*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/836593-January-15
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #2019075
Ten students are trapped with nowhere to go as a historic storm sets in, will they survive
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#836593 added December 18, 2014 at 4:32pm
Restrictions: None
January 15
JANUARY 15

12:00 A.M.
         After pointing the system out to my partner Billy, we both began work on creating a model of the storm to see what its potential will be. We asked for the mainframe so we could produce the model and be able to accurately predict what would happen if the storm would develop and hit the coast. When we finally had it done we were able see a week track and future cast of the storm system. What we saw was something that the National Weather Service needed to see.
         On duty that night was our professor Dr. Person who worked part time with the NWS. There were always at least four people in the office at the time unless it was a major event when they everyone in.
         “Dr. Person we found something,” I said, rushing up to him. He already knew about the low-pressure system in the gulf, because he was the one who gave us access to the mainframe to see what was going on.
         “We’ll let take a look at it,” he said getting up out of his chair. He headed over to the computer to take a look at the model.
         “Dear lord,” he said, “are we sure.”
         “We have checked it ten times and we get the same result,” I told. The model was producing a storm that would dwarf any hurricane. The worst part is that the tropical system would combine with the polar vortex that is coming down from the arctic. The storm should reach here in four days, we have four days. The station at this point went on red alert, every available resource was going to this storm and seeing if this was going to happen.
         “You can’t tell anyone what you have found, until we know for sure,” Dr. Pearson told us, “I need you to continue working on your model to see if you get a time scale for this event and the intensity.” So we set to work on it, while station monitors and tries to get more data for us to use. It was a long night.
4:00 A.M.
         I found myself asleep on the keyboard of the computer that was at my station. I most have fallen asleep while trying to work on the model. I looked over to find Billy was also out. All I can remember before I fell asleep was that we were waiting for the model to compute with the new data that was coming in. We called in a few favors from around the area to see if we could get more information.
         I looked up at the computer screen, it was done. What was shown on the monitor was a giant storm. The storm will cover from Texas to Florida, Anywhere about 50 miles from the shore of the gulf would see a raging blizzard. This storm would be worse than the super storm of 1993 and super storm sandy.
         “Are you awake Jason,” Dr. Pearson asked?
         “Barely,” I said trying to wipe the sleep from my eyes, “It’s done.” He looked at the model that was on the computer. His eyes showed worry and fear.
         “That’s not good,” he said, “Get some rest, you’re going to need it, take Billy with you.” Billy was passed out next to me, I woke him up to get some sleep. Dr. Person gave us an excuse for our classes that day since we up late tracking the storm.
         “One last thing Jason,” Dr. Person said, “I need to brief emergency management.” This shocked me, the last thing I expected was to be briefing the emergency management. I had no idea what to say to them. We just found this last night.
         “Why me,” I said.
         “You found it, the briefings going to be tomorrow at noon,” He said, “now go get some sleep.”
         Just what I needed, I get to stand up in front of some of the most important people around and tell them there is a monster storm coming. Inside I kept feeling uneasy about this, something was not right. This storm came out of nowhere, all we were looking for was a polar vortex coming down. We were not expecting a massive blizzard to be bearing down on us. It took me a Billy about to make our way to the dorm. Marshall hall was on the other side of campus from the science complex. It was very windy, the wind was a cold north wind that cut straight through you.
         Marshall hall did not look like your ordinary college dorm. It more looked like an apartment complex. There were four buildings in the shape of a u; two of the buildings were for girls and the other two for guys. Each dorm held four students, it has a living room, two bedrooms, a kitchen with a refrigerator and a microwave. We were not able to have a stove since it was a fire hazard. The best part was we had our own bathroom in the dorm. Me and Billy dorm C-23 was on the top floor and as soon as we got we hit the bed. It was nice to lay down, I soon found myself sinking into deep sleep as my eyes closed.
10:00 A.M.
         That was the best sleep I have had in a long time. As I looked up at my alarm clock and saw what time it was I was glad that we got the day off from classes. Billy was just getting up as I was getting ready. It was a long night, but we both knew what we are going to have to do. So we got ready and headed out. We decided to eat lunch with our friends, but we knew we could not tell them what we have found. It was going to be hard not to tell them anything that was like this, but we had to keep our mouths shut until we knew for sure. Otherwise, we could cause a mass panic, and that would help nothing.
         The wind was still strong from the north, the one thing that was different was the dark clouds forming to the south. The clouds we dark but still far away. What needed to happen now was us to find as much about it as we could and then we can tell the public.
         “Those don’t look good,” said Billy.
         “No, they don’t,” I said as we headed into the meteorology building.
         The floor was busy at work. They must have called an all call since the storm we found. Everyone was working on different things, trying to keep track of the storm. The main room big screens were up displaying radar and model predictions of the storm coming in.
         “Got some rest,” One of the forecasters said.
         “Yea.”
         “Good Dr. Person wants you in his office, both of you,” He said and headed back to his desk. Dr. Person office was the office toward the back. The entire wall that was facing the main room was made out of glass so he could see what is happening. Dr. Person was writing something on the computer. Most likely it was a press release on the storm. We entered the office and he gestured for us to sit down. While he was finishing writing, I looked at the several different pictures that I had looked at before. His office smelled like a burning fireplace most likely from the Yankee Candle burning by his desk. I knew what he was about to say and I was not ready for it. I was about the credited with finding this system and I will be briefing the entire area about. Me the college freshman who is only studying meteorology all I am is a student/intern.
