*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/801534
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1969314
My first novel, written for NaNoWriMo, 2013. It's unedited; preserved as it was written.
#801534 added December 31, 2013 at 5:40pm
Restrictions: None
Fight Night
Heather and Lanae returned the camping equipment, split the deposit up and went out to eat at a fast food place. They had a long discussion on the way home, and Lanae was feeling better. Depending on what they found out about the caf they may be making a little road trip. In trying to cheer Lanae up, their conversation had turned to Steve and Sally. Heather had offered, then insisted on giving Lanae a ride over for a visit.
Lanae found out that Heather and Mike had plans to not just see each other over the summer, but they would be going to the same college in the fall. Heather was thinking, if it all went well over the summer, they may even share a place, to keep cost down, and just because it would be the right thing for them to do. If it went well.'
"I'm sure it will go well, Heather. You guys look so natural together, and you hit it off so well. Mike's a great guy, it will work out."
"I think so, too. I just wish things had worked as well for you."
"They did, it just doesn't seem like it right now. I am not ready for a relationship, and just that would have doomed us from the start. I'm glad we had our fling, and I'm sorry Sabastian was hurting, but he was also seeing another person. I don't know if I told you that," Lanae paused, and when Heather didn't answer went on, "yeah, he had been seeing a woman who is married and came camping to try and think things through. He told me if she had not been married, he would not have even been there."
Lanae looked at Heather. "See, it was all kind of set to destruct right from the start. We, Sabastian and I, talked about that last night. We both agreed that the timing was all wrong for a serious relationship. We were meant to meet, to have our romantic weekend, and then discover how our paths would go from there. He helped me to understand what I want and what I have to do. He told me the same thing, he knew what he had to do. He knew he had to move on with his life, too."
"You can tell me that all you want, and I'm sure you believe it, maybe he does, too. But me, I'm not buying it. You guys had some kind of magic going, and it didn't just end. You may have both buried it, but it's still burning and it will flare again, I just know it."
After eating, Heather drove Lanae home. Once there, Lanae got out, took her suitcase from the backseat and closed the door. Heather rolled the window down, "By Lanae, thanks again. I'll call you tomorrow, Ok?"
Heather backed out of the driveway as Lanae went in the house. The lights were off in the kitchen, but the living room was lit up enough for her to find her way in. She set the suitcase down by the hallway. "I'm in here, Lanae."
Lanae walked into the living room to find her mom snuggled up to someone. "This is Frank, I think you remember him."
"Hi Lanae."
That was all he said. Lanae felt a twitch in her shoulder as she forced a smile, "Hi, yes I remember." She remembered all the times her mom wanted to spend time with Frank instead of with her husband and daughter. She remembered, also, the heated discussions when she was little and her mom and dad thought she was sleeping sound in her room. She had forgotten until now. That was Frank, too. She remembered hearing her dad plead for her to end her relationship with Frank, and she remembered now her mom's answer, "If you don't like it, leave. Pack up and leave; but you don't just leave me, you leave Lanae, too. You knew when we married I was still seeing my friend, and you were willing then, don't try and change everything now."
"But Phyllis, I always thought once we were together and married you would end this, you know it's not right. But no, you wouldn't, my love was never enough. Then, when Lanae came into our lives I thought maybe you would break it off with Frank and devote yourself to your husband and daughter. Why can't you just be happy with us?"
"You thought you could change things? That's a laugh, you who would rather spend you nights working then with me. You, the person who would pick to go off on some work adventure instead of on vacation with me. Why would you think you could change anything?"
"I made those choices because you insisted on holding on to your relationship with Frank! What else did I have? Sure, we could take a nice vacation, but would you have gone if Frank didn't come with? Hell no! No, Phyllis, this is not anyone's fault except your own choosing, and even now, you pick Frank over your own daughter.  I just don't understand why you don't just pack up and leave us, go move in with Frank."
