some ads and try and get someone in to interview, then we'll get some training in and you'll be set to go your own way. But do me a favor, please?"
         "What's that, Jenny?"
         "Take this time and really think about this. Not you and Janie, just you. Think it out good and then if you do change your mind, we will work something out, if not, no harm done, right?"
         "That sounds fair, it's a deal. And Jenny, thank you again for everything. You are a great boss, but even more, I think you're a wonderful friend."
         It was only a few days and the ad was answered. A young guy in school needing a part-time job applied and Jenny was quick to interview him. Soon, Sabastian was training in a replacement for his old job, and when he worked his last day, Jenny took back the morning shift and the rest of Sabastian's duties again.
         Sabastian packed what he could fit in his Jeepster, Janie filled her back seat and trunk, and Jenny put the rest in her pick-up. "Thanks for helping out with the move, Jenny."
         "It's no problem, Sabastian. I just hope you're sure this is what's best and you're happy. Besides, I have a new tenant moving in and need to get your junk out of his way."
         That night, Janie and Sabastian drank wine and enjoyed their first meal together as an official couple. With his glass in his hand, Sabastian toasted Janie, "To a lifetime of togetherness."
         "A lifetime of togetherness and love." Janie bumped his glass and they drank to their new beginning.
***
© Copyright 2013 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/801533