*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/810706-Living-the-Good-Life-andor-the-American-Dream
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #1976943
Writings about death, relationships, feelings, and time
#810706 added March 20, 2014 at 8:51am
Restrictions: None
Living the Good Life and/or the American Dream
Sitting here thinking about the good life and/or the American dream, and wondering what this means to others.

Here is what it means to me -- an unachievable expectation!  At least in the way we have been taught.

The good life and/or the American dream for most mean that you are going to achieve everything you want.  You are going to get married to the perfect mate; buy the perfect house; live in the perfect neighborhood; have the perfect children; have money in the bank (or stock market); have the most successful career; travel the world; mix and mingle with the best; and even your s_ _ t don't stink. 

No wonder so many of us are so unhappy and still chasing rainbows.

No wonder so many of us are working two, three and four jobs just to make ends meet.

No wonder so many of us are seeing counselors and anyone else that might give us an edge.

I am stopping by to tell you that there is a good life that can be lived in America and abroad.

Here's what it consist of, at least from my point of few.

First accept that everything is NOT for everybody.  What is for you is for you and NO ONE can take it from you.  God knows your needs and will supply them abundantly.

Second, reorganize your values and your self-worth.  Instead of you first, God second, and other last, consider God first, others second, and self last!  How we think determines how we will operate and respond to actions in our lives.

Third, be the first to offer help, you will be surprised at how many others will join you, and remember, many hands make light work.  Rarely will there not be an opportunity to help.  All of us at some point in our lives need help, and when it comes we should know how to receive it, and not take advantage of it.

Four, do not rush to judgment of others or yourself.  None of us are perfect.  We are all wrapped in sin and shaped in iniquity.  No one sin is any worse than the next even though we try to classify them.  That little white lie is just as bad and does just as much harm as that big fat lie.

Five, do your best in every endeavor, not just what will get you by or what others think.  If you have been given five talents (skills) use them all in overdrive.  That is why they were given.  If you have been given only one skill, maximize it.  Combine it with someone else's, but no matter what use it, and use it to the glory of God.  He is the giver.

Six, be lenient, be merciful.  None is perfect.  We all have imperfections and make mistakes.  FORGIVE and forgive again and again and again.  Sometimes it take longer for others to get the message that is being taught.  You know that!  Look how long God has been working with you.

Finally, know that the good life is the life you have, and you and you alone determine how good it is.  Television, the movies,the movie stars, nor Hollywood sets the standards for your life.  In fact being a democrat, republican, independent, tea party, or other makes you who you are.  They are simply labels that we use to hide behind.  There is no such thing as being politically correct.  Either you are correct or you are wrong.  Let's not split hairs.  Treat everyone the WAY YOU WISH TO BE TREATED, and I guarantee that you will be correct.

Remember even in the good life and/or the American dream no one has control over their destinies but God.  Let Him use you to his glory, and you will be living the good life EVEN in America!

Have a wonderful day, and may it be filled with the good life (even if there are a few thorns, pits, or seeds).

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 G. B. Williams (UN: mgmiles01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
G. B. Williams has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/810706-Living-the-Good-Life-andor-the-American-Dream