*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/840436-This-ones-about-new-science-dreams-and-romance
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2002599
My fourth blog. Amazing yet disconcerting. Don't worry; this'll go away in a year or so.
#840436 added February 4, 2015 at 11:28pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about new science, dreams, and romance.
Banner or header for 30DBC

*Beakerb* "Scientists discover a new material that can... If this prompt doesn't float your boat, write about what does. OR...spend your time smack talking your opposing team. OR...all of the above."

What's up y'all? First, before I get into these prompts, I'd like to offer you a little historical perspective. Many of you may have already read Julie D - PUBLISHED! 's entry today, "Invalid Entry. And some of you may have picked up on the fact that Julie and I sometimes refer to each other as twins. I encourage you to check out "Invalid Entry and "This one's about what we should've had years ago....you'll notice that we both wrote about The Jetsons and their flying cars. That's not uncommon in a 30DBC, where we're all writing on similar topics. But if you look closely, you'll note not only the similarity of specificness in the topic, but that they were posted at the same exact time. As in, we were somehow mentally communicating this same idea simultaneously. If that's not the sign of two people separated at birth, I don't know what is (other than having halves of a mystical locket, which I know I don't possess, but I swear I saw something like that in a movie once).

And I'm not gonna lie...the thought of bringing The Jetsons back up in today's entry did cross my mind, probably around the same time I got a message from J-dubs wondering if we were gonna repeat that same feat today ('cuz that's how us twinners roll). But I'd already decided that since I covered that idea once before, it was time for something different.

So in this fantasy, scientists have discovered a new material that allows you to read minds. And I know...there's already some shitty Mel Gibson rom-com from the nineties that addresses the pros and cons of this very scenario which makes him look like a douchebag without him having to get all anti-Semetic on cops for pulling him over or whatever. And Google pretty much made this happen (albeit in much smaller doses) with the now-discontinued Google Glass, where you could be checkin' out a fine lookin' lady while she's updating her Facebook status to read "Sum creeper @ the mall is checkin' me out...ewww" using just bats of eyelashes and systematic brain waves.

No. Not in this little break from reality. Because I'm in the mood to believe that science wants to use its powers for good and not stupidity, I'm taking the optimistic route here because no bullshit; I can't tell you how many times having the ability to read someone's mind would've saved me from an embarrassing situation, or how often I've wished I knew how people would respond before I opened my big dumb yap. There's your fun fact about me for the day.

See, I'm pretty good at two things: saying inappropriate things at awkward moments, and overthinking situations before they actually play out (and usually they do in the opposite fashion). Why wouldn't my happy ass be first in line for an affordable, discreetly wearable device that could save both you and I from myself? I'd love to know that someone was genuinely laughing at my banter with the counterhelp at Kinney Drugs and not because there's six inches of toilet paper hanging out the leg of my jeans. That alone could be some kind of miracle godsend.

The possibilities are endless. Imagine the debates you could have with people who don't share your opinions, because while they're bangin' the gears of their mind together on a rebuttal you're already well into the point/counterpoint without having to hear their fool mouth blather. Put this in the right hands and wars would cease! Law enforcement could just be buddy cops catchin' real crooks instead of just being dicks to everyone in hoodies wearin' headphones. Teachers could look at you sideways for a reason other than knowin' you don't know what you're supposed to know. The world would be a better place, because we'd know who the idiots are before they get the chance to prove it to us in other manners.

Sadly, I don't see this ever catching on. Science has bigger problems right now than what I want or what will be useful in my lifetime. But a boy can dream, and if you can dream it, it can be...still a dream.

Blog City image small


*Thought* "'When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.' -Bella. Do you agree or disagree?"

I'm gonna assume two things here: 1) the Bella in question is from the Twilight series; and 2) Princess Megan Rose 22 Years meant to say "it's not unreasonable...". Call me crazy, but that's how I'm looking at this.

And I promise I won't go on an anti-Twilight rant either.

The truth about vampires.
Ok, now I'm done.


Here's what I know: most normal humans have hopes and dreams. Some get lucky enough to see them fulfilled, and it's often glorious. But there comes a time when they have to end...and that too is normal. More often than not, there's some sadness involved...and nobody has the right to tell you that it's not ok to grieve because the dream is over. There's no expiration date or grace period. It's different for everyone, just as we're all different.

And as much as it pains me to say it (because some people abuse the right to be sad about frivolous things), let 'em be if you can't say anything nice or supportive (even though I've been guilty of mocking people overly butthurt by television shows not ending the way they wanted them to or sports teams getting their asses rightfully handed to them). Some people take shit more seriously than others, and that's ok. It takes all types to make this world go 'round, and those garbage magazines at supermarket checkout stands won't sell themselves.

Many people put a shit-ton of effort into making their dreams a reality, so understand that it's their right to be hurt or disappointed for awhile when things no longer work out. We're all guilty of getting sucked into passions; believe that. From the kid who wants to be a quarterback to the girl living out her fairytale wedding, and everyone in between. Don't hate on 'em because things didn't come out as they mentally scripted it. They don't need your bullshit...chances are, you're still trying to work out your own problems and are just projecting your angst onto an easier target than where it needs to be- going forward in your own life. Eventually they'll grow out of their grieving and become better from it...just like I'll grow out of being pissed that I'm doomed genetically by only being 5'6". Wait...that's a terrible analogy. But you see what I'm sayin'.

