*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/801547
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1969314
My first novel, written for NaNoWriMo, 2013. It's unedited; preserved as it was written.
#801547 added December 31, 2013 at 5:53pm
Restrictions: None
New Friends
Lanae stayed with Steve and Sally for just over two weeks. The weekend was kind of a blur when she thought back on it. Sally had helped her unpack her things in an extra bedroom, and then ran her a hot bath. Thinking back, it wasn't so much to relax her as to clean her up before she slept in their bed. She had not noticed how dirty she had become until after she had soaked in the hot water for a while, then washed up.
         The water was filthy! Of course, they did not have a bathtub at the apartment, only a shower that was always full of mildew. She didn't have anything to clean with, except for dish soap. In fact, the only other soap in the place was Gary's bar of Lava.
         She pulled the plug and used her hands to clean the ring from the tub as best she could. She dried off and slipped into the robe Sally had insisted she take. When she came out, Sally was waiting for her. "I'm sorry, Sally, I kind of left a mess in your bathtub."
         "That's no problem Lanae. I put some of my cloths out on your bed, you can borrow them until we get yours washed. I don't mean to sound rude, but most of your stuff had kind of a smell, and I assumed they just needed washing. I know what it's like to not have a washing machine to keep after them."
         Lanae knew why the cloths had a smell to them, she didn't have money to go to the Laundromat. For that matter, she did not have money for laundry soap. Like everything else, she washed them out by hand, in the kitchen sink, with dish soap. Even that was a limited commodity, so she would try and go as long as she could before washing anything, including herself.
         "You're too kind, Sally. Yes, everything needs washing, including me. I'm ashamed to say, I've begun living more like an animal than a person. Gary gets so mad if I use too much of anything. I don't wash more often than I have too. I suppose I just got used to the filth a little at a time. I - I'm sorry."
         "Don't you be sorry for what you had no choice in, I know how life was for you. Steve often told me how bad Gary was to you, and how you had to live. That's why I let him come over so often and sent things over for you. Maybe it wasn't any of my business, or ours, but we couldn't look the other way. I just hope your starting to see what kind of life you will have to live if you don't leave."
         Lanae was dressed in nicer cloths than she had worn in a long time. She felt good, but a bit ashamed of what she had become. "I know your right, but I don't know where to go. I don't have anyone I can turn to." Even as she said it, she knew she did, she had friends right here who had already done more for her than anyone since her dad had died.
         "Hush! You do have someone."
         Lanae nodded as Sally continued on. "Me and Steve will do what we can for you. We have the extra room, and your no burden. We have plenty and want to help, so no arguments, OK? For now, let's just say you're staying over for a few days to think things out. It will give us girls a chance to get to know each other better, and we can come up with a game plan later."
         Lanae nodded again, "Thanks."
         "You're welcome, now let's go eat some dinner. It's nothing fancy, I didn't have time to do anything fancy, as you know. I'm thinking maybe Sunday we can do up a big feast, you can help, and it will be like the old days with the big Sunday dinner, like when I was a little girl." Sally led the way and Lanae followed.
         Steve was already sitting at the table, it was set and the food was ready. "I didn't know how long you two would be, so I set the table and put the food out. I don't know about you two, but I'm ravished."
         They enjoyed a simple meal, but to Lanae, it was a feast. Big hamburgers on buns with all the fixings set out. She had not had anything that extravagant in ages. There were also homemade mashed potatoes with real butter, and Lanae wasn't certain, but it tasted like fresh green beans. She knew they weren't canned.
         Lanae thought about how simple they had lived, surviving on hot dogs most days of the week. Sometimes when they had enough, she would make a casserole, but that was always with the cheapest cuts of meat she could find, often greasy hamburger or hotdogs. They did get bread, but most of that was saved for Gary's lunch. Now that she thought about, she had to by deli meats, chips, cookies, even snack cakes for his lunch. He always had to have two eggs and toast for breakfast, too.
         A dozen eggs would last if she didn't eat any. Often, they didn't have milk, since Gary didn't drink it. She had gotten a box of instant, so she could at least have milk on her cereal in the mornings. Lunch was always the same, Roman Noodles, just different flavors depending on which kinds were cheapest. If she did real well on her spending, she sometimes had a box of crackers in the cupboard.
         She looked up across the table to see both Sally and Steve watching her. She had been lost in thought, remembering these things while she ate. She felt a blush creeping over her cheeks as she set her fork down. She realized she had been gulping her food down and had almost cleaned her plate up already and they had not even started eating.
