*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807730-Warm-Sands
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Soran
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1973342
A place for pointless news and disjointed personal musings.
#807730 added February 20, 2014 at 8:33pm
Restrictions: None
Warm Sands
I've just hit my weekly goal of 800 words written for that short story I was working on. In celebration, I thought I'd post a little snippet of it here:

Viewed from the air, Dragon’s Brooch and its surrounding territory were even more impressive. Golden plains and the Collar River stretched off to the northwest, the great Orbus Desert dominated the south, and the estuary where the Collar met the Celestial Sea lay to the east. Between it all, the city itself rose from the desert sands and fertile flood plains like a cluster of jewels. Especially striking was the aptly-named Glass District, where the Crystal Palace itself was located; complex stained glass windows decorated every one of the district’s polished wood and sandstone structures.


I have an actual physical map drawn of this setting, which is a huge help when it comes to organizing all those details. Oh, and the city isn't actually home to any dragons; it's mostly inhabited by a population of intelligent birds. Dragons are just a significant part of the setting's mythology, so a lot of locations are named after them.

© Copyright 2014 Soran (UN: soranmbane at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Soran has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807730-Warm-Sands