*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822510-This-ones-about-the-weekly-full-frontal-assault
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1939270
A third attempt at this blogging business.
#822510 added July 13, 2014 at 5:33pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the weekly full frontal assault.
30DBC PROMPT: "Provide your thoughts/opinions on a newspaper/magazine article or a radio/television news story from the past week. And if you feel inclined, let loose and blog about your week. Also, feel free to comment on your favorite blog entries from your fellow challengers from the preceding week."

Awesome that this kind of prompt is regaining some traction. I think it's so much better than the typical Sunday Review we're so used to. But first, a playlist courtesy of iTunes, if you will...

Jaw, Knee, Music   by NoFX
Dime, Quarter, Nickel, Penny   by Nappy Roots
Mary Jane's Last Dance   by Tom Petty
I'm Not OK (I Promise)   by My Chemical Romance
Operator   by Jim Croce
Counting 5-4-3-2-1   by Thursday
Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye   by Leonard Cohen
Revisiting The Styleetron   by Felt

Now then...what's in the news this week?

I'm always down for the protesting of a protest  . It's not often I side with giant corporations or big companies, but in this case I'll be more than happy to make an exception.

Hockey doesn't lend itself easily to much besides the on-ice action. I applaud teams that are willing to enhance the in-game experience. Cheerleaders are very much a part of sport, even down at the pee-wee level. What's the big deal if a professional hockey team employs them?

From a fan's perspective, I understand the backlash to an extent...the team in question didn't make many changes from a star-studded roster that couldn't live up to expectations during the playoffs. But hating on a franchise for something like this is absurd...you should be pissed that your team doesn't compete when it matters most, and frankly, y'all in southern California need to be thankful that you have some hockey teams to begin with. I don't see Canada bitchin' about "We're not like Los Angeles". Get over yourselves, San Jose!

And the cries of sexism? Child, please. Women all across the country die for the opportunity to represent their hometown teams. They understand that they're going to be exploited to a certain extent. Part of the gig entails dealing with meatheads who want to do nothing more than drink beer and ogle at eye candy during sporting events. If you don't want to be looked at and admired, become a secretary. Don't sign up for the cheerleading team. I actually feel worse for the men on the Sharks squad who have to deal with the insults from an unforgiving public that think cheerleading is a "girls activity". Y'all don't know what kind of shape you have to be in or the dedication it takes to be considered for the cheerleading team.

So bravo to the San Jose Sharks for staying the course on their new endeavor, even if I'm really indifferent to them as a hockey fan in general. Y'all may not have history on your side as far as the NHL goes, but you're doing the right thing.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

"K-I-C-K-A-S-S...that's the way we spell success!"


"When you blow out like a dead star
it reminds me how uniform your beautiful is."
Lyrics.  


THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

*Vinyly* Because "Barrel O' Monkeys" is happening soon, as an original Soundtracker I'm more than proud to share, courtesy of lizco252, this image:

Barrel Of Monkeys


*Documentbl* I suppose I should also share my favorite blog entry of the week. It's hard because during the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS you're never really thinking about that kinda stuff. I know I don't put these words down with the explicit thought of being anyone's "favorite", but I can't speak for the group. Wanna know what I liked? Pick an entry by Noyoki . She brings a tight game to the party, and she's my new favorite blogger. Catch yourself more at "Invalid Item.

Well, it's Sunday and I'm sure you people have better things to be doin' with what's left of your weekend, so I'mma let you be. Peace, the better happier you, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822510-This-ones-about-the-weekly-full-frontal-assault