*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/803438-This-ones-about-the-youth-and-a-good-book
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1939270
A third attempt at this blogging business.
#803438 added January 15, 2014 at 9:50pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the youth and a good book.
30DBC PROMPT: "Write about a childhood experience that you remember vividly. Include as much sensory detail as possible."

What's the good word y'all? The war chest has spoken, and it wants to know a little somethin' about our past. That's fine and all, but I have a shoddy memory for things. It's so random. I can recall some things from eons ago, yet I'll forget what I had for lunch. Sometimes I can spew the most inane details from something that happened when I was in elementary school, and other times I'll forget that even though Main St. in Cortland is a one-way street, I should still look both ways before crossing it. Yup, you know how I do.

Since I'm having trouble today trying to pinpoint any specific memories, I'm going to do something unprecedented in my many years of blogging and enlist the help of a guest writer. I don't know exactly how this works in the bylaws of the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS, but I have to think it's kinda legal. So anyway, without further ado, I present to you: The Six-Year-Old Me.

Me, age five or six.


Hello! One day we went to Niagara Falls! I got to wear shorts with socks that have the stripes on them...they go up to my knees! Niagara Falls is where there's a lot of water, and it's really wet. I went with my mom and my grandma and my aunt and my brother. They're not in this picture; well, they are, but I cut them out 'cuz I'm the one writing about this day. Nobody went over the falls in a barrel today. I think people do that to be funny...who wears just a barrel? There's two Niagara Fallses. One is here by Buffalo, and the other is up on the map in Canada...everyone says it's nicer there. I don't know 'cuz it all just looks like water to me. Water in a hurry going downhill. It's neat how it gets all foamy, but it looks kinda yucky when it's just there at the bottom. I hope there's no sharks there. I don't wanna stand too close to the railing 'cuz if I fall in and there's sharks I might get eaten. But I can swim good, so I can probably swim away. It would be cool if there were a McDonalds somewhere when we drive home. Not that we have to go there, but McDonalds is fun and has Happy Meals. Someday when I get bigger I'm gonna come to Niagara Falls all by myself because I can go fishin' and swim, but not where it's yucky. Big people tell me to go jump in a lake sometimes when I'm talking to them. I would if I could but I can't so I won't! And that was my trip to see Niagara Falls! Bye!

Ok, go easy on the kid. It's his first time here and he's a little excited. You would be too if it were 1981 and you were within a stone's throw of a foreign country for the first time. Funny things of note though...I've never been to Niagara Falls by myself, and I grew up to not enjoy fishing, but the Canadian side of the falls definitely is prettier and more picturesque, plus there's more to see and do compared to a dilapidated and beat-up lookin' urban landscape masquerading as a tourist attraction. But don't take my word for it...tell 'em The Six-Year-Old Me sent ya. *Wink*

BCF PROMPT: "What was the last good book you read?"

Well, I made no secret of the fact two nights ago that when I was younger I never read the book Night by Elie Wiesel, or that I started reading it because my internet was broken for awhile Monday morning/afternoon. And no joke, I still haven't finished it (but to my credit I did work yesterday and today). It's a really great book so far (even though the idea of it all is harsh and pretty terrible). As I'd mentioned to Lyn's a sly fox when we were discussing it, the book reminds me an awful lot of Man's Search For Meaning by Dr. Viktor E. Frankl (which, to be honest, is not a good book in my opinion, evidenced by this particular entry: "This one's about the rules and not giving a fang.- and you should definitely read that entry, if only because I spent way too much time looking in the wrong blog for it), but it's more from a psychological standpoint rather than it being just a memoir.

