*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/802073-Soup-Saturday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mystery · #1222498
A place for random thoughts, ideas, and fun!
#802073 added January 4, 2014 at 12:26pm
Restrictions: None
Soup Saturday
I made chicken soup with matzo balls for the first time, yesterday. Well, I made chicken soup for the first time. I’ve made matzo balls many times, during Passover preparations. BUT, I’ve never tried making matzo balls without matzo meal, before. I could NOT find any in the grocery store, and did not feel like tooling all over town to find some. So I bought matzo, and made my own in the food processor.

First, though . . . the soup. I looked through recipe after recipe online, trying to find one that sounded like what I wanted. I had nearly everything I needed, except for a chicken and some herbs.

Chicken soup
1(4 to 5) pound chicken
2 to 3 quarts water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 parsnip
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots
3 stalks celery
3 parsley sprigs
1 dill sprig

Place chicken in water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Skim fat that rises to top with large spoon. Repeat 2 more times or as needed. Add vegetables and herbs. Cover and let simmer for 3 hours.

The recipe worked really well. I added 3 carrots, rather than 2. It might have been a bit sweeter than I wanted, as a result. I’ll try sticking with the recipe, next time. The only problem I had was that the fat did not want to foam for me, which made it tough to skim. As a result, the first servings had a lot of grease on the top. Another recipe said to refrigerate overnight and skim the fat . . . but who’s got time for that when you have someone in the house who needs chicken soup!?

And on to the matzo balls. So I may not have processed the matzo quite enough, or somehow I may have gotten the proportions a little off, but they were too sticky while I was forming them, and when I dropped them into the boiling water, some of them fell apart. On the other hand . . . they were the fluffiest matzo balls I’ve ever had! *Delight*

If you prefer your maztah balls light and fluffy, this is the recipe for you.  It’s the seltzer that makes the difference.  Originally from the back of a Manichewitz® box, my aunt has been making them this way for years.

Matzo balls
4 eggs
1/2 cup seltzer
1 cup matzah meal
1/3 cup melted shortening (margarine)
1 tsp salt
Dash white pepper

Add seltzer, salt, shortening & pepper to beaten eggs. Mix well. Add matzah meal and stir thoroughly. Place into refrigerator, and let stand 20 minutes. Form into balls & drop into boiling water that had been seasoned with 1 tablespoon of salt.

Cook 45 minutes. Drain with slotted spoon and cool. Place in refrigerator or freezer.  Heat and add to soup before serving.


© Copyright 2014 Merry Mumsy (UN: amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Merry Mumsy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/802073-Soup-Saturday