*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/820563-This-ones-about-the-Sunday-Review-and-banned-words
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1939270
A third attempt at this blogging business.
#820563 added June 22, 2014 at 11:11pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the Sunday Review and banned words.
30DBC PROMPT: "Reflections , courtesy of 💙 Carly ; "Invalid Entry, courtesy of Charlie ~ ; and "Re: June 11th prompt."  , courtesy of 30DBC Creator/Founder .

Good evening people, and what is up? It's Sunday, and our man Earl didn't get around to putting up a prompt today...good thing we got word from him back on 6/14 to remind us all that in case there's no prompt after a reasonable amount of time, it's ok to go with the Brother Nature -endorsed "Open Mic" prompt (meaning: do what you like). No complaining that there's no prompt! Personally, I wasn't waiting for a prompt or for someone to take some initiative...I'm just hella lazy.

Since both Carly and Charlie had entries in before I finally decided to give up on Candy Crush (seriously, evil level 347??) and Song Pop for the evening, I'm gonna "follow" their entries via the long running, non-official "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS standard approach.

Carly went with a theme of "reflections", which in essence is what the "Sunday Review" is (minus your favorite blog entry from your fellow challengers' submissions). I've had a fairly average week, which I'll gladly take over drama, aggravation, and other random nonsense. I started back up at work, where they're counting on me to be a "regular", which I'm hoping is a good thing. I also learned that I'm somehow taxing my ankle too much during rehab, which could have serious complications if I'm not careful in the coming weeks. And by serious, in my doctor's mind, I mean "I can't do nothin' for ya, man". Sweet...so I'm like one eye patch, a parrot, and a peg-leg short of being a pirate? Super. *Rolleyes*

Charlie's entry...interesting as always, and he actually went looking for a legit prompt of some sort to use. Good on him, because I think I kinda dislike open prompts more than trying to think up a prompt of my own to include. Charlie's been on a bit of a kick lately where his entries are influenced a little by surveys and quizzes one can easily find on the internet. There's nothing wrong with that; it's a sweet little niche and I'm glad someone's thought to include something like that because not only does it up the "interesting" factor, but then everyone else wants to take the quiz and compare notes.

I lied though...there is something wrong with quizzes and surveys (but through no fault of Charlie's). I'm Facebook friends with this girl who's always posting these Buzzfeed quizzes (which, again, I have no problem with), but I'm about to hide her from my newsfeed because she never, ever posts her results. I don't care enough to ask her why she's like that, but I care enough that it's somewhat annoying. Like, I wanna know what houseplant you should be, because I got hyacinth and if you're of a similar leafy, colorful variety then that would be cool, even though we haven't actually spoken about anything in person in like 25 years. And if you're so ashamed that the result isn't what you were hoping for, then why even bother posting the link to the quiz in the first place? I judge you more for that than I would for who you actually got in the "What 80's hair metal singer are you?" quiz.

But I'm carrying on about nothing really relevant to Charlie's entry...where he posited "If you could permanently ban a word from general usage, what would it be? Why?" I like this prompt, because it's one of those rare ones where you could ask me it thirty days in a row and I could probably come up with thirty different words. Except today, because it was actually asked of me.

So what I'm gonna do is go out on a limb and say that there is a particular group of words that I want banned, but only in a certain situation. I'm against the usage of overly-scientific terms for sexual organs when spoken in casual conversation. Penis, vagina, and anything else of significantly higher intellect shouldn't be said between two people who are remotely familiar to each other, because it takes what could potentially be an awkward conversation and turns the knob past potential to full-blown weird when you're chatting someone up and they want to confide in you but they're fumbling for the appropriate word even though you know what they're about to get into. Example: two guys are sitting at a bar, and they each know that they've both been with the same woman recently- one with a bit of a reputation *Wink* *Wink*. One guy turns to the other and says, "So, uhhh, I got this thing on my thing...", and trust me, 98.7% of all guys in that situation will instantly know what you mean and feel comfortable talking about it, rather than have to hear his boy trippin' over his lips out of fear that he might have the herpolie-erps. We're not doctors or scientists or robots; we're regular humans. It's ok to spice up the vocab once in awhile, especially when it's a situation that will eventually require some levity anyway.

Why do we tend to make things out to be more complicated than they really are? Is it because there's this need to sound "more intelligent"? I'm not impressed or intimidated by the stammering-for-proper-nouns-and-verbs technique. Maybe because while I may not show it outwardly, stuttering puts me off a little bit (and I know it shouldn't, because sometimes it can't be helped, but sometimes neither can I). Just own the words you're gonna say and the sentiments behind them, especially if you're about to say something mind-blowing or life-changing. Balls > testicles. Boobs > breasts. And so on and so forth. Save the terminology for the professionals...they spent a lot of money to go to school for a really long time to earn the right to charge you lots of money for the privilege of saying things like "mammary glands" and "vas deferens". Let them have that joy.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

I'm totally ok with the idea of "open prompts" if there isn't one in place, but I think there should be a designated, agreed-upon time to go by. Noon? 3pm? 6pm? Taking into account that we're all over the world and we're all on different schedules as far as how we prefer to do certain things, I think this would clear up any last remnants of confusion regarding the day's "leader" not having a prompt/entry ready. But until we can reach a proper resolution...



THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

*Blush* Well, I never thought this day would come, but I think that it's kinda funny that Lyn's a sly fox mentioned orgasms in the comments section of yesterday's entry- a subject I just never really imagined I'd ever broach in a blog-like setting- and today during my internet travels I came across Buzzfeed's Arousing Facts About Masturbation  , for both men and women. And they're in video form, with each one (there's two) clocking in under two minutes. Who said Sundays needed to be celibate? *Smirk*

*Cakep* This might be the most hilarious thing I've seen on the internet in quite some time. Apparently, an Australian radio station's website posted a link to a cake-baking website that featured a very cool looking, intricate rainbow cake. It had a number (presumably the recipient's age) baked inside, with a rainbow-colored fondant topping-thingy. And like every other article on the internet that allows people to make comments, things got really stupid, very quickly  . I love that the person writing the article is basically giving us a commentary of the original posting's comments...if the internet has provided us with anything of relevance in its brief but storied existence, the ability to be misread, poorly interpreted, and trolled to epic proportions is Nobel Prize worthy. 'MURICA!!

*Gifto* Tomorrow's the big day!! (See "Note: So, I have this blog, right? It's called [Lin...") I started this entry right at 9,999 views, so tomorrow evening when I get home I'll start rolling the virtual dice and picking some winners! Thank you for all of the snide and sarcastic comments support, and good luck!

Well, I'm off to finish procrastinating over everything else I had planned for today, and seeing as how I've gotta get up early tomorrow morning I should really get a start on the endless debate of what things I should do tonight and what I can let slide until the morning, depending on what time I need to get up (which itself is reliant on what I feel like taking on before I try to get some sleep in a little bit). I really need to get over this laziness thing if I'm ever gonna amount to anything, but that's neither here nor there. Peace, just grab him in the biscuits, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/820563-This-ones-about-the-Sunday-Review-and-banned-words