*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843543
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #2033640
An Alliance soldier travels to a war-torn planet, her heritage quickly catches up
#843543 added March 24, 2015 at 10:00pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen


         Wells awoke suddenly, and covered in sweat.  The night air was cool against her skin as she uncovered herself and stood up.  Something's wrong, she thought, looking up into the starry sky.  There came a sudden commotion a little ways beyond the light of the campfire that burned low in the circle of sleepers.  Brusko, who had kept watch with his keen ears, sat upright and looked at Wells.

         "Did you hear that?" she asked him.  He nodded and stood.  There came a call, almost it sounded like a distant warning.  Brusko picked his spear off the ground and held the point forward at the ready.  By this time, the others were roused and picked up their own weapons.  On the edge of the firelight, they could see the silhouettes of two figures, one much taller than the other.

         "Who's there?" Sergeant Ralphael called to the figures.

         "Is that Ralphael?" one responded in a deep voice. 

         "Falson?"

         "Yeh, got Toomes with me, too," replied Falson.  The figures stepped into the circle of light and were revealed to indeed be H.M.O. Falson and Alistair Toomes.  The company welcomed them back with great surprise and delight.

         "The river took us quite a distance," explained Falson.  "How we managed not to smash our heads on the rocks or break anything is beyond me.  We're a little battered and bruised, but it could have been worse."

         "How did you get out?" asked Ralphael.

         "There was a blockage, a dam of sorts," said Toomes.  "I had just about given in when I crashed into it.  I nearly got sucked under, but managed to climb my way out.  Falson had similar luck."

         "It's just as well that it put you on this side of the river, too," Ralphael replied.  "We had a hell of a time trying to get over.  Nearly cost us the drone."

         Falson looked questioningly at Shepard, who frowned.

         "It's nothing, just over-stressed it a bit. I've fixed the struts as best I could and she's cooled off.  She'll be right as rain the morning."

         "Speaking of morning," Nathalya interjected. "We should probably get some more rest while we may.  We're drawing close to the end of the plains and there is no telling what tomorrow has in store for us."

         Falson and Toomes took this suggestion gladly and laid themselves down close to the fire.  In the morning, everyone was given hot tea to ward off the morning's chill.  By the afternoon, the sun was high in a cloudless sky and the air became dense as they approached the final leg of the western plains.

         

         The rolling, golden, hills gave way to a flat and nearly featureless wasteland.  Healthy, budding green trees were traded for sickly slender and gnarled stumps.  Lush bushes became dry and gray, dust-ridden weeds.  Dirt cracked and crumbled underfoot as they walked.  It was at this transition, that the path turned northward and they could see, in the near distance, a collection of what looked to be several piles of rocks and clay.

         Nathalya felt a change come over her as they approached the stones, which were, in fact, seen then to be the foundations of several ancient structures.  Brusko halted at the edge of the ruins and planted his spear.  Nathalya took this to mean he would not go further into the ruins.  She drew her rifle and held it level as she walked among the ruins.           When she deemed it to be clear, she slung the rifle and began to inspect some of the architecture.  These buildings would have been fairly tall, she thought to herself as she looked around.  To her, they didn't look as though they had been left to nature's bidding, instead, they looked as though they had fallen during some great siege or battle.

         Not knowing quite what she was looking for, she ventured through fallen corridors and halls, trying to find some hint or clue about the titan.  The others had also taken to wandering the area, except Brusko, who stood resolutely at the edge of the ruins and kept a watchful eye on the team. 

         Shepard was quick to find the highest point in the rubble up a set of what appeared to be an ancient staircase that would lead up to an upper rampart.  Though the wall had fallen, the stairs stood mostly intact, though pebbles and loose stones fell precariously to the ground as she climbed gingerly to the top. 

         She surveyed the surroundings and quickly located what appeared to be an entrance to an underground cellar or basement. She called to the others and pointed them in it's direction.  H.M.O. Falson pulled open what was left of the rotting wooden door and allowed Nathalya to take the lead.  Shepard rejoined the group as they pushed their way inside and down a long stone stairway.

         When they ran out of light, Nathalya pulled one of the old torches lining the descent and lit a brightly burning flame before passing it to Sergeant Ralphael.  She took another for herself and continued down the steps. 