         Steve just smiled and said, "It's OK Lanae, we understand. It's just that we always say grace before we eat. We have plenty and like to give thanks." He took Sally's hand on one side and reached across to Lanae. "If you're not Christian, it's OK, I just hope you don't mind us praying."
         She realized he had reached for her hand. She lifted it from her lap and placed her hand in his. "Yes, I am a Christian, it's just been a long time since I prayed. I guess since my dad died." Tears began to form, and she thought she would bust out crying, but she managed to hold them back.
         They bowed their heads down in unison so Lanae followed suit. "Father, thank you for this wonderful meal, for everything we have, and especially for giving us the means to help our friend. Help her find her way Father, and guide us in our daily decisions. We pray and ask in Christ's name, Amen."
         After dinner, Lanae insisted on doing up the dishes. Sally dried them and put them away, and they talked about little things going on in town. After, Lanae was exhausted and asked if they minded if she just went to bed.
         "No, for Heaven's sake not. If your tired you just go right ahead and turn in. One thing I must insist on, Lanae, while you're here your part of the family, you don't have to ask." Sally told her.
         "Do you have enough blankets on her bed, Sally?" Steve asked. "That room tends to be kind of cold, especially if she feels she wants the door shut. Lanae, if you need anything, just let us know, OK?"
         "Everything is fine Steve, there are plenty of blankets on the bed, and Sally showed me where she kept some extra ones in the closet. I will ask if I need anything, and if it's alright, I would like to keep the door open so it's not so dark. You know, new surroundings and stuff."
         "Yes, you can leave that door open, it makes it much warmer in there. Help yourself to anything you need, and maybe tomorrow you and Sally can make up a list of things you need, and we can pick them up. Goodnight Lanae, I hope you sleep alright and have pleasant dreams."
         "Sweet Dreams indeed, Lanae. I'll come back with you and make sure we have everything covered." Sally got up and walked Lanae back to the bedroom. "I know we talked about this before, but just in case you need them, I have them under the sink in the bathroom. You help yourself. If there is anything else, anything, let me know."
         "I will."
         Sally smiled at her, a genuine heartfelt smile. "I think we are going to get to be good friends, Lanae. Just a minute I have something I want you to have." Sally turned and left the room, but returned in a couple minutes with a very pretty cotton nightgown. It was full length, white with little roses on it. The sleeves ended in lace, and there was also lace along the neckline. It was very beautiful, and when Lanae took it, very soft. "I can't take that, Sally. You don't need to do this...."
         "Shh. Yes, you can take this, and I want to give this to you. I bought this a while back, on sale. They didn't have one in my size, but I thought maybe I could wear it anyway. It fit alright, but I like my sleepwear a little looser. Besides, when I washed it, it shrunk and now it's too small for me anyway. But I bet it will fit you just perfect. Now go ahead, put it on. If your bashful I'll leave for a minute, but I do want to see how it fits you."
         Lanae smiled and said, "It's OK, your fine." She stripped down and slipped the soft cotton gown over her head and let it fall into place. It fit pretty good, just a little big on her. She looked in the mirror as she run her hands down the soft fabric covering her chest.
         "It's almost too big for you. I think it will fit fine once we put a little meat on your bones again. I hope you don't mind me saying it, Lanae, but your way to skinny."
         Lanae had notice how thin she had gotten. She had always been slim, but never to the point her ribs stuck out like they do now. "I don't mind, I noticed after my bath that I was too thin. If you keep feeding me like you did tonight, though, I'm going to fatten right up."
         They both laughed, then Sally went to the doorway and turned to look back, "I'm glad you're here, Lanae. Goodnight." Sally waited until Lanae was in bed, then turned the light off, but left the door open. Later, when she went to bed with Steve, she stopped at the open door. She could hear Lanae's soft breathing and knew she was sound asleep.
         Lanae didn't wake in time for breakfast, and Sally told Jim, "I'll just let her sleep until she wakes up, it's hard to say when she had a good night sleep." They discussed the situation and decided it would be best if Lanae stayed long enough to get some rest, eat right, and think things over.
         "I'm not for breaking up any relationship," Steve told Sally while Lanae slept. "Even so, Sally, some things just are not right and I can't stand by and do nothing. I won't tell her she should leave Gary, but I will make sure she knows what kind of life she is in for if she stays. That is, if Gary even wants her around now that he's seeing someone on the side; guys like him always want a wife at home to push around and treat like dirt, while they treat some other bimbo like a queen."
         "I agree, it's not our place to tell her what she should do, but as friends it is our responsibility to give her time and room to think things through. We also need to let her know just what the score is, too."
         Lunch time came around, and again they let Lanae sleep. Steve kissed Sally as he left for the afternoon, "I have some paperwork to finish up at work, but it shouldn't take long. Maybe it will give you and Lanae a chance to talk more."