"Do you want to know why, because he can't father children, that's why I married you, that and he can't get a decent job to support a family. It's not fair, just because he's got a little blemish on his record no one wants to hire him."
"A little blemish, he served time for drugs, robbery, and assault. He robbed a store, and when the poor kid working couldn't open the safe, a high school girl at that, he beat her almost to death. And how does he get caught, by hanging out at the same school the girl attended, and getting busted for dealing drugs to kids. I'm glad he got caught, my only regret is he didn't serve the time he should have. And, that's why you won't leave, because you know you don't stand a chance in hell to ever get keep your daughter if you do. Maybe your right, maybe I should just pack up and leave, and take Lanae with me."
"Go ahead, I dare ya. And as soon as you walk out that door I'll make a call and give out your little secret. You talk about Frank, but what about what you did? You think you're so high and mighty, but remember, you could go to jail yourself and what judge would ever give you custody of a young girl after what you did?"
"You know I didn't do anything. I was young, in college and at the wrong place. I went out to a party, I got drunk and I passed out. My roommate and his buddies put me in the car and were taking me home when they did that. I never even woke up, just because someone seen me and identified me doesn't make me guilty."
"Yeah, that's true enough, but that's not how it went over, is it. They grabbed that little girl, how old - 14, and pulled her into the car and took turns with her. Then, after they finally decided to let her go, they beat the living hell out of that girl so she wouldn't ever tell anyone. But she did tell. It just so happened that a police cruiser drove by shortly after they left and found her, and she told him everything. Not only did she tell, but she pointed to the still visible taillights down the road. And, he went into pursuit and your buddies ran. They ran and stashed the car, and got away. But not for long, the cop identified the car, the owner and soon enough everyone who was in that car. It's too bad the little girl was so terrified and didn't remember that one boy was passed out and didn't hurt her. It's too bad he had to have an alibi and I supplied one. Yeah, I lied for you and said you were with me that night. And for that, my dad wouldn't speak to me, my mother insisted I get married and my whole life changed. I was pregnant and by lying for you, everyone thought it was your kid."
"That was a long time ago, and anyone of the guys responsible could have and would have cleared me. I was guilty only be being with, and that wasn't even by my choosing, I was drunk and passed out in the car, after they loaded me in. I wanted to leave with you, remember?"
"Yeah, I remember, you wanted to leave with me, but I didn't want to leave, I was enjoying myself. You kept drinking and drinking and got so drunk you couldn't even stand up, so your buddies took care of you."
"It was the first time I had drank hard liquor, hell it was my first party. You invited me and I went, and you insisted I drink. In fact, I just wanted to drink a glass or two of beer, but you insisted on getting me drunk, you thought it was funny. Then, after you got me drunk, you just pushed me aside and hit on every other guy there."
"What difference does any of it make now. Your buddies raped and beat a teenage girl half to death. They thought she wouldn't tell, she'd be too scared, but she did tell. She described everyone in the car, even the passed out bum they had in the back seat. In fact, didn't they put her right on top of you and that's how you got all scratched up from her pawing and trying to get away?"
Lanae listened as this fight took place all over again. She heard again her mom yelling, "You know, your two buddies that raped that girl can't testify for you, their dead. I guess they couldn't live with the guilt of what they did, one slit his wrists before even going to trail, the other hung himself with his belt in his cell the second day of the trail. So, who's going to save you if I don't? Oh, the third person who was unidentified? Was there a third, nobody ever found out for sure? The third person she described looked an awful lot like you. I know, she identified you not him. He was the one they said beat her so badly, he was the one who got them all into it. He was such a mean person, and they were all scared of him, so nobody would testify anything, not even your buddies. They would have let you hang in his place; good buddies they were."
