*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/834369-New-Citizenship
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#834369 added November 23, 2014 at 10:37pm
Restrictions: None
New Citizenship
         I have a friend and co-worker who just got his citizenship papers Friday. He is so proud. I am so happy for him. He's a great guy.

         This man was a teacher who became dispossessed. He was of Nepali descent and lived in Bhutan where thousands of people were turned out of their homes and lifestyles overnight. Many of these young Nepali people arriving now in the U.S. are in their twenties or early thirties, and they have never known peace or security until arriving here. My friend escaped with his family to Burma where they lived in a refugee camp until finally being able to relocate to another country. While in the camp, he was a social worker, and was responsible for 10,000 people on a daily basis getting supplies and food. That means he had to be organized, efficient, calm, and he had to delegate and supervise.

         Here in America he has no recognized skills, only his experience. He took a job as a housekeeper, and worked hard, no nonsense. He worked his way up in management, and has won the respect of his own people who obey him and follow his directions, and all the others under him and other management. I prefer to deal with him than the American born managers because he keeps his promises, is respectful, and always meets his deadlines. The other legal immigrants look up to him as a role model. He is a leader in every sense. He has worked hard to pass his tests and meet all his requirements of citizenship.

         Most of us take our citizenship and our privileges for granted. But he has worked for his. He has earned the title "American". I am so happy for him and all that he has accomplished.He sees America as the land of opportunity. People like him give the rest of us hope and inspiration that we can have better lives if we work for it. Our dreams can be realized.

© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/834369-New-Citizenship