To sum it up, like I always say...live and let live. Nobody's got time to deal with the added burden of your disapproval of the grieving process.

BCOF Insignia


*Heart* "February is Creative Romance Month and An Affair to Remember Month. Write a poem, story, rant, or ad about one or both of these February themes. Have fun and be creative."

Whoa! Who says either of these silly ideas were for me? Ok, I'm not against either of them, but let's get something straight...I'm not exactly into them right now either.

February is associated with Valentine's Day, rightfully so for better or for worse, and I'm certainly no stranger to the idea of going all-out for the lady that has captured my heart. But I've also gotten piss drunk by myself listening to metal on 2/14 because fuck being single when the whole damn world is shoving their love for someone else up your ass. It's doubly worse when you work in retail, seeing and especially hearing people squawk about their freaking happiness. May as well stab me in the heart through my back with your giant cardboard heart filled with shitty drugstore chocolates.

But naw man, I'm not gonna hate this year on your happiness. If you wanna be in love, good for you. And if you don't, good for you as well. I ain't sad and lonely; I've got other shit to worry about than stressin' over whether or not I'm doin' enough to make someone else happy on one damn day of the fuckin' year...love's a 24/7/365 thing when I'm in it, if I've learned anything about me at all throughout my life. I'll grit my teeth and sit through all the love stories that come with February, and hope for the best for all y'all.

** Image ID #1970900 Unavailable **


And that brings us to today's installment of "The Soundtrack of Your Life...and you know I couldn't do this without bringing up The Get Up Kids.

I've mentioned at times a "crazy ex" (and we all have one)...this one was special. Ridiculously cute. Addictive personality. She lit up a room with her looks and charm. And we were so, so, so friggin' toxic together. She knew how to push my buttons and piss me right the fuck off. But we loved each other. We were together for about two and a half years, but were probably happy maybe a total of six months somewhere in there.

And we were both idiots...the whole relationship came together because of going out one night for drinks. She was new in town and we were working together. She'd just left her husband- major plot in the story- and moved out near me (I'd just recently been in another failed relationship), so showing her a nice evening led her back to my place at 542, more drinks, making out, weirdness, and after awhile, the idea that maybe we should be boyfriend/girlfriend instead of just getting shitfaced and having sex when she didn't have her kids. Young kids, by the way, ages 2 and 4 at the onset, which I was so not ready for.

And neither of us was perfect in the relationship. Far from it. There were lots of good times, but there were lots of not-so-good moments as well. I don't think either of us were capable of the relationships we'd envisioned. But she was beautiful, and the sex was...incredible. Hands down (no pun intended). But yeah, she was crazy, and in turn, that pushed me over my boundaries of sanity. To say we fought would be a disservice to us both. We fuckin' brawled over stupid shit. I'm not proud of it and it's the biggest anomaly of my life. There was zero trust; my previous girlfriend had cheated on me, and this one had no inclination of getting divorced because it was "too expensive" at the time...so when we fought, I took advantage of that and did my own thang. I shouldn't have been so surprised that she'd do the same thing too eventually, but it crushed me when it was finally over and she tried to come back. Her new boytoy had given her an STD, and she felt like she had to tell me as well as plea for a shoulder to cry on. That's when it finally hit me that we were over. It should've been over long before that, but love does a lot of fucked up things to people. I've never been comfortable discussing the relationship. But it's a part of me, and it's shaped me in a way that, like I said, I'm not proud of, but dammit I can't run from it either.

And one of her cute things, when she would do something dumb and agitate me, was to say "Love me!" like that was her way of absolving herself from guilt. She had me where she wanted me...fucking the hottest girl in the bar at the end of the night. Yet she still couldn't bring herself to divorce her husband, who she claimed, among other things, was abusive and deviant well beyond my imagination or willing capabilities.

Moral of the story? Don't start screwin' married chicks. With kids. Crazy kids. Because crazy kids come from crazy mothers. I'm sure she's doing very well for herself now, and I'm, well, me, still, but a much muted person perspective-wise. That was ten years ago...amazing what hindsight and experience does to a soul.


"I don't want you to love me anymore
than enough.
I can't be held accountable if you can't make up your mind."
Lyrics.  


For the blog.


*Glasses* So I know I said some stuff about the future, and there's a lot in the past I can't take back. But please enjoy these retro images   of modern-day problems caricatured in a style we're not altogether up with, for the most part.

*Turntable* I'm a day late to the party, because I get all my television from Hulu, but y'all know I'm a big fan of late-night tv talk shows...and Jimmy Fallon stone-crunched a nerve last night on me with his take on the "Fresh Prince Of Bel Air" opening for his shows in Los Angeles this week. I was totally a DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince fan...I had them tapes way back in the day. I even remember my grandmother taking me Christmas shopping and picking out one. Cassettes! Yes!

I had more to add, but I think I've said enough for tonight. Peace, I gave everything, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2015 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/840436-This-ones-about-new-science-dreams-and-romance