*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833471-Character-Problem
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1411600
The Good Life.
#833471 added November 7, 2014 at 7:58am
Restrictions: None
Character Problem
Here's a summary. Discussing in scroll, but it's easier to type it up in paragraph form here, especially because I can't even clearly articulate the problem.

The Oracle: Queen of the ursae (bear-like champions of the personified classical element, Earth)
Bronius: The Queen's chosen assassin
Molly; Mixed-breed daughter of Quiver (human, High Druid) and Midge (one of the witches, champions of Air)
Dragons: champions of the personified element, Fire


The purpose of the Druid Order is to maintain Balance. None of the Elements may grow stronger (or weaker) than the others. The Druids (led by High Druid Quiver) and the ursae (led by their queen, The Oracle) are already concerned because the dragons have taken steps to overthrow their own Element (Fire). Fire is growing weaker, threatening Balance. The Oracle took the information to the druids and asked for help, because that's what the druids are supposed to do, and it's not within the power of the ursae to confront the dragons (for the same reason - it might threaten the Balance between Earth and Fire.)

A little about the ursae: Earth's role is the mother comforter. The ursae are healers, not warriors. That's the crux of my problem.

But the Oracle is worried about Balance, and then she finds out two things:

(1) Molly is a half-witch. Quiver has forsaken his vow as a druid and sired a daughter with a champion of Air. That makes the witches, and the druids, no better than the dragons (except that Molly's birth has a negligible effect on Balance, compared to what the dragons are doing.)

(2) A prophecy reveals that Molly will bring about the downfall of Balance.

THE PROBLEM: Two things need to happen, and I'm struggling with the characterization of the ursae:

1. The Oracle visits the druids and tries to assassinate the girl.

2. When the assassination fails, the Oracle declares war on the druids.

I've got the first taken care of with some strong internal conflict and problems within the ursae nation. My reviewers may disagree later, but I think the Oracle has convinced herself that this is important enough. She's the comforter, but she's also the protector, and a threat to Balance is a serious thing. Think of the mother who would never be violent, except when her child is threatened.

But the next problem is just logistical.

The ursae are guests in the fortress. The Oracle hopes the assassination will succeed, but she's brought two dozen ursae with her in case it fails. When it does, what does she do next? It's about an hour past nightfall. They're in the ursae guest quarters, within the walls of the fortress. The alarm will soon be raised when the assassination attempt is discovered. Does she stay in the fortress or leave? Her plan is to demand the girl and then declare war when they refuse. She probably doesn't think they'll refuse because druids are champions of Balance, but this is Quiver's daughter. When they do refuse, and the Oracle declares war, what is that even going to look like? The druids can't attack the ursae, because that will weaken Earth, and that goes against everything the druids stand for. The ursae won't attack the druids, because it's not in their nature - unless the Oracle feels like her children are threatened. But if the druids won't attack, what's the threat? The same as with Molly, presumably - she must feel desperate about the future of Balance...

Continued in the comments so y'all can start reading and thinking. *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2014 BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ (UN: tuozzo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833471-Character-Problem