*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807315
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#807315 added February 17, 2014 at 12:35am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 65: Andrew - Confrontation
Andrew kicked down the door to the cabin and stormed in, followed closely by his group, Annaliese and Monica. The two women slammed the door shut once everyone was inside, and then sat down to keep it closed. Andrew aimed the gun into the cabin, anticipating the worst, but was surprised to find there were no zombies in the cabin. Brandon was standing at the back of the cabin, arms outstretched and holding his group back against the wall while Ivan and Nick stood in the middle of the cabin, both aiming their weapons at each other.

“Andrew!” Ivan exclaimed, lowering his crossbow and running over to him. Brandon and Nick just had stunned faces on as Andrew looked around the room, equally stunned by what he had just walked in on.

“What the hell is going on here?” Andrew asked aloud.

“Nick was gonna kill me for saying he was wrong for throwing you in the barn.” Ivan quickly explained. He turned back and gave Nick a devilish, dirty grin.

“Oh f*** off, brat!” Nick shouted, lowering his gun to his waist, “Sorry for trying to protect you from a dangerous murderer!”

“I’m not dangerous.” Andrew said, looking at Nick. The guy he considered his best friend had turned against him so quickly, it stung Andrew hard knowing that. “I did what I had to do.”

“No you didn’t.” A voice piped up behind Andrew. He slowly and quietly turned around to find James looking at him with some kind of betrayal and hatred in his eyes. Andrew looked deep into the young boys glassy eyes, and he could truly tell that James wasn’t just angry with Andrew, he was scared of him. “You killed those people without even talking to anybody about it. You just shot them. All of them. Even the one’s who didn’t so anything wrong.”

“At least someone in the room has a brain.” Nick remarked, essentially to himself. Andrew continued to look at James, paying his former friend no mind.

“They would have hurt you. They’d already hurt Brad… they killed him.”

“So you killed them all? Why, Andrew? Why’d you have to do that?” James said, Andrew could see tears forming in his eyes.

“It was what had to be done.” Andrew tried to say firmly, though there was a slight quiver in his voice.

“Did you even regret it?” Nick piped up again. This time, Andrew turned to look at him. “Feel any sort of shock? Disgust?”

“No.” He said, firmly. “I didn’t.”

“Oh so you’re a sociopath. Awesome.” He said sarcastically, turning around and punching a nearby wall in frustration. In the brief moment that Nick had turned around, Andrew drew his gun, sprinted forward, and pinned Nick against the wall.

“For the past three months I have watched my friends get killed and turned into walking corpses. I’ve then had to re-kill them. I killed your camper, while he was essentially still alive, out of mercy. I’ve been confronted by an insane man with some kind of strange god complex for the past month. I killed a sick bastard who was using the apocalypse to live out his most inhuman fantasies. A man I’d looked up too for a majority of my life was killed at a time when I could do nothing about it. And then I killed the four people who deserved it for what they did to that man. And now I’m here, trying to save the kids and friends I’ve worked so hard and done so much to protect while I get berated for doing exactly that. You want to kill me? You want to kill me after all that I’ve done right? I know you were discussing it, I know it’s what you want to do. And what’s the point if all the people I work to protect are afraid of me and think I’m sociopathic” Andrew ranted right into Nick’s ear. He threw the gun away as he finished and backed off. Holding his hands above his head, Andrew kneeled down and started speaking again. “Do it then. Off me. Off the crazy son of a bitch that used to be your best friend.”

“Andrew, no!” Annaliese shouted, trying to rush forward, but Monica grabbed her and held her back. Not just for the sake of her not getting hurt, but for the sake of keeping more than one person up against the door.

Nick stepped forward, gun still in his hand. The room was dead quiet, with no one making a sound.

“Do. It.” Andrew muttered through gritted teeth.

Nick lifted the gun and aimed it at Andrew’s head. Andrew didn’t blink the whole time as Nick aimed, and then lowered the gun. “No, because I’m not like you.”

“You’re right.” Brandon said, finally speaking up after the whole ordeal, “Based on what you said to Ivan, your worse.” Nick turned around to yell something at Brandon, when everyone in the cabin heard a crashing noise, and then the screams of Annaliese and Monica.

The front door had finally broken apart from the undeads attempts to smash through it. The two women were now buried under a mountain of wood and undead. The kids standing near the door yelped and ran further into the cabin, standing with Brandon and his group. Andrew quickly grabbed his gun, and turned back towards the door, followed by Ivan and Nick. The three unloaded on the undead directly on top of the girls, before reaching down and helping pull them out of the rubble. Monica ran farther into the cabin while Aanaliese stood up and drew her own pistol, aiming it out the door. She and Andrew both looked out the door to see a sea of undead working their way towards the cabin. There were much too many for the survivors to keep holding out in the cabin and fight.

“Who else do we know is alive!” Andrew shouted, turning back to the cabins interior.

“Uh, Delvyn is guarding Nick’s group and I’m pretty sure Johanna and her group are there.” Brandon responded.

“And Stuart, Emmy, and Jackson are in Brads Cabin.” Monica said.

“That’s everyone?” Andrew asked, shocked. Brandon shrugged, but Monica shook her head as if to say yes. “It will have too do.” Andrew continued. He then directed everyone out one of the cabins back windows, intending to save the rest of the camp.
© Copyright 2014 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807315