*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/801540
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1969314
My first novel, written for NaNoWriMo, 2013. It's unedited; preserved as it was written.
#801540 added December 31, 2013 at 5:46pm
Restrictions: None
Getting Away
         The next few weeks flew past. Lanae's days were filled with GED classes, the afternoons with work. In the evening she would study and go to bed early. She did have some time to visit with her mom, but as the days past, her mom seemed to talk less and often just wanted to watch T.V. or read. Lanae didn't mind, she was not use to working, and even though the afternoons were the slowest time of the day, she still was on her feet most of the time she was at work.
         She saved as much as she could from her tips, but did help with groceries, and even took her mom out for dinner a couple of times. After two weeks, she got her first check. She was very excited and couldn't wait to cash it. She asked her mom if they could stop at the bank on the way home.
         "I think that would be a great idea. You can open an account and get some money put away. I don't mind helping, but you can't stay with me forever, you're going to save up to get a place of your own."
         "I know, mom, and I want to do just that." Lanae did not tell her that this was the first paycheck she had ever earned, and she wanted to take some of it and do something fun, or buy herself something. She knew better than to say anything. Even when she took her mom out for the fish fry using her tip money to pay for dinner her mom had pointed out she needed to save. "I'm thankful you want to take me out for dinner, but you really can't afford this."
         "I can, Mom. I do pretty good with tips, and I have enough. Besides, I get paid at the end of the week."
         "That's not what I mean, Lanae, and you know it. You should not be spending a dime more than you have to. You need to save every red cent you get so you can get take your test and get your GED and make decent wages someplace. You also need to save up to get a place to live. You don't have any furniture, dishes, or anything. Just cloths, you have enough cloths, and fancy ones, too. I can see why Gary was upset with you, spending that much for cloths."
         They had discussed Gary, the separation, and everything that had taken place. "Mom, I didn't have nice cloths, I was still wearing the cloths I had when I moved out. I did not have any money to spend except for the little bit Gary gave me to buy everything we needed. He bought nice cloths, he ate well, he blew money on booze and women." Lanae stopped and took a breath. "Sally gave me those cloths, she was going to put them on a yard sale, but gave them to me instead. I, in exchange, cleaned their house, washed dishes, cloths, and anything else I could do to try and earn my keep."
         "Well, I still don't understand why you have to spend money like it's burning a hole in your pocket." He mom looked up then back down. "Let's just enjoy this meal, you're getting all worked up over nothing, I was just saying."
         Things had slowly been going that direction from the first. It took a few days for Lanae to see it, but it was there. At the end of the first week, she was beat. She had been taking the classes, walking to work and since she was training, had the opportunity to work later and help with the dinner time rush. She had talked to her mom and instead of getting a ride home, had borrowed enough money for a bus pass for the month.
         She had paid her back at the end of the week, since she had made close to a hundred dollars in tips through the week, the largest being from dinner guests. She was tired and sore. No not just tired, she was exhausted. She had been studying hard, her feet hurt from being on them so much, and from not having decent shoes, and her back, arms, and neck ached from carrying platters of food, cleaning tables, and washing dishes.
         She had walked to the corner after work, caught the bus and came home. Once there, she said hi to her mom, went to her room and took off her sweaty cloths, put on a robe and went straight to the bathroom, run a tub full of hot water, and then went back to her room and counted out the money she owed her mom.
         She stopped at the bathroom and turned off the water, then put the money on the table. "Mom, here's the money I borrowed for the bus. Thanks for helping me out if I hadn't worked late all week, I wouldn't have this much tip money. I'm going to take a bath, I'm greasy and dirty from work, do you think after I get out, or maybe tomorrow, since it's Saturday and we both have the day off, we can go shopping?"
         "I have to do a little shopping, so yeah you can come with. What do you need to shop for?"
         "Not much, I want to get some perfume, nothing expensive, just something to wear at work, I notice I get to smelling pretty sweaty by the time I get done. I also wanted to get a note book and a three ring binder for my class work, and a backpack to carry everything in. Most of all, I need to get some better shoes, my feet are going to fall off if I keep wearing these."
