*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/815327-My-Treasures
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#815327 added April 29, 2014 at 6:25pm
Restrictions: None
My Treasures
What treasures do you display?

It depends on the season. From March 1 or so-October, there isn't much on display but my Hutch. China, Waterford glassware, assorted glass (probably not valuable) glass dishware and my knife rests.

On the walls are my joy. I have a collection of Charles Peterson Nostalgia prints. I love them. They show a scene with the past activities and people as ghost like images overlaid on the picture.  They are so beautiful and depict a time long ago.  See my port for the Contest entry called THE ARTIST.

My husband has a collection of Terrence Fogerty sports (MN/Hockey) prints, some I have in my Office at work because my boss is a Huge MN Hockey aficionado. He was from Staples, MN and played in the first High School Hockey Tournament.

The center piece is a Thomas Kincaid painting (Artists studio proof and highlighted by TK) of Split Rock Lighthouse on Lake Superior. ( If you know anyone that would value it, I'd sell it.)

When I decorate for Christmas, out come all the garland for every window and stair rail (if there is one) There are picks and bows for each garland to match the theme for that year. The Family tree is filled with momentos that are the kids ornaments. Well, they would be if they wanted them, but they like them on this tree.
Stuffed Fivel, Sabastion, Bernard and Bianca, from the Rescuers and a Burt and Ernie. There are number of Cola bears, and Starbucks ornaments. The rest are yearly ornaments from Hallmark or ones from the Twins, Hershey's, MN Gophers, and Vikings.

If I were in a driven mood I'd set up my Dept 56 Dickens Village. We have a 4'x9' sheet of plywood with cutouts for cords. On top of that goes a special made Styrofoam cutout city landscape. Holes and numbers are there where to put the 23 different houses. PW cut the holes for each house and hot cut the streets, rocks and cliffs. I painted it all.

Then the hundreds of people, carts, horse and carts, skating rink and lights are put into scenes. Once all the vignettes are arranged, it snows!  PW will scoop out cupfulls of Baking Soda into a sieve and shake it over the entire 4x9 village. When he thinks he has enough (at least 6-8 pounds of "snow") I take a small sponge paint brush and "clean" the streets, brushing the snow into piles along the edge of my streets. On top of that, PW lightly sprinkles iridescent snow or glitter. When the lights are out and just the village lights are on, the streets, houses and people are illuminated and you almost hear the sounds of the village.  We have Christmas music on almost all the time.
When you go through that much trouble it doesn't come down until March! 

Here is a small set up (since I've begun to downsize my decorating) on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/tina.b.weaver/media_set?set=a.2446125276802.2108382.136...


© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/815327-My-Treasures