         "Maybe, but I still don't like it when you have to go in on weekends. That's our time!" She smiled and winked, "You'll just have to make it up to me when you get back home."
         "Sure, and Lanae can keep score, right? I don't think she would enjoy listening to us going off like two cats fighting all afternoon."
         "We don't sound like two cats fighting when we make love, we just get kinda loud, that's all."
         "Kinda loud? Remember when we first moved in and the old lady next door called the cops because she thought I was beating you?" Steve chuckled, "She told them it sounded like I was skinning a cat over here, and she feared for your life. Remember?"
         "Yeah, I remember; you won't ever let me forget. Now get out of here before I change my mind and tackle you right there."
         "Maybe you have time to take a cold shower before your guest wakes. Not too cold, I don't want to miss out, just enough to settle you down till later. Now, I have to go and get that work done so I can come back and show you what for." Steve kissed her again and slid his hand down and gave her butt a tight but loving squeeze then turned and hustled down the sidewalk. He didn't quite hear what she said, but he didn't need to.
         Lanae didn't wake up until almost two in the afternoon. Sally made her a light lunch, and the two women talked. At first Lanae was embarrassed as different things came up. She remembered how dirty the bath water had been. She also seen how much brighter her cloths where after Sally had washed them, folded them and put them in a neat pile on the dresser in the room Lanae was using.
         After talking for a while, Lanae seemed to relax. Everything came pouring out. She didn't hold back, telling Sally how she never had money for food, but would get screamed at and called filthy names if there wasn't anything good to eat. She told her how Gary had to have nice foods for his lunch, while she ate noodles. Gary had to have good cloths for work, but she could not buy anything for herself, even used clothing at the thrift store, without having to take Gary's insults and yelling.
         She told Sally how she had thought about leaving so many times, but just didn't have any place to go. She filled her in on the story of her dad's death, how her mom was in many ways, like Gary, and how they had parted.
         "Your mom was probably very upset by your dad's death, and since you are so much like him, it hurt her to see this in you. I agree, she sounds a lot like Gary, and people like that don't know how to deal with grief or any other situation that comes along." Sally took hold of Lanae's hand from across the table, "I think the problems with your mom are a big part of why you ended up with someone like Gary. I don't want to take any sides, it's not my place. Even so, Lanae, I have to call it like I see it. Then it's up to you to decide what course of action is best. I will do my best to help you as much as I can, but in the end, you have to do it."
         Lanae nodded, "I know. I need to deal with my dad's death and move on. I don't think I ever did really except it. I also have to deal with my mother, and put our differences aside. No matter what she is, she is my mother and was my dad's wife. I guess if he could love her, I can too."
         "That's the key, to let go of the hurt and bitterness, to move on, and when you can do that you can start loving yourself again. Once you love yourself, it will be easier to love you mom again."
         They enjoyed their afternoon together. Sally took Lanae out to the garage, and they went through some boxes Sally and Steve had stored out there, waiting a yard sale, someday. "Let's find you some cloths, if there's anything in here you like, and will fit you. I bet a lot of my old cloths will fit alright. They went and shrunk on me, so I had to buy bigger ones."
         They both laughed. "I have the opposite problem, Sally, all my cloths must have stretched, and they are too big for me. Of course, with your wonderful cooking, I'll likely be suffering the same problem as you soon enough." It felt good to talk to someone, and even better to laugh. She was surprised she didn't start crying earlier when she talked about her life at home and her dad. Instead of crying and feeling dead, like she usually did when she thought about these things, she felt relieved and lightened.
         "Sally, I know we just met, but you are the best friend I think I have ever had. The only other person I have ever felt this comfortable and happy around is my dad."
         "Thank you, that's the bestest compliment I think I have ever gotten. You are a wonderful person Lanae, it's easy to be a good friend to someone as friendly as you. Your right, I noticed how easy it is to talk to you, and I agree, we have a special kind of friendship, in a way, I'm glad things worked the way they did, it provided us an opportunity for friendship we may not have had otherwise."
         "I didn't think about that, but you're right, there is a silver lining in this cloud. And my new friend helped me find it." Lanae put her arms around Sally and gave her a big hug. Sally returned the gesture; there was no awkwardness as the two women embraced and hugged each other tight.
         "What's this?" Steve made them both jump. "I told you to take a cold shower so you could wait, but no. Instead I come in and find you in the arms of another - Uh, another woman. What am I complaining about?"
         Steve rushed over and put his strong arms around the two of them and squeezed them so tight they could hardly breathe. "My dream come true, two beautiful women who just can't refuse me." HE released his grip enough they could pull back and breathe again, but he didn't let them go, not yet. "Threesome!" He yelled.