         "Oh. You do need good shoes for waitressing. Let me look, I think there may be some notebooks around here someplace. You better get in the bath before your water gets cold, it costs money to heat water, you know."
         "Ok, thanks Mom." Lanae went into the bathroom and left the door open just a bit so fresh air could come in. It was steamy and warm in the room, and as she slipped into the water, the heat engulfed her tired muscles. She was soon very relaxed, and half dozing as she soaked.
         "My goodness, Lanae, did you want to take a bath or a sauna? How hot did you run that water? My electric bill is going to be right through the ceiling with you here."
         "Mom, it's not that hot. Besides, I told you as soon as I had a job I would help pay for everything. I don't expect you to pay my way, and however much your bill is up, I'll pay for. I want to help with the groceries tomorrow, too."
         Her mom had pushed the door open and was now standing in the doorway. Cool air was flooding into the hot, humid room and Lanae felt a chill on her damp skin. "You haven't even got paid yet, and you think you can pay my bills for me, buy me groceries, and afford make-up and new shoes? You don't understand anything about money yet, do you? You spend your money before you even get it; did you spend like this with Gary?"
         Lanae tried to explain, but her mom had stopped listening, and after a few minutes of listening to Lanae explain, she turned and walked away, leaving the door open. Lanae got out of the tub, dried off and cleaned up the bathroom, put the wet towels over the side of the tub and went to her room and put on a night-shirt.
         When she came out the money was gone from the table and an old yellow legal pad was now there, along with a couple of well used folders. Lanae looked at them, then took them to her room. They would not do at all, but she wouldn't tell her mom that. No, they were already almost fighting again, she would tuck them away and pacify her.
         She came back out, "I'm sorry, mom. I know your right, I need to hang on to my money and make do with what I have. I do need to get some better shoes, though. These are not only wore out, they are just not good shoes to wear for work, they are slippery and they don't look very nice."
         "You have to have good shoes to waitress. Yes, I'll take you shopping for shoes, but you will have to pay me back as soon as you can."
         "Yes, I will mom. I'm pretty tired, I think I'll go to bed and read. Goodnight."
         "I can see why you're so tired, you don't eat dinner half the time, and then you sit in that hot tub and cook yourself. I'm surprised you don't pass out form heatstroke. Goodnight."
         The next morning Lanae was up at the same time she had been getting up. Her mom was still sleeping, so she made some coffee and spent some time studying. Soon enough her mom came out and sat down. "Can I get you some coffee, Mom?"
         "Sure, and just a little creamer and sugar in it."
         Lanae got the coffee and brought it over and set it down, "Here you go." She filled her cup and sat back down, closing her book and wondering if her mom would start in on her again from last night.
         "You need some good shoes, so I thought we would go to that shoe store in the mall. There isn't any reason to get some cheap shoes that won't last, and if you're going to keep waitressing you will need them. We will get them first, then I think you should wear them while we shop for groceries, to make sure they won't blister your feet." Her mom looked over at her and took another sip of coffee. "Of course, they're your feet so you can get whatever you want, and if you don't think you need to try them out first, it's no skin off my - feet."
         Lanae seen a hint of a smile on the corner of her mom's mouth with the comment. "I think that's a great idea, Mom. We can get the shoes first and then I'll wear them for a while. If you would, could you help me pick out some good ones?" Lanae took a sip of her coffee, then added, "I really don't know what kind to get and I prefer to keep the skin on my feet."
         She couldn't hold it in and chuckled. Her mom also started laughing and the tension was gone. Lanae helped with breakfast, the cleaned up the kitchen while her mom got ready. Soon, they were shopping for shoes, and all Lanae insisted on was the color, she had to have white or mostly white shoes for work.
         "These are kind of expensive, but they look like they will stand up." Phyllis handed a shoe to Lanae?"
         He looked at the bottom, "I think I do, I'll be right back."
         They had tried quite a few different shoes on but couldn't agree on any of them. He was soon back with another box. He knelt and she sat. He opened the box and slipped a shoe over her foot. "How does that feel?"
         "Oh, that feels good." Lanae waited until she had both shoes on, then got up and walked a little. "These are so comfortable, Mom."
         "Walk in the hall, off the carpet and make sure."
