*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/830120-The-Fable-of-the-Mouse-Babies
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #2003271
Now a residence for BC and BCOF items. Random bloggisness wil apear in POTPOURRI.
#830120 added October 5, 2014 at 4:46pm
Restrictions: None
The Fable of the Mouse Babies
      Once upon a time, a very, very long time ago - so long ago it was, when many mice still knew how to talk.  Most mice could not talk, but many were learning how and teaching all their children.  Some were even speculating about the possibility of building sturdy little houses. Because, you see, the smartest mice were running into a problem.  Vanity.  Yes, they were so proud of their intelligence and the intelligence of their children that they had taken to bearing these children on large flat, round stones where other mice could come by and see these wondrous baby mice and see how their studies were going. 
      It happened, however, that there were certain two footed apes that were becoming aggressive.  They weren't too bright, certainly not smart enough to speak as well as the mice.  When they were wandering around getting in trouble they couldn't even hear the mice yelling, "Watch where you're going you big dummies!"  And horror of horrors, these big dumb apes started occasionally stepping on the large flat stones where the most intelligent baby mice were curled up.  And what is worse, they seemed to like to hear the sound - - squish, pop! - squish, pop!  Each squish, pop, indicating that another of the best and brightest was biting the dust.  Some of the mice thought the apes were deaf, since they couldn't hear the mice, and that maybe they weren't hearing the squish, pop, but just enjoyed the squishy feeling between their toes.
      Well, the mice never did get around to building their protective houses.  All the vain, smart, speaking mice died out.  Evolution favored the stupid, humble mice.  I don't know what ever happened to the big dumb apes.


      If this story has a moral maybe you can figure it out.  I certainly can't.

© Copyright 2014 Geoff (UN: rennur at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Geoff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/830120-The-Fable-of-the-Mouse-Babies