*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/829948-This-ones-about-not-trying-to-break-your-heart
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2002599
My fourth blog. Amazing yet disconcerting. Don't worry; this'll go away in a year or so.
#829948 added October 4, 2014 at 12:09pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about not trying to break your heart.
BCF PROMPT: "Talk about a song, book, or movie that you didn't like at first, but love now."

Good morning y'all! Lots to talk about today, so let's jump right in.

Are you familiar with the Violent Femmes? I'm not, mainly because I can't stand the singer's voice. It's too annoying for my liking. But it seemed like every woman growing up in the mid-'90's had an affectation for "Blister In The Sun"   like it was some sort of rite of passage into adulthood. It's very mildly irritating, this song. Is it punk? Is it folk-rock? What is it? Does it even know what it wants to be?

But I'll tell you what...put a few beers in me and I'll dance to it like it's the only song I know. And "dancing" is a term loosely used because in my vocabulary whatever it is I do isn't in the standard definition...it's kind of a pseudo-mosh, which I suppose is fitting for a pseudo-punk song. Like, "I'm just gonna jump up and down spasticly and if I bump into you it's ok, because Violent Femmes, or something...just don't screwface me or spill my drink." Because after a some drinks, this is the best song ev-arrrrh.

And that so wasn't the lead-in for today's entry that I was hoping for.

BLOG CITY PROMPT:

Blog City image small


*Leaf2o* "What smells do you connect with autumn? Write a story, a poem or blog to your heart's content about what fall aroma tickles your fancy."

I have to admit that I don't smell very well. Like, sniffing; not me personally. It generally means if something doesn't smell right, I'm usually the last to pick up on it (if I do at all). And isn't it customary for most people to only point out the rankest smells? Nobody says "Hey, this place smells great!", but everyone and their brother will more than earnestly point out when something smells like shit. Reason #456 why I hate society.

But today, I cracked open my window and noticed it'd rained overnight. In fact, it's still drizzling now. And I'm not a fan of rain, to say the least, but I guess today would be a typical fall day in Central NY. Trees are shedding leaves, girls are already wearing scarves, and the farmer's markets are selling apple cider. Must be October!

Dead leaves soaked in rain...if there were a cologne scented like that, that's October to me. That's the official end of summer. Like before we know it, snow will fall and cover that up and I should probably consider hibernating because snow to me is like Kryptonite to Superman. But let's just assume that I'll tough it out for another year, and enjoy today for what it is (even though I'll need to leave the house at some point for some groceries, and no kind of umbrella will make that walk any better).

MUSICAL BREAK!!

** Image ID #2010042 Unavailable **


Oh, the moment I've been waiting for!

Jay Bennett was a member of Wilco while they were recording their (in my opinion) greatest album, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. He was fired during the recording process, and died few years later from an accidental drug overdose. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart   is one of my very favorite movies, and it documents the trials and tribulations of being in a band, recording music, and getting dropped from your record label only to be resigned in the aftermath. Another great underdog story, if you will...and to me, Wilco hasn't topped YHF yet (but A Ghost Is Born and Sky Blue Sky come close).

Anyway, Jay Bennett was the behind-the-scenes mastermind for YHF; a multi-instrumentalist with production acumen with a slightly unaware sense of what a good song should sound like (as witnessed by the video below). "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" is maybe one of the top 5 Wilco songs, in my opinion ("Kingpin" and "I'm The Man Who Loves You" are up there as well). This version doesn't do justice to the album's slice, and that's Jay Bennett's fault...but it's still a great tune, with poetic Jeff Tweedy lyrics. I'm a sucker for great opening lines on the first tracks of many albums, and this (again, my opinion) should be considered among the best.


"I am an American aquarium drinker;
I assassin down the avenue."
Lyrics and interpretations.  


I can't get tired of hearing this song.

THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

*Magnify* Because we're all creepers to some extent: 25 Incredibly Creepy Things Everyone Does  .

*Pig* And if this isn't the best headline you've ever seen, I don't know what's wrong with your sense of humor: A Pig In Australia Steals 18 Beers From Campers, Gets Drunk, Fights Cow, Passes Out  .

*Telephone* Then I had a text conversation with the incredible lizco252 last night, because I professed a love for her. And I'm really not good at that sort of thing. But I'll have some money to play around with next week (providing the college grant money gets transferred into my bank account), and I'm thinking Colorado has to be brilliant this time of year. Or Beth is. Something like that. *Blush* C'mon...I don't just crush on anyone, people! When have you seen me be so open?

And now that I'm done with another entry, I'm watching the window to see if the rain'll slow down enough for me to consider walking in it on a day where I really don't have to leave the house. We'll see what happens. Peace, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't easy, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/829948-This-ones-about-not-trying-to-break-your-heart