         Lanae walked out of the store, into the mall and up and down the tiled floor. Shortly, she came back in and said, "Yes, these are nice; I like them. What do you think, Mom?"
         Her mom had to feel her toes, check the fit around her ankles, and then ask, "What are these ones made of?"
         The salesman explained they were leather uppers, with man-made bottoms.
"I think they would be good, Lanae. Why don't you get them and just wear them for a while, like we talked about."
         Lanae looked down at them, "Yeah, these will do, and I'll just keep them on, if that's alright. How much are these?"
         The salesman looked at the tag on the shelf by the display shoe. "These run a little higher than the other brand we were looking at, $98.99 but they are on sale this week. He smiled at Lanae, if you get them today, I can let you have them for the sale price and an additional 5% off; $67.54, oh let's just say $65.00 even."
         Lanae hadn't wanted to spend that much, but before she could say anything, her mom had a credit card out. "We'll take them, and some of that cleaner you showed us for the other ones."
         "I can pay for them, Mom."
         "You hang on to your money, and I'll get them, but I do expect to get paid back after you get your check."
         They continued with their shopping, but when Lanae looked at perfume, her mom informed her she had plenty, I'll give you some. Lanae didn't care for her mom's perfume but didn't want to argue.
         By the time they got home, Lanae was feeling much like she used to, controlled and unable to do anything except what mother wanted. She pushed the old feelings away and told herself, "It's just for a little while. You're getting along with her better than before, and you will have your own place soon enough."
         But, it just got worse with each passing day. Lanae couldn't do anything without her mom interfering and telling her how to live. Even worse, every time Lanae said or did something her mom didn't approve of, she would say something on the order of, "I can see why Gary left you. " Or, "It's no wonder Gary had to find another woman."
         Lanae had quite explaining any of it, it didn't do any good. She was beginning to feel like she had to find some escape, just like before. She tried to fight it, she did a great job of not breaking the peace with her mom, but if she didn't get away soon, she knew she would explode.
         She made another two weeks, and got another paycheck. She put most of it into her bank account and asked her mom, "How much do you need to help out with bills?"
         Her mom watched the road ahead of the car as they drove from the bank home. "I don't know, I'll have to go through them and see how much you're costing me. I suppose a hundred bucks would cover everything, and that's food, too. I don't know how you can put in a full day without eating anything."
         "I eat, Mom. I get free meals at work, so I thought it was smarter to grab a salad or something for lunch and then a nice dinner or something after work before I come home."
         "You do know I enjoy having someone to eat dinner with?"
         "I know, it's just that I've been working so late with training and helping out, and it's late by the time I get home. I only have to work late for one more week, then the other waitress will be back and I will just work the afternoons and can ride home with you again. We can have dinner together every night then."
         Her mom turned and smiled, then looked back at the road and the traffic forming up a head. "I'm glad we get done soon enough to miss the dinnertime traffic. So many people are on the roads then and it's just a mess. This little town needs to update the streets for all the traffic that's on them now. Oh, before I forget, you said you work late for another week and then will get done at 3:30, right?"
         "Yep, starting next Monday, I only work till 3:30. It will be a cut in my checks, and I'm sure in my tips, but I'm kind of looking forward to getting done earlier, so I can put more time into getting my GED. Then, maybe I can find something with full-time hours."
         "I have a friend coming over next week I haven't seen in a long time. He stays over and I usually let him use your room. Only now you're using it and I'm not sure what to do. Also, I was thinking of taking a couple of days off while he's here. I was hoping you could stay someplace for a couple days. I know you can't afford much, but there's a cheap motel on the strip, and I would help pay for it since it's for me."
         Lanae was a bit confused and surprised. After all, this was the woman who had been nagging her for spending fifty cents on gum. Now, she had a friend coming over and wanted to get her out of the house. "I don't know, Mom. I mean I'm always happy to do stuff for you, but a motel? I could sleep on the couch or something."
         Phyllis flushed a bit, and when she spoke, Lanae knew she was holding back from yelling at her. "I think it would be good for us to spend a few days apart, and I don't need you nosing around while Frank is here. What we do is nobody's business but ours. I'll pay for your damn motel if it will get you out of my house for the weekend."