She heard a door slam, a car start and seen the lights as her dad drove off into the night. She wanted to go to him, to tell him it was alright. She didn't believe any of it, it was all lies. As she got older, the fights stopped, and she had forgotten, but now she remembered, and she hated her mom and Frank. Her mom had given her a sad story of how her dad had pushed her away, all lies. She had come back wanting to be friends with her mom that she had become blind to the things she knew were true, and had let herself be fooled into blaming her dad.
She wanted to scream at her mom, but she knew it wouldn't do any good. She knew because it never had. "I'm tired, I think I'll just go to bed. Goodnight." She got the words out, and turned and walked to her room, grabbing her stuff as she went in.
Her mom followed her, "Lanae, I need to talk to you. I know you don't especially care for my friend, and that's fine. But, he's my friend and he's going to be staying here for a while, so you're going to have to get over it. Also, your boss called, the fire had caused some structural damage to the wall, and it's going to take a lot of work to repair it. He said the owner of the building doesn't want to put any money into such an old building, so the cafwon't be reopening. In other words, you don't have a job. I hope you understand, I can't afford to pay your way, you need to find another job and help out. I don't know how much you blew out camping, but I have bills due and you agreed to help with them."
"I know, Mom. I will help, I didn't spend much at all. That's why I went camping it was cheaper than staying at a motel. Besides, wasn't your desire to have me out of the house while Frank came visiting?"
"I don't think I like that tone, young lady! I said I wanted some privacy, yes, and it's my house after all. I'm doing a lot to help you out, don't you forget it."
Lanae wanted to scream out but restrained herself. "I know, I'm sorry, I'm just tired. Can't we talk in the morning?"
"I have to work, there's bills to pay, remember? I need you to understand I have to have some help around here, and you may have some money saved up, but it's not going to last long. Living is expensive, Lanae, and everyone needs to pull their weight around here."
"Yeah, I know. So, is Frank pulling his? Or, is he just hanging around and that's why you're so intent on me paying now?"
"It's none of your business what Frank's doing. He's my guest in my house and don't you forget that."
"Your house? My Daddy bought this house, and you cheated him in every way. I remember all of it, Mom. I remember all those nights you and Daddy would argue, and how you picked Frank and how you threatened to send him to jail for something he didn't do. Oh, I know, mom."
"You little bitch! You remember what you want. Your dad owed me, and he paid by taking care of me, that was the deal. He may have wanted out, but he didn't have the guts to do it. He needed me to lie for him and I did, so don't you take his side. If you want to know the truth, I'll find the old papers and you can read it for yourself."
Phyllis stormed out and slammed the door. On the other side she heard Frank ask, "Is everything alright, Sugar?"
"Yeah, she's just like her dad, ungrateful. She'll either shape up or she'll find herself on the other side of the front door. She knows I'll throw her out and she don't have any place else to go, so she'll shape up."
"I suppose so. I heard her talking about that night, does she now?"
"She overheard a little of me and Wayne fighting years ago, but she don't know much. I told her I would find the old papers and she could read it for herself."
"Yeah, well she's a little bitch, and she needs to grow up."
Lanae put the pillow over her head and tossed and turned most of the night. The next day she got up after her mom left. She studied for a while, wanting to take her GED while she could afford it. Frank got up and she felt it was time to go.
"Where ya running off to? Stick around and visit with uncle Franky. I may even take a special likin to ya. Kind of skinny, but I'll show ya a good time. Might even learn a little while we romp, eh?"
"You're gross."
"Yeah, I'll show you gross when I unload in your scrawny ass and then make you suck it clean. Hey, come over here and have a taste, maybe it was in your ma's ass this morning." Frank went into the bathroom, laughing at his own crudeness.
Lanae hurried and got her things together for the day and walked down to catch the bus. She spent half the morning studying, then took her test. She passed! She called Sally and left a message, then called Heather.
"Way to go, Lanae. We should celebrate, what would you like to do?"
"Move out of my mom's as soon as I can, that's what."
"Lanae, what's wrong? Where are you now?"
