*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/837515-Year-of-the-Rear
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#837515 added December 31, 2014 at 11:02pm
Restrictions: None
"Year of the Rear"
         I'm still recovering from a cold, cough, and malaise. So I'm spending New Year's Eve at home, basically killing time. We put the luminaries out on the road on time; a neighbor's son volunteered to light them. Apparently, he likes being out in the cold, and was still there when I went out in the dark to try my hand at photos in the dark. It was cool seeing the whole neighborhood with its hills and winding curves lit up with candles.

         I followed that with putting photos on Facebook. I served my dad some oyster stew, then slept all the way through Jeopardy. I woke up to some New Year show with Kathy Lee Gifford reviewing the past year of celebrities. (It would be too depressing reviewing the news.) It was informative. I caught celebrity gossip I missed during the year, I was reminded that this was Jimmy Fallon's first year on The Tonight Show.I learned about selfie on a stick and "belfies" (selfie of the butt). But I was really fascinated with Beyonce, Nicky Minaj, and Meghan Trainor. Only the last was new to me; I had heard her on the radio and instantly liked the song, but the name hadn't stuck.

         They came together, along with J-Lo, Kim,and Ellen, yes Ellen, to make 2014 "the year of the rear". (Ellen did a spoof of Anaconda, which was not pretty.) What most women always have tried to avoid is now in style, a big booty.I had to leave the TV set, go to my computer, and listen to these songs and watch these videos. I am enlightened. There is this whole phenomenon going on, a new way of thinking that's hip and cool and liberating. I've been missing out on this music, too. I liked what I heard. Well, some of the lyrics were a little out there, but probably not worse than what I listened to when I was in college, just different.

         So with all the things that happened this year, in science, in medicine, in politics, in finances, in history, I'm going to recall that 2014 was the year of the rear. Makes it stand out, huh? 

© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/837515-Year-of-the-Rear