*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/812730-Spring-Arc
by Nixie
Rated: E · Book · Nature · #1984123
A prompt contest
#812730 added May 19, 2014 at 11:26pm
Restrictions: None
Spring Arc
Do a character sketch, short story, or poem on a fantasy creature born for spring.

**

"Kayla, what if our input was wrong?" Patrick paced the final staging area in the hallowed out cave. “Whatever this is, it was probably buried for a reason. We could be in some serious dren."

"Gloom and doom. Your same old tune. You read the same tome we found when the earth shifted."

"We should have left it buried in the rubble."

"The words directed us here." Kayla patted the dull metallic object, eyeing its length. At least the size of thirty humans laying head to toe. "So, the instructions were gone, and we figured it out on the fly. Did you notice the box labeled 'Research Unit Sekta?'" Kayla pointed upward with her chin. "It's no longer dormant."

Patrick looked up at the now hovering device. "It's dangerous."

"Calm yourself because your whining is annoying me. We're humanity's last hope. Toughen up."

"I'm twelve. I'm allowed to whine."

"Quiet. Do you hear that?"

"You can't boss me around because you're the last girl. And no, I don't hear anything."

Kayla winked at Patrick. "No more whirring from the object." She walked over to the hinged end. "Time to—"

"Kayla, no!" Patrick yelled as the whoosh of the opening glass chamber deafened him. Swirls of rainbow-hued vapors swirled around Kayla, obscuring her. Afraid to stay in one place and afraid to move, Patrick inched his way to the outer rim of the commotion. "Kayla?"

As the air cleared, Kayla came back into view. "Uh, we might have a problem." She stood back and let Patrick have a look.

"What is that?"

"Don't know. Hurry and get the input device so we can review the data."

Patrick's feet refused to move. "Kayla, it's coming around the other side of you."

Kayla squealed as something long and slim began winding around her waist. She spun ballerina-like away from the threatening grip. "Go, Patrick," she said, backing farther away from the form.

Patrick took off at top speed, sprinted back and skidded to a stop. He shoved the data pad under Kayla's nose.

She narrowed her eyes while scrutinizing the information. "Capable of sustaining and creating life. Able to withstand and scour caustic atmosphere. Nothing wrong there. Wait, what's this squiggly stuff and these odd shapes?"

"After I entered our basic requirements, those odd symbols appeared on the screen. I pressed all of them."

"Odd symbols. You've never seen. And you pressed them?"

"They appeared as correlating data. The contraption must have intuited our needs."

"Patrick, you're making sense, which makes me freaky. Any idea what this is?"

"Unstable," Patrick said, grabbing Kayla's arm and yanking her away from the maelstrom. When the energy blasts subsided and the room silenced, the two waited, standing hand in hand. The mist cleared.

"I was Ivy, but sensed panic when my limbs extended to greet you. Now, I am Evergreen."

Kayla found her voice first. "You speak without a mouth?"

The majestic creature shifted, creating a breeze. "I understand. An unenlightened humanoid left over after destruction. I don't need a mouth to speak. You fear me?"

Kayla's eyes widened in innocent wonder. "No." Placing one hand on the form, she tipped her head to admire the height. "You're gorgeous." The smile tugging at her muscles was unfamiliar and painful. Her entire life consisted of darkness and danger. A tear trickled down her face.

The creators stepped back in awe.

"Are you able to maintain your form?" Kayla asked.

"I have a sense of rebirth within. I change, yes. Is change fearful?”

"Change is our only hope," Patrick muttered.

Kayla kept an eye on the creation. "Research Unit Sekta. Can you assist?"

"State request."

"Told you, Patrick. Harmless." Kayla swallowed her apprehension. "Identify newly created entity."

"Searching data base from All Time. Entity is similar to Failed Earth 'tree.' Reconstructed from Spring Arc."

"A tree?" Patrick cast a doubtful look at Kayla.

“Sekta, explain Spring Arc." Kayla's breathing quickened and she squeezed Patrick's arm while they waited for the response.

“Constructed 3500 years ago, the vessel contains templates for a vast variety of living creatures.”

"Kayla? Patrick?"

The duo startled when the plant spoke again.

"Spring Arc is also alive."

"Kayla, is it possible—"

"Yes, Patrick. The Spring Arc can reconstruct earth."

"But earth failed."

Evergreen spoke. "Spring Arc has given superior power to earth's natural creations, depriving humans of the capability to waste earth ever again."

w/c 733
© Copyright 2014 Nixie (UN: nixie9 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Nixie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/812730-Spring-Arc