But since this is my blog and I make the rules, I'm declaring that since I haven't finished Night yet, it doesn't count as a book I've read. And honestly, while I've read a few books since I've been in Cortland, I haven't read what I'd consider a good book, although I'm not sure I've established any kind of criteria that a piece of literature should be judged by. Therefore, I'm going to evoke section 3.8457521 of paragraph C of the eighteenth amendment to the fourth parable of the nth degree times six of fourscore and a fortnight of the greatest parameter of blogging etiquette, and declare my right to submit a motion to call "shenanigans" on this prompt, because I think CJ Reddick might just be looking for something different to read and is having trouble deciding on what to add to his reading list, and is using this prompt as an excuse a means of soliciting suggestions. I know my rights, man!! *Smirk*

Just playin', CR. Actually, section 3.8457521 of paragraph C of the eighteenth amendment to the fourth parable of the nth degree times six of fourscore and a fortnight of the greatest parameter of blogging etiquette is just code for "I'm picking a classic that everyone but me had to read sometime before they were of the age where kids become adults and graduate college", because I never really had to read cool, fun books under mandatory precepts (and even if I was supposed to, chances are I probably didn't read them anyway back then). This past summer I reread One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (I first read it about eight or so years ago), which is one of my all-time favorite books (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-hB-WkQQkI). What's not to love about it? A guy gets sent to an asylum (nowadays they're called "Behavioral Health Units"...don't ask me how I know that *Wink*) instead of prison and turns the whole ward on its ear. It's fascinating, comical, and at times hilarious, with a glorious ending that's equal parts unfortunate and uplifting. In my opinion, you could almost have an entire season's worth of sitcom episodes out of everything that happens in this masterpiece...it's that good. And let's just say I have a soft spot in my heart for those who are touched differently by the hands of higher powers. That is all.

Unfortunately, I won't be taking any books out from the local library to read anytime soon. Seems I accidently on purpose once kept a dvd I borrowed a week past its due date, and I now owe them the maximum $5 late charge (which actually is about the only thing that's more forgiving than the Buffalo/Erie County public library system, which will milk you almost limitlessly for overdue materials), of which I'm too unwilling to part with at the current time. Oh, I'm sure one day I'll get around to paying that up and restoring my borrowing privileges. Just not soon.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

I really couldn't think of anything else appropriate music-wise that totally fit whatever it is I have goin' on in either prompt, so this is what you get.



THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

*Hockeyhelmet* Back-to-back Sabres games (yesterday and tonight), and instead of watching it I'm here, writing about not watching it. And it's against divison/cross-border rival Toronto. Wanna know a secret? Many years ago I was a not-so-closet Maple Leafs fan. I had one of those Starter pullover winter coats and everything. I don't know whatever happened to that jacket, but I know I lost it...and who loses a jacket like that?? Me, that's who. But it probably happened for the greater good, seeing as how a few years later the NHL would realign their divisions and once again pit both teams against each other on a more frequent basis.

*Magnify* Hey, just curious...who clicked on "section 3.8457521..." in the BCF's prompt response 'cuz they thought it might be a link to something actually real and sorta official or important simply because it was blue? It's ok to admit that you did. I won't shame you.

*Pizza* Like the person who wrote this article, I too am sure I've heard this before but never really thought about it. I know I always preferred the "wrap it in tin foil and stick it in the oven" method over microwaving leftover pizza, but the rationale behind this idea is so mind-blowingly simple that I really can't believe I never gave it serious consideration. http://gawker.com/the-way-to-reheat-pizza-is-in-a-skillet-1502193686

*Eat* And because I'm late to pretty much everything awesome, it brings me great happiness to share with you the news that I have finally made it to a store that sells Chocolate Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts. I can't wait to be hungry so I can (hopefully) tell you all how absolutely incredible they are. They better be incredible, because it hurts my heart knowing that there are some things out there made of the combination of chocolate and peanut butter that aren't great (like Peanut Butter Oreos...great concept, bad execution).

I don't believe I have anything more to say in regards to this day or either prompt. I hope this has found you well and stuff. Peace from The Thirty-Eight-Year-Old-Me, you got chocolate in my peanut butter, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/803438-This-ones-about-the-youth-and-a-good-book