         After what seemed a mile or more underground, the twisting and turning stairway came to an abrupt halt and the company found themselves in a massive underground cavern.  Pale bluish-green light seemed to radiate from the very stonework of the cavernous hall, almost rendering the torches unneeded.

         Giant pillars grew up from floor to ceiling and several dark passages and corridors branched off from the main hall.

         "What the hell is this place?" asked Sergeant Haliday, his voice echoing off the bare walls.

         "This..," came a voice that did not belong to the group.  They looked around for the speaker, but no one was seen. 

         "Was once a place considered holy to the Calari," it continued.

         "Show yourself!" Ralphael yelled to the seemingly empty hall.

         "Lower your weapons, friends.  You are in no danger here,"  replied the voice.  The company looked at each other for a moment before Nathalya motioned for them to acquiesce. 

         Nathalya and the others watched as a shadow passed between two pillars near the center of the hall, drawing closer.  The shadow came to within several steps of the group and stood tall before them. 

         "Who are you?" asked Nathalya.  "Why won't you show us your face?"

         "I would show my face, if I had one," replied the shadow.  "Who I am is but a shadow of the formal glory of the Calari civilization.  My name is Bal'Ghaz."

         "Like the forest?" asked Ralphael.

         "Like the forest," the shadow replied. "Though I am much older."

         "Why are you here?" asked Nathalya.

         "I am here," replied Bal'Ghaz.  "As a caretaker of knowledge.  But I sense that you did not come here to bandy words of Calari customs or pottery making.  One of your company is a Calaren.  Am I correct?"

         The company turned their heads and looked at Nathalya, who nodded.  "I am," she said.  The shade of Bal'Ghaz moved closer to her and stood silent for a moment, presumably to look her over.

         "You're strong, young one,"  it said. "And you have Calari blood on your hands.  But you haven't reached your full potential."

         "So I've heard," replied Nathalya.

         "Don't misunderstand my words," replied the shade.  "You are stronger now than most Calari were while they reigned.  I will tell you more, but you must come alone.  As a Calaren, you are, unlike your companions, privileged to the information you seek."

         "You know why we're here?" asked Nathalya.

         "I do.  Please follow me," replied the shade, then he moved to one of the eastern corridors and waited. Nathalya made to follow the shade, but Wells grabbed her by the arm.

         "I'm coming with you, Nat," she said defiantly.

         "That's okay, Trin, I'll be fine," replied Nathalya.

         "I know, because I'm coming too."

         "Don't be stupid, nothing will happen to me."

         The shade waited patiently before speaking up. "I see that you two have more of a connection to each other than to the rest of your company.  If it pleases you, young one, she may accompany you, but no one else."


         Nathalya and Wells followed the shade, who led them down several corridors that radiated soft blue light as they progressed and then faded as they passed.  Nathalya noted a surprising lack of cobwebs and the place seemed to be free of dust and insects.

         "I am also the caretaker of these halls," said the shade, apparently guessing her thoughts.  "When you have as much time on your hands as I do, it is amazing how much work can be done.  We're nearly there now."

         The final turn saw them come to another large cavern which, unlike the first, was completely dark and did not self-illuminate. 

         "How about a little light, young one, if you please," said the shade.  Nathalya obliged and sent sparks flying to the surrounding walls, lighting torches and chandeliers hanging from the high, domed ceiling.  In the middle of this hall, there was a pit.  And in the pit, crowned in jet black delorite, was a construct of unmatched magnificence. 

         The head rose out of the pit, which Nathalya guessed was at least two-hundred feet deep.  It had a smooth, featureless face over broad shoulders.  It wore armor of more of the jet black delorite and carried a massive shield in one hand and a long rapier in the other.  Nathalya felt her eyes widen and her jaw drop.

         "Is that..," began Wells.

         "Orion?" finished the shade.  "Yes.  And as living heir to Kel'Anor, Nathalya's inheritance, along with all of the treasures of these halls - which are significant."

         "If Orion is here, why would Lord Tesson put all that effort into searching the Hollin mountains?" asked Nathalya.

         "Lord Tesson?" asked the shade. 

         "The Calari that rules over the Corrinites," replied Nathalya.

         "Oh my," replied the shade.  "If he is searching for Orion in the Hollin mountains, he must not know."

         "Know what?" asked Nathalya.  The shade began to walked along the railing that bordered the pit.  Nathalya and Wells followed close behind.  At length, the shade spoke again.

