*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823189-Boat-Kids
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#823189 added July 21, 2014 at 12:19pm
Restrictions: None
Boat Kids
boat kids
I was a boat kid growing up. My father introduced us to the world of boating from a very early age and it seemed we always had one boat or another - boats which progressed in size and capability through the years. Our summer weekends were peppered with boat trips and excursions. On the rare occasion, we would sometimes meet up with other families and tie up, bow to stern, rafting together out at Block Island or Montauk. As boat kids we quickly learned how to maneuver across the decks of conjoined boats and the world became smaller and wetter, graced with more sun, fun and freedom than we ever thought possible. The fireworks displays viewed from the deck of the boat were unrivaled in their brilliance and the nights spent slumbered in the cabin of a once-upon-a-time, old cabin cruiser were uncomfortable but unparalleled in our childhood memories.

This past weekend, my daughter got a chance to experience some of this rare fun herself on a boat trip out to Three Mile Harbor. While my Dad's current boat is more luxurious and comfortable than anything I remembered from my younger days, the rest of the weekend was a fabulous flashback for me and a wondrous new experience for Jaden. I was so delighted watching her open up with the other kids - wanting to be on whatever boat they happened to be on at the time. She easily took to life on the boat, waking up with a smile, snagging her breakfast, donning her life jacket and taking off to be with her new friends. In the course of the weekend, she spent only the nights on the boat with us and the rest of the time, in the pack of kids fishing, playing and just hanging out.

When we were joined by the big three story cabin cruiser the night of the fireworks, she was soon hanging out on the top deck, the youngest in a group of kids there, feeling like a big girl and coming out of her shell in a beautiful way. The first night, watching her catch snapper blues in the lights of the boats, was a real treat. The other kids and adults taught her how to hold her rod, bouncing the lure in the glow until she caught her first fish. Later when she cut her foot on some barnacles off the swim platform, the kids came to the rescue with bandaids and lollipops, shoulder to shoulder with me in the cabin trying to stem her tears and make her smile. On firework night, the families huddled together with their glow sticks and red drink cups and the skies lit up with the fantastic display that seemed closer and more intensely beautiful than any I remembered. The colors and exhilaration clearly reflected in the upturned faces of children and adults alike. The mornings were stunningly peaceful and Jaden always woke up with a smile. The second and last morning in the harbor, she woke up early and stumbled out to join Grampa on the stern, plopping down aside of him for a few minutes before jumping into bed to cuddle with Joy in the berth. This was a kid loving the time and attention, loving her family and completely comfortable in her element. Watching her, I knew she was creating powerful and treasured memories all her own.

Boat kids are special. In my experience, they are tolerant, welcoming and eager to share and teach. Boat kids look out for each other and boating parents treasure the time with their families and become surrogates for whatever group of children end up hanging out in their sterns. It is a unique and wonderful world and I'm very touched and thrilled that my daughter got to experience it for herself. I see she is quickly becoming a boat kid, courtesy of her Grampa Art and Joy - enjoying her time on the water in whatever form it takes.

© Copyright 2014 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823189-Boat-Kids