*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/808941
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest Entry · #1973909
Stories and other items for Valentines Day, Victorian Romance and Jane Austen Writing.
#808941 added January 26, 2023 at 12:09am
Restrictions: None
Elizabeth The Snob, Mr. Darcy The Nice One At First
Prompt: What if Elizabeth ignored Mr. Darcy and was the cold one? Mr. Darcy being nice and the rejected one? Here goes.

Elizabeth, Jane, Kitty, Lydia and Mary arrived at the dance at the same time. The Elsworth mansion was big, fancy and everything in came from Paris. Elizabeth thought the Bennett house looked plain compared to this. Elizabeth always felt poor compared to these people but mother insisted that they attend all the dances.

Charles Bringley and his sister Caroline were here. Charles had been over to the Bennett house a couple of time and had bought Caroline along. What a snob! She would fluff her blonde hair around and put on airs. Caroline had spotted the Navy men in their distinguished blue uniforms. Caroline was using her charms and had already had a dance partner. Jane ran over to Charles. He was good looking and he adored Jane. Elizabeth went to get some punch and went and sat down. She had worn her new pretty powder blue dress with the white sash and bows. She was so glad that she finally had a new dress for the dance. Her new white boots were flashy as well.

The most handsome man she had ever seen was now dancing with Caroline. Figures she would find the most handsome man. She was making her way around the dance to the men. After the dance, the man came over to Elizabeth. Elizabeth was surprised. Did Caroline tell him to come visit her?

Darcy was his name. Dressed in a fancy brown suit with a ruffled shirt, he had blue piercing eyes and dark brown hair and could look into your soul.

"Hello. I am Darcy. That is my last name but my friends call me Darcy. I hear your sister Jane and my best friend Charles are good friends. I hear you are Elizabeth Bennett,"

Elizabeth sighed. She pulled out her fan and looked at him. "I am Elizabeth Bennett. I guess you have been talking to Caroline."

"I was talking and dancing with Caroline. Miss Bennett, may I have the honor of the next dance?"

"My dance card is all filled up, Sir. I need to get some air." Elizabeth got up and walked away.

Talk about a slap in the face. A Navy officer asked Elizabeth to dance. Elizabeth accepted. Darcy wondered what he had done wrong. Elizabeth danced with Navy officer and enjoyed dancing with him. After two dances, she thanked him and walked away.

She walked by Caroline who was talking to snobby women of the ton.

Caroline saw Elizabeth and said to her friends: "There goes plain Elizabeth. Oh look! She is wearing a new dress. Her family is like the poor relation. Lady Catherine owns her house and it wasn't for her, Elizabeth and her family would be in the Work House. My brother Charles insists on being with Elizabeth's sister Jane. She would bring our family down. Why do the Bennett girls get invited, I will never know. I asked Darcy to ask Elizabeth to dance and the plain woman turned down. The most handsome man in the world. She will never find a handsome man anywhere. Her and her sister Plain Jane!"

The other women were laughing along with Caroline.

Elizabeth was so embarrassed. She walked over to Darcy. He looked at her and smiled.

"How dare you, Sir ask me to dance because Caroline Bingley asked you to. I don't need pity."

"Miss Bennett, I really wanted to dance with you. Miss Bingley doesn't choose my dance partners. I am sorry you think that."

"You think are God's gift to women. I am not impressed." Elizabeth walked away. She wanted to go home. Leopold, a young nice looking kid in his early twenties asked her to dance. She was so desperate that she accepted. As they were dancing, there was Caroline and Darcy dancing. No doubt Caroline told him what she said and he could get a good laugh, too. Mr. Darcy didn't look pleased. She heard Darcy say to Caroline that she had no right to say bad things about Miss Bennett. He asked her to dance because he wanted to. He told Caroline that she was no lady and walked away. Elizabeth was touched. Maybe she had misjudged Mr. Darcy. She thanked Leopold for the dance. She walked away to talk to her sister Jane.

Caroline was talking to her friends again. She was telling them how Darcy said she was being mean to Miss Bennett and said she wasn't a lady. She said she hated the Bennett family and she would see to it that Charles never married a Bennett and she was going to marry Darcy. Elizabeth had, had enough. She bumped into Mr. Darcy.

"I am so sorry. Oh, it's you. I heard you talking to Miss Bingley and I misjudged you. Caroline is so mean." Elizabeth wiped a tear away. Darcy took a hold of Elizabeth's arm and they went outside.

"Caroline Bingley says mean things about my family. I don't like her. I thought she had you ask me to dance as a joke."

"I am not overly fond of Miss Bingley even though her brother is my best friend. I know she would like to marry me but I would never have someone like her for a wife. I am sincere. I want to be your friend. I still want a dance with you."

"Mr. Darcy, I accept."

Darcy and Elizabeth walked arm in arm into the Ball Room and danced. Caroline Bingley's mouth fell open. They danced a few more dances and walked over to Caroline.

"Hello, Caroline. We will never be friends but Mr. Darcy is my friend. Charles is nothing like you and he and Jane will be together. You have a nice night." Elizabeth and Darcy walked away.

"You handled that. You and I being friends will cramp her style."

"What a pity." Elizabeth smiled. Just then Mrs. Elsworth's two Irish Wolfhounds were running around. How they did get in? The Butler was chasing them. The dogs headed towards Caroline and knocked her down. They ruined her dress and bit her ankle. Caroline was screaming. The Butler got the wolfhounds and took them out of the room. Elizabeth petted them as they went by. She walked up to Caroline.

"Looks like you came here out of the Work House. Was your dress new? What a pity. It is destroyed. Maybe you should be more nicer to people." Elizabeth was loving this.

"Miss Bingley, maybe you should try to be nicer to people. I would never marry you. I never want to hear you say mean things about anyone again." Mr. Darcy walked away.

"You could help me up! Darcy, we have been best friends forever. Everyone expected us to marry."

Darcy and Elizabeth walked outside. Elizabeth was laughing. "This is so funny. Miss Bingley won't be holding her head in public for awhile."

"It is time someone took the wind out of her sails." Darcy laughed.

Elizabeth's mother was yelling for her daughters. It was time to leave. Darcy kissed Elizabeth's cheek. The romance of Elizabeth and Darcy had just begun. They did marry later on. Caroline Bingley? Maybe I will write a story for her someday.

** Image ID #1979577 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2023 Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox (UN: tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/808941