         "Kel'Anor had Orion moved from the mountains and placed here.  When your mother exiled herself, Kel'Anor was distraught and told very few of his followers the new location of the titan.  Indeed this entire place was built specifically as a temple to the titan.  It was meant to keep all those unaware of it's movement in the dark.  If Lord Tesson, once a high ranking Calari, does not know, it means Kel'Anor did not consider him worthy."

         "Tesson said he wished to use the titan to bend the system to his will and unite it under the Corrinite banner," said Nathalya.

         "He'd be hard pressed to accomplish that, even with an ally such as Orion," replied the shade.

         "What do you mean?" asked Nathalya.  The shade stopped and peered over the railing at the silent guardian below.

         "A construct such as Orion is not suited for conquests.  Besides being able to rebuild entire worlds, Orion was built to be a shield, a guardian of the Calari people should humans use the titans against them." explained the shade.  "Your mother, Nathalya, was the jewel of her people and her father loved her dearly.  But when she learned of her father's intentions for the humans once corrupted by the power of the titans, she fled.  She loved humankind far too much to give herself to a weapon designed to kill them."

         "So then why does he even want the master titan?" asked Nathalya, her confusion mounting.  The shade continued following the railing.

         "The master titan is not just a guardian of its people," replied the shade.  "Orion has the ability to open a window to Shadowmoore, where the Calari now dwell in peace."

         "Shadowmoore..," Nathalya said to herself. "Then if Lord Tesson were to find the master titan, he would be able to take revenge on Kel'Anor for casting him aside."

         "You are clever," said the shade.  "If I had a face, I would be smiling right now.  Instead, just take my word for it."

         "We need to destroy the titan, you know this, don't you?" Nathalya asked. 

         "The titan cannot be destroyed easily," said the shade.  "The force required to destroy it would destroy half of El'Anorath as well."

         "What is to be done? Lord Tesson cannot be allowed to control it," said Nathalya.

         "If you truly wish to keep Lord Tesson from finding the titan, enter it," said the shade.  "Enter it and I will command it to open a portal to Shadowmoore.  Once you have stepped through, I will close the portal forever.  Kel'Anor can then destroy the titan."

         "Is there no other way?" asked Nathalya quietly.

         "Kill Lord Tesson.  But I warn you, as long as his body remains, he will return.  He must be imprisoned or convinced to join his people in Shadowmoore."


         Nathalya and Wells were silent for a time, looking down at the lonely figure below.  Finally, Nathalya spoke. "Who are you?" she asked. 

         "I've already told you my name," replied the shade.  "But I think you mean, 'who am I to you'."

         They had come full circle and now stood again at the entrance to the hall.  Nathalya looked into the blue eyes of the shade as it stood before her.  She felt an odd familiarity about them that gave her an uncomfortable feeling. 

         "Kel'Anor made himself two brothers before all others," said the shade.  "I am Kel'Anor's brother, and your great uncle.  Lord Tesson is the final brother, though we know him as Tal'Faron.  Whatever you decide, young one, do it soon."

         "Why?" asked Nathalya, still processing the revelations.

         "Because Tal'Faron is on his way here.  It may already be too late."


         Nathalya was nearly knocked off balance as a crash came from overhead that shook the chandeliers and was followed by several smaller explosions that knocked loose small stones that tumbled dangerously from the ceiling. 

         "Farewell, young one," said the shade, and then vanished.  Nathalya and Wells ran back along the corridors. When they reached the main hall, they found they were too late to warn the others, who were sat on their knees with arms behind their heads.

         Nathalya held out her arm so that Wells ran into it and stopped before she could run into the open out of the corridor.  They could see Lord Tesson speaking with Sergeant Haliday, as one would speak to a subordinate.

         "And where is our precious Nathalya?" Tesson asked him.

         "She and another followed some shadow man down that corridor," answered Haliday, pointing in their direction.

         "Shadow man?" asked Tesson.

         "He was all in black.  I couldn't see his face."

         "Very well.  I think we'll follow in their footsteps," said Tesson.  Then, with a wave of his hand, Haliday and about fifteen others pulled the captives to their feet and followed him towards the corridor. 

         "They've come for you," said Wells quietly to Nathalya.  "I won't let them take you this time!"

         Nathalya started to protest, but Wells was already running towards the Corrinites.