         Sally pinched his nipple and he let go of them both, "Owe! Hey, none of that kinky rough stuff, girls."
         "You aren't getting no threesome, you'll be lucky if you get a one-some in the shower with yourself." Sally scolded him.
         Lanae didn't know how to respond, she felt her cheeks flush, but she wasn't sure if she was embarrassed, intrigued with the idea, or just afraid this would turn into a fight. She suspected the last, she was so use to everything turning into a fight.
         "Look what you did now, you knucklehead, you went and embarrassed Lanae, with your silliness." Sally turned and told Lanae, "You don't have to worry about him, he's all talk until he has to come through, then excuses, excuses, and more excuses. Why just earlier today I wanted to ride him like a Pogo stick but he come up with some excuse to run off to work."
         Steve stepped back, looked down and did his best pouty face as he cradled his breast. "I think you broke my titty-bone." He peeked up to see if he would get any sympathy, then quickly looked down again.
         That was all it took and Lanae and Sally both broke out laughing. "Get out of here or we're going to make you model these dresses for us." Sally lifted the edge of a pile of clothes they had been going through.
         The first few nights, Lanae was tired out and ready for bed shortly after dinner. Once she had rested up and gained some strength back from eating right, she started staying up later in the evenings, enjoying movies, games, and most of all, talking to her new friends. The days flew by, and with each new day, she felt better.
         She would not just freeload off these kind people, so she set about doing housework, cooking and anything else she could do to help out. She enjoyed doing the work, and she enjoyed more knowing Sally would not have to do these tasks when she got home from work. All three became close friends, but the bond between Lanae and Sally was more than just friends, they were like sisters.
         Even so, Lanae knew she had to do something different, she could not stay on with Sally and Steve indefinitely. She looked at the paper for work, called places, and Sally helped her fill out resumes and applications. "You know, Lanae, your bright, hardworking and would be an asset to any job. But, with no high school diploma, they just don't even look any further. Even if they did, you just don't have anything for experience."
         "I know, I really wish now I had finished high school. I wanted to, but Gary...."
         Sally nodded, "I know, but you can still finish. Take classes and get your GED. Also, I've been talking to Steve about an idea that may give you a little some experience. I also think it will help you out."
         "OK, what's your idea?"
         "Well, it would take a little bit of work, but we could turn part of the basement into a little apartment for you. That way you would still be close by, we could still have fun, but you would see your fine on your own. You would be cooking and paying some rent, a real apartment all your own."
         "That sounds good on paper, Sally, but it would take a lot of work. And a lot of money! I can't afford that, I don't have a job, remember?"
         "We will all work together, so it won't be that big of a job. Steve and I will finance it all, and when you get your job and pay your rent, we will be reimbursed. We even talked about how to decide on how much rent, we would go on a percent of your income. Of course, we will discuss all of this together when the time comes. For now, it's set you up with an apartment, then find you a job, and then when we decide on rent, we want to put half of what you pay towards the cost, the other half goes into a savings account to invest in your future, college or something. Whatever you want."
         "I can't let you do all that!" Lanae was shaking her head, "It will cost a fortune, for one, and what if I don't find a job, I wouldn't be able to pay for rent or food or utilities, anything."
         "That's the sweet part, there won't be any utilities, we would just keep them on with ours, you would have access to the washer and dryer, everything. We can even run cable down to you for almost nothing. And, it gets even sweeter. You will have a job, a temporary one until you find something better. But it will give you some experience to list, a place to study for your GED, and some money to buy things and enjoy."
         "OK, what's this secret job only you know about?"
         "Steve knows, too, and now you will, so no secret. You can work for us."
         "Doing what?"
         "Just what you're doing now, housework. We want to hire you as a professional house cleaner. You already do the work, you would just get paid and could list it for work experience." Sally was smiling from ear to ear.
         Lanae hugged her tight, then stepped back, "I can't let you do all that. I mean, I love the idea, but I will not take pay for helping you out. You don't make me pay for your help and friendship, please don't try and pay me for returning it."
         "But, Lanae...."
         "No, that's final. I love you so much Sally, and I thank you for the offer, but I just can't do that. It's a grand idea, but it's too much. I couldn't do it, and even if you convinced me otherwise, I still won't take a chance on something like this. What if it somehow cost us the wonderful friendship we share? I can't and won't do it!"
         "At least think about it? Please, just think about it. We can talk about it later, and you can decided then. But only after you think about it. If you still feel this way, I won't push it, OK?"
         "OK"
***
© Copyright 2013 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/801547