         “I have a press release ready, all we need now is the updated model data,” He said still looking at his computer. He then looked at me and gave me the stare of uncertainty. “Jason this storm is like nothing we have never seen.”
         Those words stuck with me, the idea of as storm that we fully do not understand is a scary thought. My heads trembled with fear, not just because I was going to have to brief, but the thought of a storm that could be that bad.
         “When is the briefing,” I asked?
         “It has been moved to today at three o clock,” He said, “you better get to work, he said, we "have a station for you both to work on. Welcome to the National Weather Service.” He dismissed us from there to our station. Billy went ahead and began working on a timetable for the storm. I, on the other hand began to work on the briefing that I would be making. What had to be said was something that nobody would agree on that table. My head was buzzing with thoughts, which made the process harder, but then one thing kept coming up and more and more it worried me.
         I kept thinking of Rebecca, what can I do to make sure she is safe? That is one thing had to make sure I figured out. I cannot lose her, she means too much to me. I do not think I could bear losing her. I had to make sure she will be safe. The other thing is I had to make sure all of us will be safe. In a storm like this, we cannot go home. We all live too far away, but if we stay, we could be trapped with nowhere to go. We could freeze to death in those temperatures. I really don’t know what to do, I don’t know what to say.
         Billy was noticing something was bothering me by the way he kept looking over at me just stare at the computer screen.
         “You ok,” he asked?
         “Yea I am fine,” I said back to him and continued to work. I had to prepare for the briefing, I just hope I don’t get stage fright.
2:45 P.M.
         I entered the main office space of the national weather service. The office was like a busy beehive with workers going every which way. It was a hub of activity, some were tracking the storm while others were trying to issue the appropriate warnings and advisories. Others were trying to get the word out to the local emergency managers. I made my way through the busy office space and entered into the main conference area.
         The plans had changed a little there was going to be two separate briefing one would be for the local governments and emergency managers, the other was going to be to the public. The first would be in the small conference room. The smaller room was off to the side and was a single long table with chairs and a projector screen on the far wall. The entire room was built to hold about fifteen to twenty people max. I had to do both, but I would have help from Dr. Person with the public briefing.
         “You ready to begin Jason,” Dr. Person said as he came into the room. Several others were right behind him. The president of the college was one as well as the mayor of the city and the governor of the state of Mississippi.
         “Yes,” I said, and we began the briefing as everyone sat down.
3:00 P.M.
         “The storm center will move about three miles away from the city,” I said, “The snow should begin falling by Tomorrow evening.” The briefing was going well for the most part. Most of the leaders in the room were not sure what to do.
         “How vast is this storm going to be,” the mayor asked?
         “It will cover most of the southern United States,” I said, showing the projected model, “Then it will move to the northeast and then back to sea.” Now the room was in shock, the mere vastness of the storm took everyone by surprise. The room was quiet as everyone was trying to process what was just said. I began to wonder myself of what I could do in this situation.
         The next question came from the president of the college, “How long will it last?”
         “We don’t know for sure, but it could be days or even weeks before the high pressure in the east will move,” I said.
         “And how do we know that this storm is going to be as bad as you say it will be, your just a student here,” He said.
         “We don’t, like you said I am just a student. This storm could just blow over us and do nothing more than maybe an inch of snow or we could be looking at a historic storm that could dump snow like we have never seen. I for one would rather prepare for the worse than not prepare and be in a situation where millions of people could freeze to death.” I said as the anger that built up in me was blowing out. The entire time he just question about what if it doesn’t happen.
         “Then what should we do,” the governor said?
         “Gather as much food as you can, do whatever you can to keep warm and seek shelter,” I said as every word stung as it came out of my mouth, “Then wait it out and survive.” Those last words hung in the air after I said them. The room was quitting as everyone just stared. They must be thinking how did this storm sneak up on us this fast, how did it come to this?
         “Very well, but we are going to have to wait and see what happens,” the governor said.
         “The more time you waste the more people that will die,” I said with force. The faces in the room were solid, nothing was going to change their mind at this point only the storm will.
         Dr. Person was the next person to speak, “We have sent out this briefing with ever National Weather Service office and emergency managers in the southern United States. After which I left the room, I do not know if I was angry with myself or with the situation. I could feel my face burning with it. Billy followed me to the office. As entered I just stood there, I was angry with how they were going to wait and see.
         “That all you can do Jason,” He said trying to calm me down
         “I know, but what if I made it clearer that it was coming,” I said
         “Nothing would change, their minds were made up before they even came in the room,” he said. I know he was telling the truth, it is hard to just sit here and wait. The feeling of hopelessness is one I will never understand. Just sitting and waiting for something to happen, waiting for something that could be catastrophic.
         “I can’t just sit here and wait, people are endangered,” I said.
         “Yes there are, but it is not for one person to tell the world about it, “Dr. Person said as entered the office. I was a little startled when he comes in. I was still expecting him to be contending with the leaders in the room, “They canceled the public briefing, and they don’t want us to issue any warnings until we are sure that it is going to be as bad as we said.”
         “Wait, are we going against what they said,” I asked?
         “Yes, but we have to do it quietly,” He said at a whisper, “but we are going to have to wait until after midnight to do anything, until then tell your friends to get what they can and find a place to stay here in town or on campus.”
         “Ok, we will be back at midnight to help you,” Billy said. Billy and I left and went to find out friends and tell them what was coming.
© Copyright 2014 jungurait8 (UN: jungurait8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jungurait8 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/836593-January-15