         "If you want her, you'll have to go through me!" Nathalya heard Wells' voice as she turned and ran.  "You'll never find -"

         Nathalya's heart dropped when she heard a shot ring out and then did not hear Wells' voice again.  She did, however, hear the clatter of running feet coming down the corridor after her.

         Hoping for the best, Nathalya quickened her pace until she came again to the hall where Orion slept.  You idiot! She thought to herself. You led them right too it.  She set the doorway in flames, hoping to buy some time, only to have them instantly blown out by a strong wind.  Lord Tesson soon followed, and stepped into the titan's room.


         Lord Tesson stood in awe for a moment before speaking to Nathalya.

         "You know," he began.  "When my brother first made me, he told me that there would be no inequality between us.  That all changed after Erath was destroyed.  He was so surprised the humans could act so violently after being given a gift of great power.  It's true that I may have nudged them one way or another, but he was so soft on them.

         "Before the final blow, he showed them mercy, and wasted all that we had worked for.  Now that I have you and the master titan within my grasp, I will fulfill the task of uniting the system.  But first, I will see that Shadowmoore is destroyed, along with my human loving brother."

         He stepped closer to the pit.  Nathalya moved and placed herself between Tesson and the titan.

         "You'll have to kill me," said Nathalya. "I'll never allow you to control the titan."

         "Come, come, now, young one," he replied. "There is no need for hostilities between us.  If you cooperate, I may just spare your friends here."

         Ralphael, Falson, Shepard, and Toomes were brought before Tesson and pushed to their knees once again.  Tesson drew a gold inlaid pistol.

         "It's easy.  Just swear yourself to me so that when you enter the titan, I will have full control."

         "I won't," said Nathalya defiantly.  Lord Tesson frowned, then put his pistol against the back of Falson's head.  Falson look up at Nathalya and shook his head, encouraging her not to give in.

         "You don't want to be responsible for this one's death do you?  Swear to me," said Tesson.

         "Never," Nathalya shook her head as she looked into Falson's eyes.  There was a loud pop and Falson fell forward to his stomach, the pistol in Tesson's hand smoking. Nathalya wracked her mind in an effort to come up with some plan, but nothing came to mind.  She could only watch as Falson's blood flowed between the cracks in the cold stone floor.

         "Tisk, tisk," Tesson taunted as he reloaded the pistol and then brought it to rest behind Sergeant Ralphael's head.

         "You son of a b-" started Ralphael, but he stopped when he heard Tesson cock back the pistol's hammer.

         "This one still has some fight in him, young one," said Tesson.  "Are you sure you wish to condemn him to death?  Swear to me, and all can be forgiven."

         Nathalya looked into Ralphael's eyes as she had done with Falson.

         "Don't you do it, Harms!" Ralphael shouted.  His outburst was met with a strike of the pistol butt.  He staggered to his knees again.  Nathalya bowed her head. 

         "No," she said, quietly, but firmly. She shut her eyes when she heard the crack of the pistol, followed by the slump of Ralphael's body as it hit the floor.

         "Damn you, Tesson!" shouted Nathalya. Tesson did not reply.  He simply reloaded the pistol and took position behind Shepard.  Her face had a look of terror, but quickly turned to a defiant smile as she came to terms with her inevitable fate.

         "You're going down hard, Tesson.  You just don't know it yet," she said.  Nathalya caught the wink in her eye.

         "Is that so?" asked Tesson, becoming angry.  "And just how will that come about?"

         "It'll look something like this!" shouted Shepard.  She pulled a small hidden pistol from her boot and spun in place.  Nathalya took the cue and ran to the railing.  She heard a yell and then a gunshot as she leapt over the barrier and down into the pit.

         Just before she hit the ground after falling for what seemed like an age, she blinked.  It wasn't soon enough, however, and the impact was still great enough to shatter both of her ankles.  She heard the sickening crunch and then crumbled to the ground.  She screamed in pain before looking up at the titan, her face an image of agony and desperation.

         "Take me..," she said softly.  The titan stood motionless.

         "Take me, please.  Take me," she repeated.  Still the titan remained unmoving.

         "Take me, now!" she shouted.  "I am the daughter of Nathalya and the grand-daughter of Kel'Anor.  I give myself to you.  Orion!"

