*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828003-This-ones-about-that-hobby-listicle
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2002599
My fourth blog. Amazing yet disconcerting. Don't worry; this'll go away in a year or so.
#828003 added September 13, 2014 at 4:11pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about that hobby listicle.
BLOG CITY PROMPT: "Tell me about your favorite hobbies. Why do you do them? Could you teach someone else how to do them?"

'Sup y'all? I lost track of time yesterday...had an afternoon meeting I forgot about and it kinda wrecked my timing the rest of the day. That, along with concentration, motivation, and procrastination issues, made for an evening I wish I could say I napped through I'd like to have back. Anyway, here's my list entry for 9/12...and later on I'll have a full entry for 9/13.

Blog City image small


I suppose I could knock this out in a hurry and say "Duh, I've got this writing hobby!" like damn near everyone else who belongs to WDC..but you know me; I can't abide by the same ol' thangs everyone else is coppin' to. And that's what's makin' this entry hard...because I don't know that I have any other hobbies besides writing or screwin' around with the help of the internet.

I don't watch TV religiously or have pets or care about most things passionately. I did manage to join a club at school- The Writer's Guild (hence me attending a meeting yesterday that I forgot about, which pushed my afternoon into the battle with the forces of evil that it became). I do some leisure reading on the bus to and from school, but rarely do I read anything that isn't on an electronic device anywhere else. I wish I could say that I still played some sort of organized team sport, but my body has finally begun to betray me after years of reckless abuse.

I'm a fun person wrapped up in a thick, triple-dipped boring shell.

Some people can set the stage, and some people are content with watching. But others just need to be in the right situation to do their best work, and that's where I fit in. I'm the guy who sometimes needs a push before he's capable of jumping in on his own...but once I get there, I'm fine. It takes me a lot to get comfortable, but eventually the atmosphere wears like a second skin.

The only other problem I have with hobbies is that once I get into something, I'm all-in. I devote myself to knowing and experiencing everything about it. I want to be the best at it. I'm great at making a full-time job out of something that's supposed to be a fun deviation from a full-time job. And then in a few weeks or so I'm burned out, and I never want to think about it again...so I go back to being virtually hobby-less (besides writing). It's like the circle trapezoid of life.

And I figure a lot of it boils down to motivation. Take today, for example...I slept in, getting out of bed almost three hours later than I normally do during the week. Still feeling sluggish, I drank one of my Mountain Dew Kickstarts that I'd normally reserve for the mornings I fear falling asleep in class the most. And all I wanna do this afternoon is take a nap, because learning how to code a website isn't coming to me as easily as I wish it would and I'm dreading having to reread the stuff I've been looking at the last two weeks...it's just not clicking with me, and I know as soon as I crack my textbook I'll be on the first train to La-La-Land, and if that's the case then why not get a head start?

It's frightening that after a few weeks back into the ol' college try, that last paragraph almost feels like the subject I'm most confident in is the science of napology. Maybe I should've majored in that, with an undergrad minor in eating until you can no longer think functionally or critically and need to take a nap. I think that's called "Self-induced Food Coma 101", and it meets Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays after my first class in the cafeteria, with lab period to follow in the upstairs hallways on the couches near the computer design labs. Thinking about it is making me question my ability to stay awake for the duration of writing the rest of this entry.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Not to get all political or preachy on ya, but since we're talkin' about hobbies, why not let someone who has made stellar use of one of his hobbies sing a song about people who, for lack of a better way of saying it, should really find a hobby in a place that promotes the undertaking of hobbies instead of promoting a stealthy religious agenda?


"The court I fear has ventured into a minefield;
Slut-shaming geezers and religious extremism."
Story and lyrics.  


THE LISTICLE 9.12

Banner in oranges and blues for THE LIST Blog City Contest


In conjunction with "BLOG CITY presents: The LIST, I present to you this list of 14 songs that may imply or necessitate the importance of having a hobby.

1) "18 and Life" by Skid Row
2) "Pickin' Boogers" by Biz Markie
3) "Why Don't You Get A Job?" by The Offspring
4) "Bored" by Deftones
5) "Standing On The Corner" by Dean Martin
6) "Get Off Your Ass" by KRS-One
7) "She's In It For The Money" by Matthew Good
8) "I Wanna Get High" by Cypress Hill
9) "Eat Y'self Fitter" by The Fall
10) "She Watch Channel Zero" by Public Enemy
11) "Ask The Lonely" by The Four Tops
12) "Tired Of Sex" by Weezer
13) "Tomorrow I'll Be You" by Thursday
14) "Too Much Time On My Hands" by Styx

I trust that you all know how to use YouTube if you're interested enough in any of these songs.

And that's as good a place as any to pause for a smack of some sort right now, and maybe take a nap before I decide to tackle the rest of today's prompts. Peace, not propelled by government, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828003-This-ones-about-that-hobby-listicle