*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805284-Jan-31-In-Memory-of-my-father-Roy-Buss
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#805284 added January 31, 2014 at 3:12pm
Restrictions: None
Jan 31 In Memory of my father Roy Buss

Eulogy


Roy Albert Buss was born January 8th, 1928 to Derk and Ruby Buss, in Concordia, Kansas.  Not long after that,  they moved the family to Monroe, WA where Bill and Marie Wager made them welcome and helped Derk get a job.  It was at this time that Marie brought Ruby to the Apostolic Faith Church and camp meeting where Ruby received all her experiences.  From that time on Roy and his siblings were raised in a home where his mother made sure her children learned about God.

The family moved to Dallas, Oregon attending church there. later moving to Portland where he graduated from Benson Polytechnic High School.  Around that time Roy gave his heart to the Lord and soon began his service as a worker in the church by participating in the street meeting outreach.  This was just the start of lifelong ministry. 

On September 10th, 1949 he married the cute little red head he fell in love with, Dorothy Jean Robinson.

From early in his working life God allowed Roy to be under the tutelage of master craftsman in many aspects of the construction trade to hone his skills.  He started by caring hod for brother Newt Lesher. he learned how to make cabinets, furniture, read blue prints, paint, wallpaper, build a house including Sheetrock.  He was a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None".  Roy would say.  He gave God all the Glory" for any job he did.  As God gave him different opportunities to learn many crafts God always made sure Roy could take care of his family.  Once when he lost his job in Los Angeles he was soon given a union job becoming an operating engineer.  This job once almost cost him his life when a boom hit an electrical wire but, God spared him. 

His dedication and love for sharing the gospel grew with the Sunday School work.  After moving to Los Angeles, California in the early 50's he became a Sunday School teacher.  When he became the Sunday School Superintendent his passion and enthusiasm soon had the attendance booming.  The children worked very hard to win the rewards Roy used to promote memory work, participation, and attendance.

In his 30's Roy was called to preach.  His sermons started with a text, then a Bible application and how it related to us in our everyday life and it's challenges.  His sermons encouraged one and all during the week.  God blessed Roy's calling showing him in many ways how the Bible truths are applied in the things he did.  As an example, when the Pastor would call on him to preach unexpectedly Roy would say "I know, God gave me a message this afternoon." He kept a Bible in the truck glove compartment.

In 1964 he was asked to move with his family to Grants Pass, Oregon to be the assistant pastor.  He served there for four years before being asked to move his family to Kansas City, Missouri. 

In 1973 the family moved to Winfield Kansas where he pastored for 3 years.  Then in 1976 he returned to Portland, Oregon where began working for the church and also doing small jobs for church folk.  During Roy's years of working for the church he was privileged to serve in many capacities such as making desks and other furniture for the church office and pastor's office in the new church.  He also made deliveries to new church construction projects up and down the west coast and throughout the Midwest.  With each new church that was built across the United States, including Denver, St. Louis, Chicago, Medford, Richmond, CA, and Los Angeles, he would serve in some capacity.  From each place he went away more blessed than those who remained. 

Roy and Jean were blessed with a quiver full of children that Jean had prayed for.  There were 6 children, Christina, Kathy, Annette, Carol, Susan, and Gregory. 

His Sunday school work was not over and he was asked to be the Superintendent in Portland as well.  On a more personal side his love of the outdoors was combined with his love of the Lord when he became president of the A.F. Sportsman's Club.

He was blessed with the ability to travel to Korea three times as a missionary.  He attended meetings in several locations and preached.  When he returned and shared stories of his journeys the most memorable points where about the foods he ate, specifically the spicy Kim-chi and the sweet persimmons. 

In Portland part of his ministry became prison and corrections work.  He brought hope to those incarcerated.  He visited the Donald E. Long Juvenile Detention Home where he ministered to the young people in a loving and non-judgmental way. 

He retired from his work and eventually moved to Otis, Oregon to do what he loved: fishing, crabbing and clamming.  He joined the Oregon Bass and Pan Fish club where he attended monthly meetings. 

Four years ago he was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer.  After treatment the doctors gave him 6 to 9 weeks to live.  Weeks after this diagnosis he attended camp meeting and was prayed for.  He immediately began to improve. In December the doctor saw his new scans but refused to admit he had been healed.  We all knew long before this that God had worked a miracle in his life.

In the last four years he spent time with his family and friends.  Enjoying his grandchildren and perfecting his skill in word search books. 

In the last weeks of his life his health rapidly declined and it was discovered that he had  Leukemia as well as another type of cancer.  On his death chair he excitedly ministered to all those that visited. He was ready and looking forward to his Heavenly home.


The reading written by his children

             

© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805284-Jan-31-In-Memory-of-my-father-Roy-Buss