*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/809931
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1955446
A young man learns to lead his friends and survivors in a world of the Undead (Draft)
#809931 added March 13, 2014 at 2:18am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 66: Nick - Blood Debt
“Just do it.” He thought to himself. “Just shoot him in the back now.” Nick glanced forward at Andrew as he lead the group towards Nick’s own cabin. “You’d have to be quick, probably cap Brandon too and then hold Ivan at gunpoint til he calms down, but you could easily do it.” Nick’s hand twitched over the holster of his gun as his mind ran wild and considered all his options. “It’d be too easy. Just do it. Get it over with. Everyone will think you’re a hero. He’s dangerous anyway.” Andrew led the group onto a bush and signaled for everyone to kneel down and stay quiet. Nick did as he was told and wiped sweat off his forehead. “He’ll kill you in your sleep if you don’t. He thinks you’re a threat.” Nick slowly drew the gun from it’s holster, taking his time so as not to alert anybody. “Kill him.”

Nick began to raise his gun, but as he did a hand reached out and made him lower it. “Didn’t you just hear Andrew?” Monica’s voice rang in his ear. Nick snapped out of it, and looked around. Everyone was staring at him, confused.

“No… I… I wasn’t paying attention.” He said.

“We’ve just gotta keep it down, for now. There’s a huge horde outside your cabin. But they don’t seem to know anyone’s inside, and they don’t seem to know we’re over here.” Andrew explained.

“Well, what do you think we should do?” Nick asked.

“I’m not sure yet.”

“Oh, well thanks then f***ing genius.”

“Would you chill out for two f***ing seconds, we can argue later, right now we’re trying to save your groups lives.” Andrew harshly snapped back at Nick.

“They don’t need a murderer to save their lives.”

“I’m not a murderer now, but I may be in a couple seconds.”

“Andrew, stop.” Anna said, putting her hand on Andrew’s shoulder and slightly tugging him back. He glared at Nick, but relented and went back to surveying the scene.

“So, do you think we can just-“ Monica began to say when a gunshot rang out from the Cabin. The group looked up to see a young boy looking out a window, appearing to hold a gun. He fired several more times as screams emanated from the Cabin. The Undead became restless and started making their way towards the building.

Logan. It was Logan firing at the crowd. Nick could see him in the window. He was always a pretty restless kid, Nick thought to himself, but he never expected him to do something so stupid. “Logan!” He shouted impulsively, “Stop what you’re doing!” The undead became more restless as Nick screamed, with some now making their way towards the survivors hiding in the bushes.

“Oh god damn…Come on!” Andrew shouted, darting out of the bush. The rest of the group, guns blazing, followed suit too face the horde. “Brandon, we’re going for the backdoor, we’re getting them out. Everyone else cut your way through the horde, get to the front door. If those walkers get through the door, we’ll lose everyone inside.”

“I’m coming with you.” Nick demanded.

“No. They need your help getting through the horde. We don’t need help busting down an old wooden door.”

“I don’t take orders from you!”

“You do for now!”

“No!”

“Do you want your group to die? Is that what you want? You f***ing tell me if that’s what you want!” Andrew shouted at Nick over the hail of gunfire. “Because if that’s what you want I’ll f***ing grant it. I’ll walk away and take my people, the ones that will follow, with me. You’ve f***ed my life up too much these past two days. I’ll leave you here to die with your group if that’s what you want.” Nick clenched his fists and felt blood rushing through his body. He couldn’t control himself, and could feel his body shaking with the desire to just sock Andrew in the face, too kill him. He was done with this kid, absolutely done. But as Andrew screamed at him, Nick saw a shape behind him, hobbling forward, arms outstretched, teeth t the ready. “Everything I’ve done, I’ve done for this camp, not for myself!” Andrew shouted, but Nick was no longer paying attention. Brandon was already behind the cabin, everyone else was facing the horde trying to survive, Andrew had his back turned, but Nick saw it. A Walker. The Walker that was shambling towards Andrew. The one that was going to get him. It inched closer and closer, every step feeling like it took an hour. Nick was completely frozen. He wanted Andrew to die, but a small part of him, the part of him that used to be Andrew’s friend, wanted to jump in and prevent it. Nick couldn’t do anything, he could only watch as the Walker inched close and closer and closer… and closer

and closer

and closer

BANG
© Copyright 2014 BreakingDead (UN: breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BreakingDead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/809931