Lanae told her she was uptown at the little park. "I'll come over and we can talk."
Heather showed up in a few minutes and they talked about everything that Lanae had remembered and what took place the night before. She hesitated, then related the conversation, if it could be called that, she had with Frank this morning.
"I don't trust him, I don't. I feel like he's just waiting for a chance to do something mean. I don't know, he's just - I don't know, he makes the hair on my neck stand up."
"It doesn't matter, if you feel like that, it's probably with good cause. What are you going to do, though?"
"I don't know, I just don't know." Lanae started crying, feeling helpless and alone again.
"It's alright, we will think of something. If you want, come stay with me for a few nights, until we come up with some ideas, anyway."
"If you're sure it's alright, Heather, yes. I will, I mean, I don't have any place else and need time to think what I have to do next."
Heather drove her over to the courthouse and Lanae informed her mom she would be staying with a friend for a couple of days. "I don't know for sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I do."
Heather bit her lip and didn't say anything when Phyllis replied, "Sure, run out on me now. Your' just a little bitch like Frank said. I helped you out and now you go over to your dike friend instead of helping me out. Your worthless, just like your dad!"
Lanae didn't stick around to hear the rest. Once they were in the car and going to get the rest of Lanae's stuff Heather finally spoke. "I'm sorry, Lanae. I mean, your mom should never talk to you like that. Yes, you need to get out of there. We'll work something out, I promise."
When they got to the house, Lanae and heather packed up everything as quick as they could. Frank didn't say anything at all, just watched and made them feel uneasy. As they were carrying the last items out the door, Frank stopped Lanae and Heather at the door. "Are you sure you don't want a little something to remember me by? I got enough for you and your little friend."
Heather slapped him on the face, "I don't think so creep!"
Lanae and rushed out the door before Frank had time to react, but before they could back out of the drive he was there, at Lanae's window. He had a big smile, an evil smile. "I'd have done you good, just like you need, you whore. And don't think I'd hesitate, you just ask that girl that got hers, the night your daddy got blamed for what ole Franky did."
He was still laughing as they backed up and drove away. "What was that all about?" Heather implied.
"I don't know, for sure, but some girl got raped years ago, and two of the guys took the whole rap, while he got away with it. I think my dad was passed out in the car and would have ended up being involved, but my mom lied for him, and then blackmailed him until he died."
"Oh my! Lanae, that's horrible. No wonder he gives you the creeps."
"I don't know, I just suspect, but I would like to find out some day and set the records straight. Only, how could I, when Frank and my mom would lie and make it look like it was my dad?"
"I don't know, Lanae, but you're right in getting out of there. I felt scared the whole time we were there. He's an awful person, and I don't ever want to be in the same room as him again."
"I know, I just want to get on with my life. If my mom wants to be with someone like that, karma will strike them both. I believe that, too. They may have gotten by with this for a while, but it will catch up to them in the end."
Over the next few days, Heather and Lanae talked, planned, and soon there was a new path available. While camping, Lanae had asked Heather about college. Now, she had a GED and Heather insisted they look into college as a choice for Lanae. It didn't take long and Lanae knew she wanted to do this.
It didn't take very long for everything to come into place, within a couple of weeks, Lanae had been accepted into a small college and qualified for financial assistance. Heather was a great help, and even drove her over to visit the campus. It wasn't anything fancy, just a community college, but it was a start. Even better, while visiting and talking with a counselor, Lanae found a part time job waitressing at a small cafjust off campus.
They needed someone to start right away, and Lanae's counselor managed to get her started in her college orientation class, as well as some prerequisite subjects Lanae needed to get caught up on. By fall she would be able to start taking college classes.
Everything was falling into place and soon she would be moved into the dorms, working part-time and going to school. She didn't know for what just yet, but with some guidance, she had set up some standard classes to get her going, that would work towards most degree's, and it gave her time to decide what direction she wanted to go.
***
© Copyright 2013 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/801534