*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/813575-Rascals---Day-10Short-Story
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1984607
3rd Place - Contest entries - 10 writes/10 days
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#813575 added April 12, 2014 at 7:26pm
Restrictions: None
"Rascals" - Day 10/Short Story
Rascals

"... and that is how the pretty pink pixie found her new home," Jerod finished. "The end. Now, it's time for good little pixies like you," he touched her nose, "to go to off to dreamland."

Rachel giggled. "Daddy, are pixies real?"

"I don't really know. I've never seen one but that doesn't mean they're not real. There might be a lot of things we don't see - but they're not going to bother you, I promise," he smiled.

"I hope they are," she said, a yawn in her voice.

"I hope so too," he said, tucking her in and turning off the light. "Mommy and I are going out for a while but Sissy is here if you need anything."

"Good night, Daddy."

Jerod walked down the hall to the master bedroom. "She's all tucked away."

"OK sweetie. Now, get dressed. The movie starts in an hour."

"Oh for Pete's sake!"

Jennifer looked up from the jewelry box she was searching through. She watched in the mirror as Jerod pulled clothing out of a drawer and threw them on the bed.

"What are you doing? You're destroying all my hard work," she said, exasperation coloring her voice. "I just folded those and put them away this morning."

"I can't find my sock! How do you lose one sock?"

"I'm sure it's right in front of you. I swear, if I ever want to hide anything from you, I'll leave it out in plain sight!" With a sigh, she walked over the dresser pushing him aside. "Let me see the sock you have."

Jerod held up a black sock with a black on black diamond pattern.

Reaching into the drawer, Jennifer produced the mate.

"That wasn't here a minute ago," Jerod protested.

"No, I'm sure it wasn't. The sock monster is playing tricks on you again," she laughed, handing it to him and returning to her dressing table. She stood staring into her jewelry case. "I just saw that earring," she muttered to herself.

She heard Jerod let out a laugh and, looking up, stared at him. "Did you say something?" she queried.

"No, sweetie. Not me," he said, pretending to zip his lips. "Do you need some help?"

She continued to stare but raised one eyebrow. Jerod knew that look and quickly returned to getting dressed.

Peeking out from under the corner of the bed ruffle, the shadowed form of the Hosengeist stifled a laugh. Turning, it saw the dust bunny approaching with a shiny circle held in its mouth. Oh, this is going to be a fun day, it thought, its grin glowing in the darkness.


Divider line


Day 10 entry for "Invalid Item
Prompt: Fantasy
Word Count: 438
© Copyright 2014 πŸŒ• HuntersMoon (UN: huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸŒ• HuntersMoon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/813575-Rascals---Day-10Short-Story