         "Ok, fine. I'll get a room in some two-bit dive or sleep in the alley. You don't have to get so mad, I was just trying to take your advice and save us both some money. I don't care what you and your friend do." She did care though. Frank had been her mom's friend from college, and they had stayed in touch over the years. Lanae never knew for sure, but she suspected her mom and Frank were lovers. It seemed like whenever her dad was gone for a few days, Frank was in town and mom was not around.
         She didn't say anything more, and she was thankful her mom didn't either. The next day at work she asked Heather if there was a decent motel around that didn't cost a lot. "My mom and her friend want some privacy, so I have to stay someplace for the weekend."
         "There's a couple of places that aren't too bad for the price. It's too bad you don't drive, or you could rent a cabin out at the park. It's kind of a long drive into town, but since you don't work until afternoon and get done pretty early, it wouldn't be a problem. I think the cabins only go for ten bucks on weekdays, and fifteen on weekends. Heck, you may even get a deal if you stay part of the week and through the weekend."
         "That would be a great idea." Lanae remembered camping with her dad when she was little. They would set up the big tent for him and their stuff, and she had her very own little tent. Of course, by the time the fire burned down and it was quiet, she was slipping out of her tent and into dad's.
         "I wouldn't have any way to get into town, or I think I would do just that." Lanae came free from her trek into the past.
         "When do you need to be out? I'd let you bunk over at my place, but it's so small."
         "I think she wants me to be out by Thursday and not back until Tuesday. She didn't say for sure, but that's the days she has marked on the calendar."
         "Well, the weekend would be no problem, since you don't work weekends, but the other days would create a problem. I'll see if I can find the names of the motels." Heather did find a few and wrote a note for Lanae.
         After work, Lanae told her mom she was going to call a couple of motels and see what they charged. "How long do you want me out?"
         "Well, you could stay Wednesday night, but then you would need to take everything with you on Thursday. I thought maybe Wednesday after work I could drive you over and haul your stuff. I could pay for the room through the weekend, and then come and get you at work Tuesday and we could get your stuff then and bring it back home."
         Lanae called around and got a few prices. They ate dinner without much conversation, and Tuesday morning Lanae decided not to go in for classes. "I'm going to pack up what I need and get things ready to go, I'll take the bus to work later."
         "If you're sure." Phyllis was gone out the door.
         Lanae packed up some cloths, dug out the perfume and make-up she kept hidden from her mom, and took out one of the suitcases she had borrowed from Sally. She thought about calling Sally to come and get her. Not just for the weekend like her mom wanted, but forever. She was so fed up with things, it was just like before. Now, Frank is coming over and everything changes, now it's alright to spend money. "If you knew I had perfume that smells nice instead of your stinky stuff, and that I put make-up on before work you would have a fit."
         "Stop wasting money, you need to save up and get out of here. You don't need make-up, if you want a man go home to Gary. Why do you need your own perfume, you can use mine. What, it's not good enough for you?" Lanae mocked her mom's tone.
         "Look at me, I'm going insane. Maybe I should call Sally and tell her I'll take her up on her offer, I can't do this." Lanae knew she couldn't do that. She had called Sally a couple of times, to let her know things were going good, that she was studying for her GED, and especially when she got her job. She couldn't stand thinking of calling her now and telling her she was giving up.
         She looked at the clock on the microwave, "Shit I have to go. She changed in a rush and ran out the door. She ran down the sidewalk to the corner and got there just as the bus was pulling away. The driver seen her and stopped, opened the door. "You almost didn't make it, Miss."
         Lanae showed her pass, then sat down. A few minutes later she was getting off and hustling down the street to work. When she got there she had some extra time before her shift, so she got a glass of pop and relaxed for a couple of minutes. It seemed cloudy in the dining area. She sniffed the air, and it smelled heavy of smoke, and then the kitchen door burst open.
         Jim came through in rush. Heather, help me get everyone out. He seen Lanae, "Don't just sit there, go check the bathrooms, get everyone out!"
         Lanae jumped and rushed down the hall to the restrooms. Both doors were open, and both were empty. She came back and Jim grabbed her arm and pulled her towards the open door. She could hear sirens getting closer, and the room was now thick with smoke. Even as they passed the kitchen doors, flames pushed through under them and thick black smoke bellowed into the room from between them.