         The titan roared to life!  It illuminated the entire hall in a bright, burning white light.  The on-looking Corrinites shielded their eyes from the spectacle.  Lord Tesson tried to watch despite the overwhelming brightness, but he could see nothing but white.  He couldn't see the titan take a step forward. Couldn't see it reach down and set its weapons down in order to pick Nathalya's body up from the floor.  He also couldn't see...as the titan held her close to it's chest.

         The shade of Bal'Ghaz, appearing on a balcony overlooking the titan, could, however, see everything, and he watched as Nathalya's body faded away as it became one with the titan.  He tried to command the titan, but found it impossible.  The will of Nathalya's spirit was too strong.  Whether some grace given to her by Kel'Anor or her own anguish driving the titan forward, Bal'Ghaz could only stand by as Orion lifted it's arms and began to climb out of the pit.  It was too massive in the hall and its head crashed through the ceiling, showering the Corrinites with crushing boulders.

         With an upward thrust of it's arm, it punched through the ceiling and pulled the ground in around itself.  The titan was in it's element as it moved unimaginable amounts of earth. Soon, the entire hall had collapsed, burying the Corrinites as well as the Alliance company forever. 

         Orion pulled itself out of the wreckage and stood towering over the terrain below.  The sun shone brightly overhead and the sky was blotched with puffs of the purest white clouds.  It walked a few steps, passing the body of a dead stripe-furred stalker below - several dead Corrinites lay around him - and began to dig. Carefully, like a masterful shaper of worlds, it removed enormous chunks of earth until it reached the main hall where Wells had attempted to draw the attention of the Corrinites away from Nathalya. It found what it was looking for, and gently removed Wells' body from the hall.  It could sense her heart beating, her chest moving slowly in and out.

         

         Orion held her close as it headed in the direction of Xera.  It easily bounded over the plains and hills and stepped gingerly through the forest and woodlands.  When it neared Xera's perimeter, it was met with soldiers carrying heavy artillery. They shouted for it to halt, and it did so.  As a sign of peace, it sank to its knees and held forward the body of Wells.

         For several minutes, nobody moved and a tense standoff ensued.  Finally, one soldier stepped forward, wrapped in bandages.  He had blue eyes and brown hair.  He approached the titan cautiously.  Orion nodded in permission.  The soldier then ran forward to retrieve the unconscious Wells.  He looked down at her face and saw where she had received the glancing blow over her left temple.  He also saw something else very curious; Wells was wearing a pair of thin, black-framed glasses.

         Wells took a sharp breath and opened her eyes for just a moment as he held her tightly, as if to never lose her again.

         "K-Kale," she said weakly. "Why am I wearing glasses?"

         She drifted out of consciousness before DeVega could answer her.  He looked up at the titan, still kneeling quietly before the compound, it's head cocked slightly to the left.

         "Nathalya..," said DeVega.  "You brought her back to me."

         The titan said nothing, but instead brought a finger up to where its lips would be, and then, with the same finger, touched Wells lightly on the forehead.

         "Thank you," said DeVega.  "I'll take good care of her for you, I promise."


         The titan stood at length.  It held a hand up in farewell.  DeVega set Wells carefully down and stood to his full height, then brought his hand up in a slow salute.  Though he grimaced in pain, he held the salute firmly.  Orion lowered its hand and then turned and walked away.

         DeVega dropped the salute and knelt again to lift Wells.  He cradled her in his arms and then turned and walked passed the line of soldiers, who were breathing sighs of relief that there had not been an engagement.

         DeVega took her directly to the airfield and boarded a craft bound for The Constable.  He set her down on a seat made of cargo netting before strapping himself in.  Minutes later, as DeVega stroked Wells' brow, they lifted off and were soaring high above.  He watched the terrain below pass by as the pilot followed his course.  In the distance, he could see it; the new guardian of El'Anorath, standing on the hilltops overlooking the lands beyond.

         He knew that Orion would let no further harm come to the lands already ravaged by war.  Human life was too precious to waste on fighting and wars for greedy purposes...even if they were Corrinites.  DeVega knew that war could never again come to El'Anorath, whatever the reasons.

         "Farewell El'Anorath," he said out of his window as the lonely war-torn planet became smaller and smaller. "Farewell...Nathalya."


© Copyright 2015 Matthew (UN: catalyst1987 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Matthew has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843543