*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/809286-Victorian-Couple-At-A-Dance
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest Entry · #1973909
Stories and other items for Valentines Day, Victorian Romance and Jane Austen Writing.
#809286 added March 7, 2014 at 11:30am
Restrictions: None
Victorian Couple At A Dance
Prompt: Write about a couple who meet at a dance in Victorian Times.

Megan Ashby was all dressed in a powder blue, satin gown with pearls and it was a little low cut. She wore a pretty blue ribbon in her red hair and she had left it down. Her green eyes were full of mischief but she was tired of going to dances. Her parents wanted her to get married. She was eighteen years old. What was the hurry? She was at her friend Laura Downton's Season Ball. Laura had tonight to find a man. She was being forced to marry as well. All the rich single men of high society were here. Megan went to see Laura and hugged her.

"Oh, Megan, why does anyone have to get married? We have plenty of time. It is like our parents can't wait to get rid of us."

Megan agreed. Laura's parents dragged her away to meet some single men. Laura looked so defenseless and she was a pretty blonde. Megan was the most beautiful woman in the room but she didn't know it. Her parents were busy putting on airs. Lord Cyrus and Lady Gretchen Ashby. She loved her parents but being rich wasn't always fun. She had everything she wanted and she felt sorry for those who didn't. All the men watched Megan and she decided to sit down. She sat down in a red velvet chair. She would dance with someone later.

A handsome man with black hair wearing a blue suit came up to her. Megan had never seen a man so handsome.

"Hello. I am Jeremy Newton. I thought I would be the first man to ask you to dance." Jeremy hoped the beautiful woman would say Yes.

JEREMY NEWTON. THE RICHEST FAMILY IN LONDON. Megan and her family had been to the Newton's big fancy mansion out in the country. It was by a pond and had several stables and was by a wooded area. Megan had always loved the fancy huge mansion with the blue shutters and chimneys and French Chauteau style. Megan had always wished it was her house. Her parents had a pretty house in town but no house compared to the Newtons. Jeremy was away at college so that is why they had never met.

"I am Megan Ashby. I would love to dance with you." Megan held out her hand and Jeremy took it and they went out on the dance floor. They danced and Megan loved dancing with him. She decided that no one was going to dance with him. He was hers for the night. After a few dances, Jeremy and Megan went out on the terrace.

He bought her some punch and other women looked at him hoping that he would ask them to dance but the beautiful red head had his attention. What a pity.

Jeremy handed her the glass of punch. "I know your parents. I am sorry it took us so long to meet. I am surprised you aren't married, yet."

Megan blushed. She had, had five marriage proposals but two were ten years older then her, the one man was a widow and drank too much, another man just wanted her family's money and the last man was very nice but she didn't love him. Her father thought that he was a coward. Her father didn't like the other four but he told her she needed to find someone and it had better be at one of the next three dances or she would be forced to have her season in a few months.

"I haven't found the right gentleman, yet."

"I am glad. I would like to have a few more dances with you. I would like to have lunch with you tomorrow if you have no other plans."

"I would like that." Megan knew one thing. She wanted Jeremy. He was handsome. Maybe it was his house in the country but she knew that she could love Jeremy. People in the ton didn't marry for love. Her parents weren't in love but they had a binding friendship. Megan would be happy with that.

Jeremy and Megan danced to a few more dances and they went back outside. It wasn't appropriate but Jeremy kissed Megan. She didn't object.

"I am so sorry. I don't behave like this but I feel something for you. I want to be the one man for you. Megan, will you marry me?"

Megan was surprised. They had just met but she wanted him. "Yes, I will marry you. You will have to talk to my father."

"I will. I promise we will be in love and we will be happy."

"I know." Megan grabbed Jeremy's face and kissed him. Love was already starting.

Jeremy asked Lord Ashby for Megan's hand and he agreed. He knew his daughter was marrying the richest man in London. He liked Jeremy's family and he wouldn't have to force Megan to marry someone else now. This was perfect.

Megan and Jeremy did fall in love. They lived at his family's fancy mansion. They were happy.

** Image ID #1979577 Unavailable **
** Image ID #1978674 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2014 Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox (UN: tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/809286-Victorian-Couple-At-A-Dance