         Jim almost pulled her arm off as he rushed for the front door. Heather was already outside and fire trucks were unloading men and hoses were dragged into the caf Police soon showed up and began moving the crowd of people further away. An ambulance stopped and paramedics got out.
         They talked to her, to Jim, and to Heather, as well as some of the diners who had been rushed out. Soon, they left along with most of the fire trucks. Jim was inside with a police officer and one of the firemen. When he came out, the police officer talked to him a minute longer, then left. The last fire truck pulled away from the curb and vanished down the street close behind.
         Jim came over to where Lanae and Heather were standing. "You can go in and get your purses and stuff, but I have to have someone from the insurance with when you do. They are on the way over and should be here soon."
         Lanae looked over at the front door, then asked, "What happened, how bad is it?"
         "The fire broke out in the deep fryer, and burned part of the wall, some of the cabinets and counter, and some of the cupboards caught. They got it out, luckily the lid put out the fryer fire. That damn old thing actually worked, the lid closed and put out the grease fire. Not soon enough, but it worked. I'll be damned, it worked."
         He seemed lost for a minute, then blinked, "The water and foam did more damage than the fire, I think. We will not be open for a while. I don't know how long. Hold on there's the insurance guy." Jim went over and talked to him, they went in then came back out and talked some more.
         Soon enough they came over and escorted the heather and Lanae in to get their stuff. Then, they were back out in front and Jim told them, "I will have to go over a few things with the insurance, but they want to get things moving as soon as possible, so we can get back to business. He's going to take some pictures, talk to the fire chief, and then let me know when we can get someone in to clean the mess up and work on getting us open again. I'll call you two and let you know when you will be back to work."
         Heather asked Lanae if she wanted a ride. "Sure, there isn't any sense in staying here."
They got in the car and took off. "Well, it looks like you're going camping anyway. You may as well stay at the campground and save some money."
         "I don't have any camping stuff, or I think I would."
         Heather pulled over, then made a U-turn. "I think there's a sporting goods store that rents out all kinds of stuff like that. I don't remember the name, but I think it's over by the recycling yard."
         They were soon pulling into the gravel parking lot. Together they went in and Lanae explained to the young guy working what she needed. He looked to be in high school yet, and was very obvious in checking them both out. Lanae thought it felt good, but Heather whispered to her, "That kid keeps looking at us. I doubt his balls have even dropped yet, what's wrong with these kids nowadays?"
         They soon had everything needed for a camping trip set out, and priced. Lanae wanted to use a tent instead of renting a cabin so they added that in. It wasn't too expensive, and it would be cheaper than a motel. "Heather, I think this will be fun, but does the bus go out there? Maybe I can get a taxi. I just don't know if I want to go out there all alone."
         That was all it took. "Well, if you don't mind some company, I'm out of work for a few days, too. I'll pay halfsies and drive if you're up to sharing the tent." A half hour later they were at Heather's packing. Then it was over to Lanae's to tell her mom the plan. She expected some argument, especially since it wasn't mom's idea.
         Phyllis surprised her daughter. "That sounds like a good idea, it's cheaper, and you used to love to go camping. You gals will have a blast, and I think it's good your making some friends. When were your planning on going?"
         Lanae looked at Heather, and they smiled, "Right now. We just need to stop and get some food."
         "I don't know if any of the camping stuff is still any good. I may have gotten rid of it. Where would it be?"
         Lanae stopped her with her hand. "It's alright, Mom. We rented everything we need. Heather and I each went in on the stuff and it's only about what a motel room costs for one night. We're set to go, as soon as we get some grub."
         Lanae went to her room and grabbed her packed bag. "Bye, Mom, have fun. I'll be back on Tuesday."
         "What if Jim calls and wants you back to work? How can I reach you?"
         Heather answered, I've got Jim's phone number, I'll call him in a couple of days and see if he knows when the cafwill reopen. I doubt it will be very soon - a couple of weeks at least."
         "Bye Mom." Lanae was eager to go camping, and even more eager to get out of the house before something changed.
***
© Copyright 2013 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/801540