*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/830793-A-realisation
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Other · #2013596
A random collection of thoughts by a strange character
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#830793 added October 11, 2014 at 12:01pm
Restrictions: None
A realisation
I am the archetypal 'Jack of all trades and master of none'. Perhaps I think there's just too many interesting things on this planet to partake in for me to focus on anything for too long. It's why I haven't learnt to play any musical instrument with any decent proficiency, because I simply do not have the patience to practice for long enough to be any good.





About two years ago I got it into my head that I wanted to write, but then another of my traits hampered me, namely my perfectionism and hence fear of possibly writing anything horrible. So for the past two years I've carried on as always, secretly writing my thoughts in my A4 black hardcover notebook and not letting anyone see it.





The thing is, the urge to write hasn't subsided, like most of my other fads. I still have this itch to write. So I said 'stuff this, I have to get over myself and start sharing my writing', joined WDC and nervously posted one of my poems as a sort of feeler. Yes, I got one or two critical, and even confusing, reviews, but I have also received some positive and constructive ones.





And I'm writing this because I made a discovery. I came home today distracted and conflicted about some news I received, and opened my mail out of sheer habit to find new reviews of my poem. Good and positive reviews. And it made me feel better. Which made me realise that I do really want my writing to be appreciated, and that my writing being appreciated makes me feel appreciated in a way that some of my other interests haven't.





So here I am, prepping for NaNoWriMo, aiming to write a novel in a month, and not giving up on it despite intense work and other pressures at the moment. Maybe it's a sign that I'm doing something I feel in my heart of hearts is worthwhile.





I really need to start reviewing other members' work on the site, and start spreading some of the joy I have received so far.





Ok, now to catch up on my prep work...

© Copyright 2014 Somethingstrange (UN: fallout3fan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Somethingstrange has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/830793-A-realisation